New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Rangefinder for Christmas
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am wanting a new rangefinder for Christmas. I new that Leica is probably the best, but not sure I can swing that much money right now. It will be used mostly for bowhunting and rifle hunting in the South. Accurate reading out to 600yds should suffice. Must be lightweight and easy to pack.

Based on that, what do you guys suggest? I was looking at the Nikon buckmaster series b/c it fits into my budget.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JB,

You really did not specify your budget, but in my opinion all the Nikon Rangefinders are very nice rangefinders. I would recommend any one of them.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You do not state what budget you would like to stay in, however, a couple of suggestions would be either the Leica LRF 800 @ $339.99 or a Leica LRF 1200 Scan @ $429.99?

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3672 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jb177: I suggest you hold a garage sale and opt for the Leica 800.
I use my Leica 800 virtually year round - for every thing from Spring Bear Hunting in April to Hunting Coyotes in December to Prairie Dogs in August and every month in between for more Varmints of all kinds, Antelope, Deer and Elk.
I love this ranger!
I have owned two other models (different brands) in the past and the Leica easily outperformed them.
Yes, sell something and/or borrow some money from a relative but get the Leica.
By the way the Leica 800 Model name is a reference to 800 "meters" (what ever the hell those are?) and actually ranges in "yards" to 880 yards!
That covers ALL my needs.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I'm sold on the Nikon rangefinders. My Monarch 800 ranged an antelope last season at 657 yards, which is considerably farther than most people should shoot at one !!!

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, DO NOT get the top of the line Bushnell, it sucks. I haven't tried the current lesser Bushnell model (the 800?). BTW, I really like Bushnell Elite Scopes, not the same animal.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I'll have to wait until I get rich to buy the Leica or the cheaper units become better. I can't justify that amt of dollars for something I might use 4-5 times a year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For $224.99 there is always the Nikon 800 refurb on our demo list. It is, IMO, the best quality in that price range

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3672 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of warranties does the refurb have?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has a 90 day warranty. This gives you more than enough time to run it thru its paces and make sure all is well with it and that it is in perfect working order.

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The Monarch 800 from Nikon is a good RFer.

I've used mine on several hunts now and really like the ease and accuracy. My guide really liked in in CO this year. He had used Bushnell in the past but said they didn't even compare to the Monarch that he ranged my Bull w/.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
The quandry I always get into with a rangefinder is trying to decide to use it with binoculars or in place of binoculars. This issue mainly comes up when bowhunting and trying to avoid having four things around my neck at a time (the other two being a grunt tube and rattling antlers). It seems to me that a rangefinder should either be very small (so as to fit in a pocket) or very bright (so to able to replace the binocs). I have no use for a rangefinder that is neither.

For your purpose, I would dismiss the long yardage models, their capacity for accuracy is wasted at bowhunting ranges and in the woods. If you decide to go for the high light transmission side, leaving the binocs at home, The Leica is IMO the best choice. Side by side, they destroy the Nikon Monarch or Buckmaster. I haven't tried Nikon's Monarch Gold, but their price is right up there with the Leica's anyway. If you decide to go small then the Nikons will serve you well.

Gabe

Gabe

Pa to three sons
Sambone 5
Catcher 3
Heebies 1
Husband to one wife
the Cluck

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote