Find
Notify
Tools

In need of new Bino's
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Anyone have any to suggest? I have some cheap ones but it is time to get some good ones! Possible 10x42+ or so

I really like the Swaro's, Leica's, and Ziess

Post pics if you can, past experiences or whatnot

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have both leica and swaro's and now use only the swaros because i had a problem with the leicas and they wouldn't stand behind their warranty

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Which pair of Swaros do you have?

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Also, what is the difference between each of the models that Swarovski has to offer? SLC, EL, etc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SLC's are the most sold binoculars throughout the world. ive never looked through a pair but they must be good. I was really impressed with my Minox BR 8.5X52 these are the high grade model. they are really bright and a very sharp crisp image. really good at dawn and dusk! + half the price of swaro

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of 10x25 Swaro compacts that I got from another member. I just love them. I took them sheep hunting this year, my partner was always looking thru them. They are light, compact and you hardly know their around your neck until you need them. Best binos I have ever had.

Posts: 561 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Swarvo 8x30 SLC. Bought them for my Africa trips. Very small, light, and plenty of magnafication for African conditions. You can wear them all day without any neck or shoulder issues. Plenty rugged, too. Highly recomend them.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
The only way you are going to be able to make a choice is to handle, look through and compare them with your own eyes. Once properly focused, stack two pairs and look back and forth through each of them at distant, hard to resolve objects and the better of the two to your eyes will become apparent.

I prefer the Zeiss Victory T* FLs over both the Swarovski EL or Leica Ultravid. However, the others may feel better and have a better view to you when you compare them.

I'd also look at the Leupold Gold Ring HD, Bushnell Elite, Pentax DCF ED, Nikon Premier LXL, Minox HG ASPH, and Stokes DLS.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my swaros are the el's. to my eyes they are sharper and brighter than the trinovids. they are also a bit bigger and bulkier. have to agree with 69deer on the minis - i bought a pair from another member for my son and they are great. the problem i had with the leicas was that something in the hinge gave way and the barrels were pointing in 2 different directions. When i called to see about sending them back, they just said that it was a warranty problem and to send 250 check with them & they'd fix them. I guess the hinging isn't part of the lifetime warranty

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
A)ZEISS VICTORY (Mine a 8x56 for night hunting)
B)SWAROVSKI
C)LEICA
C)KHALES (Made by Swarovski)
D)STEINER PREDATOR,WARNING:NOT PEREGRINE OR OTHER MODEL, I HAVE A PREDATOR 10X42.
E)ZEISS CONQUEST LINE
F)LEUPOLD MADE IN USA
ALL OTHER ARE CHINESE PIECE OF S.....

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Swaro 8x30 SLCs which are very good and also Kahles 8x42s which are alos excellent for a little more than half what my Swaros cost. Highly recommend either.

Cheers,
Andy

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I have had too many Swarovski Binos and scopes with mold or moisture problems so I now use Leica .

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Swaro 7x42 SLC's that I just bought. I had no ability to compare binox because no stores carry all of them locally.
Based on viewing through them, all I can say is they are great.
I bought mine from Doug at Cameraland, and had the binox at my door three days after placing the order. My purchase was based on comments by an Optics Physist who did compare these to the other top brands. He recommended the SLC's and owns the same binox, so I bought them too.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Contact greatfuldoug here on the forum. I bought a pair of Minox 10x43 from him. I have Swaro's, Zeiss and Nikon. I promise you they are as good as any of the ones I have. And the cost is very nice....I think $700-800. I am very happy with the Minox and would buy another pair should I ever need to. I don't mind spending the $$, but when I get a great glass for less $$....I can go buy another double rifle!

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I talked to a Minox staff guy at the 2006 SHOT Show about their then new HG binos. He told me their goal was to produce binos that were within a few percent of the top products, but at half the cost.

Minox is independent now, but used to be a part of the Leica organization.

This year I snagged a pair of Minox 8X33 HG binos, and they are excellent. My wife has seized them for her own. I still have my Swaro 8.5X42 EL bino for my main glass.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just returned from a hunt in Wyoming. I use Swaro's in 10x42 and 8x30. The guide used Leupold 10x42's. The difference was amazing. He kept borrowing mine and wanted them. I would go with Swaro's but you really need to get to a Bass PRo or Cabelas and look through several to see for your self

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
I just listed a New pair of Swarvs in 10x25 Green compacts,super clear..I will well them for $599.99 shipped.I have had them all and I like these the best,but dont need them now...
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2711043/m/771103447

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote here for Minox, mine are the 8.5X43 HG. Maybe if I used them every day in life I might consider going to twice the money for a tiny improvement but in my view they are more than good enough for almost every use. Everyone who has tried them has wanted, or bought, a pair. On top of that they have just survived 3 pretty hard weeks without any problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an older Zeiss 8x56 and my friend has a new Leica 10x42 with the built in range finder. We were glassing an alfalfa field in the evening and my Zeiss were still useful after there wasn't enough light for his Leicas.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got the Swaro 8x30 SLC's and the Leica 10x42 Trinovids; love them both, the SCL's in my truck and the Leicas for hunting the open-west... As I've posted elsewhere, my experience with Leica Customer Service was great...I'd agree that you should go and handle/look thru each brand and type, don't think you could go wrong with the "big 3" (Zeiss being the 3rd)

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two pair of Swarovski 8x30's and 3 pair of Leica's (10x25, 10x32 and 10x42 Ultravids). Both Swarovski and Leica are excellent, but I "really" like the Leica Ultravid's, in fact I don't even take my spotting scope to the range anymore when shooting at 100 yards, as I can see fine with the 10x42's.

I don't know what kind of hunting you do, but for "all around use", I would look hard at the Leica Ultravid 8x32. I have been thinking about adding them to my collection.

Bottom line is look through both and see which feel best to you - you really can't go wrong.

My Swarovski 8x30's fogged up on one side while caribou hunting in Alaska. I continued to use the one good side as a monocular until I got home and then I sent them back in for repair. Swarovski fixed them no charge. Lesson learned now I take at least 2 pair.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best $$ I have ever spent on hunting gear was the Leica 8x42 binos purchased about 8 years back. I have had no regrets.

While making my decision I looked at all the major brands and selected the Swarovski or Leica models as the best choice for me. The Zeiss Classic series were not waterproof and the Night Owls were just to big. I searched the camera supply websites and bought the Leicas over the Swaro's on price alone.

If I had to do it over today I'd follow the same method of looking through every pair I could and buying the best I could afford.

Regards,

Dan

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote