New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me pick a scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've recently gotten my late grandfather's 1946 FN Mauser .30-06. He passed 9 years ago, but my grandmother continued living in the house until just recently when she moved into an assisted living center. She'd always wanted me to have it and intended that I have it, but now needs me to have it for space reasons and has blessed my hunting with it. It presently has a 4x Weaver with the a post-and-crosshair reticle of the same vintage as the rifle. I plan to replace the scope for several reasons. Mostly because the glass just isn't up to par with the Nikon and Swarovski and Zeiss and Pentax stuff I'm accustomed to looking through. But also because I want to have total confidence in my equipment. And 1946 vintage optics just aren't the same as today's stuff.

So the question is: what do I replace it with? I'd like to stay with the same sort of thing: a fixed power scope with a hunting reticle. IOR Valdada makes a fixed 4X with a German No. 4 reticle. I thought about something from the Leupold Custom Shop with a German No. 1 reticle, but their website doesn't seem to show any fixed power scopes. Zeiss discontinued the 4X Conquest. Leupold still makes some fixed power scopes and there are some very inexpensive fixed power scopes available. But they have duplex reticles.

So does anyone have any suggestions? Used would be fine. I need to keep the price in the few hundred dollar range. Say, $400 or less. And I want a German No. 1, German No. 4, or post-and-crosshair reticle. I do not want a duplex reticle. I don't like them generally for hunting and they don't fit the history of the gun.

Thanks in advance for your input.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally like and have in all my hunting rifles the Leupold 4x scope. The FXII is my favorite and this scope is almost bullet proof in its toughness. The optics of the scope are very good indeed with a very forgiving eye relief. In my opinion this is almost the perfect hunting scope. As to different reticles, call Leupold customer service at: 1-800-LEUPOLD, if I remember correctly they can put some of their special reticles on the 4x scope.

Also there is a Leupold 3x straight tube scope that is also very good see the links below for info:

Mate:
http://swfa.com/Leupold-3x20-F...flescope-P50855.aspx

Gloss:
http://swfa.com/Leupold-3x20-F...flescope-P50862.aspx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting is all about eyes and seeing.
I once had a Weaver K 2.5 post and crosshair on a Savage 340 in 30-30 cal. My 22 at the time had plain cross hairs. I always loathed both reticles, especially the post because it made varmit and group shooting more difficult. I have also used the extra fine X hairs and 1/8 minute dots in bench rest scopes. I very much came to appreciate the lowlight capability of the duplex crosshairs along with the small intersection for group and varmint shooting. Like the improved optics the reticles are much improved. The clunky post reticles belong in the dumpster with old optics.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Leupold will put the German reticle in any scope they make. and you can get it in some off the shelf ones too. Look at the VXR; you get the german #4 reticle and it is illuminated for 450 or so. 30mm like Germans like.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your replies. I've been in touch with Leupold about changing a reticle in a scope.

Best regards for the New Year.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote