THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ziess or leupold? (not a political debate!)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am an individual that can only aford to buy a good scope when I am sure it will actually be a good reliable accurate scope that I didn't waist my money on. I know there has been a lot of debate about european vs american and I don't really care. I just need a scope that after I buy it I'm not going to regret buying it. Advertisements and debating have left me no choice but to choose out of fear of loss of money.
I just traded in many of my rifles for an all purpose rifle in 338 win mag caliber and currently have a nikon scope. The nikon just isn't performing to my expectaions. I seem to have a problem with geting the recticle to be in focus with the target.
I have tryed pointing it to the sky and focusing, pointing at a target and focusing, but I feel the slow screw focus of this scope gets to my eyes befor I can get it properly focused.
I'm seriously thinking about a fixed power scope in ziess or leupold to replace my nikon. I'm willing to pay about $500 for a scope that will give a clear sharp image along with having predictable repeatable adjustments. I will mostly be hunting out to 200 yards, but if I find a great scope that allows me to shoot further I want to be able to take game at a farther range. I never will hunt beyond 500 yards and probable will never exceed 400 yards.

Here's what I'm looking at:
Leupold FX-3 6x42mm Wide duplex ($380)
Ziess Conquest 3-9x40mm Rapid Z 600 ($525)
Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x 40mm Boone and crocket ($550)
I'd love to be sure that if accuracy isn't that great that it's not the scope, but it's the rifle or me.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 - end of the story, you'll never regret it. Best scope for the money these days.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 12FVSS260
posted Hide Post
Zeiss conquest will meet your needs for sure. I prefer the etched reticle - constant eye relief - euro fast focus - finish - and most of all the glass. Best in class for my eyes. Shop around and be sure and check Optics Zone and Cameraland before buying.

Dave

If Accurate Rifles are Interesting.........I've Got Some Savage Rifles That Are Getting Mighty Interesting.....

Posts: 257 | Location: Central Maine | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
If you are having problems focusing a Nikon Monarch, you will have problems with any other scope as well.

I suggest getting a checkup with the eye doctor before looking to make a scope purchase.

If your eyes check out fine, then have Nikon fix your scope as there is obviously a problem.

There is little difference in overall optical quality between the Monarchs and Zeiss Conquests -- so little, in fact, that the human eye would have a hard time detecting as much. Nonetheless, the Zeiss does grade out slightly better.

The Leupold VX-3 comes in third in this race...

www.theopticzone.com has the best prices I have seen anywhere for Nikon products.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Zeiss, without a doubt. Check with Jon at The Optic Zone and you will find the best service and the best price.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I own Leupold, Swarovski, and Zeiss scopes, and for the money, the Zeiss Conquest is the best. I have Conquests in 2.5-8, 3-9, 4.5-14, and 6.5-20, and I would have to say my favorite is the 3-9.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Either of the variable scopes in Zeiss or Leupold will serve you well. Let your eyes tell you which one you want... The Zeiss seems to be a bit clearer and the Leupold's are very durable and probably the best backed you will find... But again, either one is a very good choice....

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a Leupold VX-I and stick the remaining $300 back in your pocket. As an optical gun sight for a hunting rifle, it will do everything that a more expensive scope (including those in Leupold's own product line) will do, but in many ways, such as eye placement, hermetric sealing, and weight/size, will do better.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Get a Leupold VX-I and stick the remaining $300 back in your pocket. As an optical gun sight for a hunting rifle, it will do everything that a more expensive scope (including those in Leupold's own product line) will do, but in many ways, such as eye placement, hermetric sealing, and weight/size, will do better.

get a pair of chanel locks and a 4' cheater bar to turn the power ring while your at it.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get a Leupold VX-I and stick the remaining $300 back in your pocket. As an optical gun sight for a hunting rifle, it will do everything that a more expensive scope (including those in Leupold's own product line) will do...

I will acknowledge that VX-I scopes are decent scopes, but you are grossly over exaggerating the price differences. I bought a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 for $375 delivered and a Conquest 2.5-8 for $355 delivered, and the last time I checked VX-I cost more than $50-75 (VX-I 3-9 $220 at Optics Planet).

I don't intend to be argumentative but just want to get the number a little closer to a correct comparison.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
If you are having problems focusing a Nikon Monarch, you will have problems with any other scope as well.

I suggest getting a checkup with the eye doctor before looking to make a scope purchase.

If your eyes check out fine, then have Nikon fix your scope as there is obviously a problem.

There is little difference in overall optical quality between the Monarchs and Zeiss Conquests -- so little, in fact, that the human eye would have a hard time detecting as much. Nonetheless, the Zeiss does grade out slightly better.

The Leupold VX-3 comes in third in this race...

www.theopticzone.com has the best prices I have seen anywhere for Nikon products.

well, I have held a ziess up and messed with the focus and there is a huge difference between it and the Nikon pro staff

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
In your original post, you just said "Nikon" with no reference as to Pro Staff, Monarch or BuckMasters. So I assumed you were comparing scopes on a level playing field. But I stand corrected; you were not doing so.

You can not compare the Pro Staff to Zeiss -- that's a $100, entry-level scope vs. a high dollar model.

Take a look at the Monarch and then decide...

But if it's strictly Leupold VX-2 or 3 vs. Zeiss Conquest, then the Zeiss wins hands-down.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I own or have owned all the scopes you mentioned in your post.

IMO,
The Leupold 6X42 is a very nice scope. Eye placement is VERY forgiving. It's an easy scope to live with. The only time you won't like it is up close and on moving game. The FOV is a little tight for either application. Still, I like this scope!

The 3.5-10X40 is a scope I could never warm up to. Eye placement is critical and the resolution I thought was a big letdown. The one I owned broke twice, both times in the field. This scope soured me on Leupolds for a looong time. IMO, you could do a lot better with your cash.

The Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 is an amazing buy for the money. I've not tried the rapid-Z nor would I ever feel the need to. The standard Z-Plex reticle to me is what all others should be judged by. It's thick and works great in low light situations, but is thin in the cross hairs and works great for target work. It's bright and the clarity is amazing. I've heard people complain about eye placement with this scope, but I've never had any trouble with it myself. On the down side this is an ugly scope. The plastic turret caps just look cheap and if you're the type that likes to hunt with a nice looking rig, well,,,,.

It's also a little portly, but you're putting it on a Hawkeye so you really don't need a featherweight scope anyway.

Personally, I would probably go for the Zeiss because of it's versatility, but I own a FXIII 6X42 that I use a lot.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek-

**I have edited this post. It was written after being up for 3 days: my brain was dead, and I left out some info that I feel is necessary**

I usually agree with you 100 percent on most optic issues, but the VX-1 comment...well, I'll have to put in my .02 as to my experiences.

I've handled a number of these and sighted in rifles for others with this particular series. Some could give you an instant headache just trying to clearly see the 100 yard target.

The resolving power, in all cases, was quite poor -- with some quite worse than others. On one, the adjustments were rather muddy, and there were gremlins inside of the scope that moved each time the rifle recoiled.

Bt these were early on -- soon after the introduction of the VX-1. Current versions seem MUCH better, with typical Leupold quality.

Now the Rifleman, on the other hand, is a real piece of work and features all of the aforementioned "qualities" described above. I've yet to see one of these thta I'd want to own.

If the early VX-1 and current Rifleman scopes weren't stamped "Leupold," I'd have sworn I was looking through a $39.99 scope. Then again, perhaps I was...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
while i have to say that i have been a loyal leupold customer for decades, my GO_TO rifle wears a Zeiss and I cant see ever changing that.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Go Zeiss you will not be sorry!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used both and prefer the Leupold due to clarity for my laser enhanced vision. Buy what looks best to you.

Posts: 182 | Location: Up the holler in WV | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Stonecreek-
Bt these were early on -- soon after the introduction of the VX-1. Current versions seem MUCH better, with typical Leupold quality.

Bobby, I guess I was lucky and missed any of the VX-I's from the "bad" batches. All of the several I've worked with have been flawless. Leupold claims to have made some upgrades to this line after the first year or so, but I take everything I hear from Leupold with a big grain of salt in that it is generated from their marketing department and then filtered through their PR firm, so it is about as dependable as pronouncements from the current crop of presidential candidates.

quote:
I will acknowledge that VX-I scopes are decent scopes, but you are grossly over exaggerating the price differences. I bought a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 for $375 delivered and a Conquest 2.5-8 for $355 delivered, and the last time I checked VX-I cost more than $50-75 (VX-I 3-9 $220 at Optics Planet).

Jeff: The original poster had mention two scopes that he says costs $525-$550, so I just rounded the $305-$330 difference in the cost of a VX-I to $300. May I be forgiven?

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jeff: The original poster had mention two scopes that he says costs $525-$550, so I just rounded the $305-$330 difference in the cost of a VX-I to $300. May I be forgiven?

Sounds like I am the one who needs forgiveness. I completely misinterpreted your post, and upon re-reading my own writing, I sure do sound like a smart ass.

My apologies, sir.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek wrote:
quote:
...I take everything I hear from Leupold with a big grain of salt in that it is generated from their marketing department and then filtered through their PR firm, so it is about as dependable as pronouncements from the current crop of presidential candidates.

Please stop now! My side still hurts from all the laughing I just did... rotflmo

In all seriousness, though, I guess those "upgrades" really did come to fruition as I no longer see any of the poor quality in the current crop of VX1s. The Rifleman, however, is another story altogether...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?display_num=10&m...e=-1&hide_sold=false

This guy has free shipping over $300, and I just saved $54 over cabelas on one item.

www.theopticzone.com

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With our dollar rapidly shrinking, and if you want european optics, you might do so. I bet by years end or early next year, most european optics will take another price increase.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is a fixed power you want, then look real close at the Meopta.

Your prices are off a bit IMO.

Of the scopes you listed the Zeiss would be the best.

If you are scaling down all your rifles to just one rifle of superior quality, then I would raise my price to pay, and get a truly superior scope. Take a close look at the Swarovski A-line in the 3-10X. Or one of the IOR's, or Meopta's. These scopes are truly superior, and you will use them for the rest of your life. If you buy one of these superior scopes you will thank yourself every time you hunt with them. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 12FVSS260
posted Hide Post
Conquests are serviced and warrantied in Virginia. Usually take about two weeks from my experience. I wonder with the amount of parts and assembly work taking place in the US if the conquest line will be much effected by the dollars fall? I believe the erectors are the main part still produced and shipped over from Germany. Be interesting to see if it has any effect on this scope. Cameraland is selling 3x9x40's for $375....

Dave

If Accurate Rifles are Interesting.........I've Got Some Savage Rifles That Are Getting Mighty Interesting.....

Posts: 257 | Location: Central Maine | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12FVSS260:
Cameraland is selling 3x9x40's for $375....

I bought a Conquest 2.5-8 from Cameraland last week for $355 delivered. I haven't mounted it yet, but it sure is a small, lightweight scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mid oct i pulled my 308 BLR out of the safe and when i looked thru thescope i noticed the lens gave off a yellowish tint.
i called leupold and they said they would take care of it.
I sent the scope to them w/ a letter explaining that the scope had a yellow tint.
2 weeks later i get the scope back and the blue worksheet listed customer complaint as " windage adjustment problem".
i called leupold and told them and they sent a pick up ticket for the scope. i sent the scope back and today I got it back. guess what. still yellow. I just got off the phone w/ leupold and after much back and forth they said they will send me a replacement scope, and that that scope schould have never left the repair facility.
so theres a play by play. you be the judge.
for me, ill probably never buy another Leupold product. this issue and the issue w/ the power ring on the $200 VX1 has burned me on them.
ill buy a conquest for the BLR and be done with it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
K Stephens ---Yes you had some hassle that should not have happened. But you are getting a new scope. Try getting even a minor problem with a Bushnell resolved one time and you'll appreciate Leupold. I did send one very doggy looking scope I bought off EBAY to Leupold. They called me and said they could fix it,but for cosmetic purposes I might want to upgrade. They offered me the scope I really wanted at a price I couldnt refuse. I had multiple experiences--all bad--very bad with Bushnell.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman:
K Stephens ---Yes you had some hassle that should not have happened. But you are getting a new scope. Try getting even a minor problem with a Bushnell resolved one time and you'll appreciate Leupold. I did send one very doggy looking scope I bought off EBAY to Leupold. They called me and said they could fix it,but for cosmetic purposes I might want to upgrade. They offered me the scope I really wanted at a price I couldnt refuse. I had multiple experiences--all bad--very bad with Bushnell.

youre not going to find a bushnell on any of my rifles.
im headed to zeissland for my serious needs from now on. expect to see the leupold replacemnt scope in the classifieds as soon as it gets here.

One of Us
Picture of 12FVSS260
posted Hide Post
quote:
Try getting even a minor problem with a Bushnell resolved one time and you'll appreciate Leupold. I had multiple experiences--all bad--very bad with Bushnell.

Ain't that the truth, they can make a simple problem become a 12 week repair issue. I've had four dealings with bushnell and the last three made me wonder why they offer any service or warranty at all. Leupold and zeiss are the companies that make you glad you picked them if anything arises. I've gotten so spoiled with conquests thats about all I buy anymore.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
head0001, $500 extra dollars is a lot of money to me, plus I want to get a scope for my pistol too. maybe farther in the future when I might have a better paying job, I'll spend way more on a scope and other things I buy.
I agree that if I'm going to make this my main rifle and keep it for ever I might as well get an awsome scope, but I just can't afford it

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gohip2000:
head0001, $500 extra dollars is a lot of money to me, plus I want to get a scope for my pistol too. maybe farther in the future when I might have a better paying job, I'll spend way more on a scope and other things I buy.
I agree that if I'm going to make this my main rifle and keep it for ever I might as well get an awsome scope, but I just can't afford it

I am a little confused by this post. Are REALLY buying a scope or not?

There has been some good, sound advice offered here, and now it sounds like you are just tire-kicking.

You keep mentioning "$500" and some scopes that you are interested in, but if you take some of the advice offered and do your homework, I believe all the scopes you mentioned can be had for much less than the $500 you claim to be willing to spend.

It is time to crap or get off the pot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As chance would have it I have all three of the scopes on the list. All are decent, but I prefer the VX111 3.5-10 out of the bunch. The Conquest is bulky, needs to be mounted higher, and is on the short side for eye relief. It doesn't hold a candle to an older American 3-9 Diavari"C" I also have.
As much as I like the FX111, fixed powers don't fit into my life as well as variables.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Sullivan:
quote:
Originally posted by gohip2000:

I am a little confused by this post. Are REALLY buying a scope or not?

There has been some good, sound advice offered here, and now it sounds like you are just tire-kicking.

You keep mentioning "$500" and some scopes that you are interested in, but if you take some of the advice offered and do your homework, I believe all the scopes you mentioned can be had for much less than the $500 you claim to be willing to spend.

It is time to crap or get off the pot.

I was refering to the suggestion for the Swarovski scopes. I said I can't afford to pay an EXTRA $500 over the price of the scopes I listed. Yes there has been a lot of good suggestions and I've been reading them all. I am not just "tire kicking," I am replying to some of the people that posted mainly explaining why I don't buy a $1000 scope.
Your sarcasm is not appreciated. thank you to all the other posters for your good replies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 - end of the story, you'll never regret it. Best scope for the money these days.
- mike

I concur but don't understand your problem with the Nikon, They are fine scopes too. I have several and don't have the same problem.

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My choica and advice would be Leupold. Every year for the past 15 I've worked at our local range doing big game hunter sight-ins and I've gotten to see and shoot a lot of different ones over those years. The European (Zeiss and Swarovski) do have nice clear optics, but to my eye anyway, no more clear than a Leupold VX-III. In my experience the Leupold has more consistent adjustments and easier eye relief. The European scopes also tend to be bulkier (especially the ocular) which makes them harder to mount low.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold VX-1 3x9x40 on my A-Bolt 270 WN and it works great. Very clear and accurate, but that is my experience. I also have a Burris Signature Select 3x12x44 on my A-Bolt 338 WN Mag and it is one tough scope. The focus ring was a little difficult to turn when I bought it and they immediately said they would send me a call tag and I sent it in and the turn around time was about a week. The price is in your range and it has their forever warranty.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Allen Glore of Alaska Optics, he posts in the classified forums on a regular basis. I picked up a VXIII 2.5-8X36 for $365 delivered last year and recently a friend just bought a VXI 3-9X40 off of him for $175 delivered. He sells Zeiss and most other optics as well.

Alaska Optics

Another good guy to check out in the classified forum is Doug at Camera Land in NY. He post under the name gr8fuldoug. I've never bought any scopes off of him but he gave me a great deal on my digital camera I took to AK.

Camera Land

These guys have given me better deals on quality goods than I could have found locally.

One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
My choice is Leoupold. They are american made locally here in Portland. Lifetime warranty period. They will fix or replace for any reason. I can drive to their factory in 30 minutes and they have a great reputation.

The Zeiss has a great rep too. Either way you will not be disappointed, but that is just my $.02. Good luck.

Wink

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not convinced about these claims that the Zeiss Conquest is the best scope going.

I have a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10 x 44. It's certainly a good scope, but I have regrets about buying it. I think I could have gotten something at least as good from Nikon or Leupold or others, for less money.

I've never owned one, but one day at the range another shooter had a rifle with a Khales scope. I asked to look through it, and saw the crispest image I've ever seen from any scope. That was just one case on one day, but I was impressed.

Similar, but opposite, incident with Swarovski: a shooter had a number of rifles with Swarovski scopes on them. I asked to look through them and was not impressed. OK image, but nothing better than what I see through scopes that cost considerably less.

Optical quality is not the only criterion for quality in a scope. Mechanical reliability, sturdiness, ability to maintain reticle placement through power changes (i.e. does the reticle move on the target when you change the scope from its lowest power setting through its entire range to the highest setting), manufacturer's honoring of warranties (or failure to do so), weight, kind of reticle, dim-light performance, and so on -- all those and more are important considerations too.

My advice: look at and handle (and shoot too, if possible!) as many scopes as you can, and then buy the one that that floats your boat, for whatever reason (the reason(s) being the one(s) that most count to you).

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote