New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold Quick Release Rings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any issues with reliability or repeatability with Leupold Quick Release Rings? Will be on a Remmy LTR with 4.5x30x50 Bushnell 30mm tube and EGW picatinny rail.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I use them on all my rifles, to facilitate cleaning, allow scopes to be shifted and on my large bore DG rifles to allow use of irons in heavy bush. Been using them for over 15 years without any incident. Have tested return to zero and it is always true. Easy to install yourself as well. These are the QR model which requires the Leupold mount and rings.

Sounds like you are considering the QRW model on a non-Leupold mount?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As previously mentioned, I have also used them for a number of years on prone match type rifles where at times you must start out with micrometer/peep sight set up and the last stage is optics. Never had a zero problem and quick and easy to put on or install the scope. Critical when you don't have any sighters that the scope goes on and holds wherever you have it zeroed.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine have always been ok. Even the one on a 375 H&H Never used that big of a scope though. If it is a hard kicker it might not be the best choice.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have most rifles set up for Leupold QR rings and bases. Never an issue.
I swap scopes around a lot, and keeping scopes off rifles makes for better rifle nesting in the gun safe. Too good reasons as I see it.
I keep three high power scopes with the Leupold QR rings on them just for load work; 16x, 20x and 24x. I like the instant feedback on shots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the base is squared up, the scope tube is straight, and you lap the rings with a lapping bar for 80% contact; you should have no problem with LEU QRW. I just installed LEU QRW and a LEU scope on a Sako A7 which uses a 2pc base. I had no problem easily shooting under one MOA at 200 yards, running a round robin on the scope and going back to the same POI, as well as taking the scope on and off and shooting into the same group.

BestSmiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have used this system on several rifle, including two 416 Rem. with complete reliability and apparent stability of zero. Leupold told me the QR is as strong as their double dovetail mount. They also said their variable scopes are as durable as their fixed power scopes and a VX1 is as durable as a VX3, the difference being optical quality.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Leupold QR rings and bases on a couple of 30-06 and 375 H&H's and they worked flawlessly. Shoot the scope @ 100 yards, remove the scope and shoot the irons @ 50 yards, replace the scope and cut your original holes @ 100 yards has been my experience.

The little levers are difficult to release at times is their only detractor in my book. I usually press my thumb with my other thumb to release the tight ones.

I am in the process of trying the Leupold QRW on my pre 64 Win 70 Fwt beater gun because they do have a little longer of lever.

I wish Leupold could devise a way to put longer levers on the QR. I think it is due to the fact that the QR levers are one piece where the QRW have the levers attached to the cross bolt and can be positioned where you want them.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use QRWs on 7 or 8 rifles, including some boomers like the .458 AR with relatively heavy scopes like the Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5x38. I have had the cross bar actually bend and have to be replaced.

I cured that problem by milling my own bases that have recoil shoulders that push on the rings themselves.

While I was at it, I made the center to center distance of all of my rifles the same ... so I could swap scopes around without moving them in the rings.

Have QRs on M70s in .338 Win Mag and .375 H&H. No problems yet, but will replace them with QRWs and custom mounts eventually.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any issues with reliability or repeatability with Leupold Quick Release Rings?

Mine are in a Leupold QR base but they have been stable for some 12 years. Never tried the QRW system but looks like they would be even better.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have them on my Knight M/L and they are great!
Be sure you mount the bases with the levers tightening forward or they will loosen with recoil.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have QRW bases installed on my 70 and was shopping locally for QRW rings. I am not sure which height rings to buy and wanted to try before buying.

All they had in stock were High. Gees those Leupold QRW rings weigh a ton!!!! I know I am going with thew lowest possible now!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have them on my TC Omega.Always dead on after removing the scope for cleaning.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote