Find
Notify
Tools

Parallax and my Lost Shooting Skill
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents,
I much of an impact does parallax make really? I have VXIII's, Burris Black Diamonds, Zeiss Conquests, and one Cabela's Alaskan guide. Sort of a glass snob maybe but I want good optics to go along with good rifles.

Over the past coupld of years I have become a average shot at best. I used to shoot deer at 400-500 yards DRT. Over the last couple of years I have gone to shooting them in leg at 200 yards, 300 yards, and this year taking to 3 shots to connect with a buck at 100 yds.

I do change things often as that is part of the fun. I am in worst physical condition of my life at this point. I lost a leg to a staph infection. I am not 25 anymore. You get the picture.

What gives? I don't shoot as often but I do practice. I think it is a combo of things. My eyes were just checked and they are good... I know all of these things are isseus and the fact that I sight in rifles and shoot in Texas when it is 60-100 and hunt in Kansas when it is 0-30. May well change things a little. But I think I may have a parallax issue here too.

My theory is that since all of the things above conspire against me I am already at a disadvantage but that the way I mount the rifle and look through it have caused me to really see through the scope poorly.

How big of a deal is it really? I ultimately recovered all but 2 deer in my life and those two bug me. But I at the range I shoot clover leafs regularly. In the field I am struggling. No, it is not buck fever. I have shot more deer than I can count and have some real nice wall hangers to prove it. I think I really have some sort of problem.

The last three years I have used 3 different rifles with 3 different scopes. 2 with AO and 1 without. Same results. So I am confused and frustrated.

Chime in on the importance of AO. I am going to shorten one of the stocks to see if my now shorter arms and neck Wink could be part of the problem. I just need some advice, help, or at least reassurance. Maybe it is just confidence.

Cheers,
Jason

Posts: 98 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience parallax can be a big issue at 300 yards and beyond. Not as much of an issue for closer shots. However, you said at the range you shoot clover leafs. That eliminates a lot of possible issues.

It's a process of elimination. Look at the differences of shooting at the range and shooting in the field. On your next hunt try the rifle that you shoot clover leafs with at the range. If you don't shoot well it may be how you hold the gun. You may need a more steady rest. I am sure you have a very steady rest at the range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scope parallax won't move bullet impact from a deer's chest to its leg at 200 yards, even at its maximum potential. You'll have to look elsewhere to solve your problem.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
parallax can be a big bugaboo, but my guess is that you're not concentrating on the sight picture. concentrate on the cross hairs, just like you'd concentrate on the front sight. its a very common problem and i would guess most people have at one time or another. you concentrate on the target so hard that you loose the sight picture. officially its called chasing the bull

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
It could be a combination of things, but parallax alone it is not.

Could you be flinching? You mentioned the fit of the gun is no longer perfect, and that can lead to inconsistencies from varied shooting positions as well. It's easy to overcome that from a bench but not so simple from field position shooting.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9335 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote