New
Find
Notify
Tools

Real world popularity of 6X scopes.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was in a very large store looking at the riflescopes. They must have three hundred of them and all of them seemed to be variables. So I looked closer and found two private brands at 4X and 6X along with a Leu. FX 4. Thats about one percent.

I asked the clerk about fixed power scopes and his brain was programed to say that anything that was the topic was very good if they had it in stock.

So the market is obviously 99% variables.

Of course the forums are full of "here use what I say" and therefore the 6X42 fanatics. To each his own.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Variables are definitely the rage.

All of my scopes but one are fixed power and I have several 6x and 4x’s that I love...but I do believe I am in the minority on this topic.

The one area where I think variables are useful is being able to crank down the power to get rid of mirage on the higher magnification variables that go up to 12x and above.

The good new about the variable rage, for us guys that like fixed powers, is that it seems to keep the prices down on the fixed power scopes.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess one thing in favor of the fixed power scope users is that they are computer literate.
I think that every person in the US that's bought a fixed 6x Leupold in the last 10 years has been posting about it on the internet! Smiler Smiler............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
I guess one thing in favor of the fixed power scope users is that they are computer literate.
I think that every person in the US that's bought a fixed 6x Leupold in the last 10 years has been posting about it on the internet! Smiler Smiler............DJ

None of my mine are Leupolds, and I‘m barely literate, computer or otherwise! Smiler

Personally, I think fixed power guys know what they want. The variable guys just can’t seem to make up their minds on anything. Same kinda guys that love swiss Army knives with all the doo-dads that no one ever uses.

animal

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
I have a K4 Weaver and a Lyman 6X. The only big
variable I have is on a 22 250. Most the rest
are like 1.24 X 5 etc. I like fixed power but hard to find. Don't care fer swiss army knife
either. Big Grin

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I had a Leupy 6x on my 7x57 for muleys last fall and liked it fine for the 210 yard shot. It's back on my 22 now. Had a 3x on my 404 and screwed around and shattered the front lens only to find out Leupold couldn't fix it because they no longer make the lenses for it. I now have 1.75-6x, 2-7x, 3-9x and they do fine. I always hunt with them on the lowest power and only change it if I need to see more detail. I could hunt the rest of my days with fixed power scopes...2.5x or 3x for DG and 6x for everything else.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have 6x and 4x Leupolds on all my big game rifles and my kid's rifles as well. I only own on variable, a 2x7 Leupold on my .300. I have never been in a situation when I needed anything else. Point and shoot, no fiddling around.

Posts: 21 | Location: Canadian Rockies | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup-
I have 6x Leupolds on my 300 Wby. Mk V and 300WSM Mod 70 and a 3x on my 300 Savage 99. The rest wear 1-4, 2-7 or 3-9 Leupolds. I plan on getting a fixed 6x42 and a 4x to replace the variables. The only place I see a need for variables is on DG rifles like my 458Lott or 375.
I like the fixed powers for their simplicity/ruggedness and light weight.

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
5.6x50R - Swaro 6x42 PF
243win - Swaro 6x42 Nova
6mm rem - Swaro 6x42 PF
6.5x55 - Swaro 6x42 Nova
7x57 - Swaro 6x42 Nova
30-06 - Swaro 1.5-6x42 PV (spare scope in mounts for 9.3x62 that happens to fit without adjustment)
9.3x62 Swaro 1.5-6x42 PV - only scope used on power other than 6x and that is for driven moose.

Happy to shoot rabbits out to 200yards and deer out to 300yards. I don't wish for more and I never get caught at the wrong magnification and I allways have the same sight picture.

I'm sure if I swapped to one 3-9 or 4-12 I would want more magnification but I would not shoot any more deer period.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Last winter I spotted a buck at the edge of a field just before sunset. He was behind a lot of brush and over 150 yds away. I usually leave my scope on about 4X and but this scope was a 4.5-14. The deer came out along the fence line and stopped behind a large tree that was blocking it's chest and neck. I raised my rifle to get ready to shoot and the deer must have seen me move and it froze there for what seemed to be any enternity. I would have been tired from holding the rifle up that long but I had a bipod on it. While waiting for a clear shot I cranked the magnification up so as to be able to see and try to miss the little twigs near the deer. After the shot I happend to check and it was on 11X! I have three fixed 6X scopes and one is in the drawer, the other is on a safe queen and the third is on a .22 plinker.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have 1 variable scope, a Weatherby premier, and the only reason I have it, is because it was on the rifle when I bought it.

All of my other rifles have either K4 or K6 Weavers, or 6 power Cabela's Pine Ridge scopes.

The amazing thing, or at least in my experience, is that when you ask folks what power setting they normally take shots at game with, and it ois usually 4 or 6 with that variable.

I don't like them for several reasons, among which, are;

1. It is just another piece of equipment that can and will fail at some point.

2. People not used to useing them in actual hunting situations will invariably crank those suckers up to full power, and then try to take a shot at something that has walked out 50 yards away.

3. The average person does not hunt enough to know how to properly use the technology. They try to make up their lack of actual experience and ability, by buying technology.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
All mine are fixed powers, exept 2. Both of these are 1.5 x 4.5 x 20 DG scopes.

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I have more fixed than vari....mostly 2.5X,4X and 6X in Leupold, Weaver and Redfield. Lately (within the last 3 years), I have tried Simmonds Prohunter in 6x...nice, clear and bright scope and cheap. Have one on a .223 AI and a .22 K Hornet and so far perform wonderfully even for very low light shots. WOrth a try for the money.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One use for the 6x fixed scopes being in alot of stores is the increasing popularity of Hunter Benchrest competitions which require a 6x fixed scope (or a variable taped on 6x). Burris markets the 6HBR specifically for that sport.

Posts: 138 | Location: WI | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage99: Funny you should mention that number 300! About a year ago I was standing at the counter of a VERY popular Gunstore on the west coast. I was trying to be patient waiting my turn to be "helped".
I decided to count the scopes on their shelves.
This Gunshop had 320 some scopes there on their several shelves. I know for a fact that this shop has hundreds more in their adjacent warehouses and basement.
90% of them were variables and the vast majority of them were, Leupolds.
This particular dealer is also a distributor and sells to many other dealers. At one time this shop was the largest buyer of Leupold scopes in the world. Yeah they outsold even Cabelas and the other Wally World types. Part of the reason for their amazing scopes sales numbers is their geographical position (very close to the Canadian border - enough on that!).
Indeed for several decades I bought (at wholesale and for resale!) scopes from this source myself.
I would nearly agree with your 99% "guesstimation" of percentage of sales for variables. I think 92% - 95% is closer to todays reality.
I have used variables for range work, Varminting and Big Game Hunting for decades now. I do not presently own a Big Game Rifle set up with a fixed power scope (out of the fifteen or so I presently use)!
I have just a few Varmint Rifles with fixed power scopes (in powers of 12x, 20x, 24x and 36x) and with the reliability and dependability of todays variables I see no reason to even consider fixed power scopes for any of my future Varminting uses.
The VAST majority of my Varmint Rifles use variables - successfully I might add.
Several of my Varminting variables top out at 20, 24 and 25 power and they all maintain point of impact from year to year. They perform admirably and lack in nothing I consider important to my Varminting needs.
The ability to choose ones power and the quality of todays variable powered scopes makes the fixed power scope "second fiddle" anymore.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm not sure what this 2 cents worth will contribute, but here goes. I've tried just about all of the major brands and types of scopes (US optic being the exception) for hunting and several target shooting games. Without counting, I'm sure I have at least 50 scopes on hand. (This blurb is not meant to include varmint hunting at longer ranges nor really long range shooting of any type)

Recently, in response to being hoorawed by a friend "who never misses" we "invented" a fun game on my ranch. We set up empty (emptying them is more than half the fun, NOT while shooting, of course) beer bottles at 100 yards on a box. Using .22s we shoot them offhand.
With each increase in magnification, starting at 4X, the hitting becomes a bit easier up to about 10X. I'm sure there are many better shots around, but if you hit 3 out of 5, you deserve a gold star. It is also interesting that a slight increase in target size, to wine bottle size, increases the hit ratio by at least 30%. The friend, BTW, has so far avoided participation. LOL.

All that said, for MOST hunting situations, I think anywhere from 1x to 4X is sufficient. If you can't hit a deer sized target with an accurate sighted in gun, still conditions, and a rest at 400 yards with a 4X then you need to quit hunting. Since 99% of game is shot under 200 yards, I feel that a fixed 4x (or less) or a variable in the 1x to 7x range is the best for normal hunting use.

I also have fallen into the "6x42 Leupie is the nuts" trap. It ain't. Nothing wrong with it, but 6x is neither fish nor fowl when it comes to my hunting experience. It is a bit much for close in moving shots and not really enough for really long shots. It does work fairly well in low light. JMNSHO.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a batch of 6 power scopes...

Two Leupold, about 6 Weaver K 6s and several of the Cabelas Pine Ridge 6x...( the Cabelas was bought for a back up scope, but surprisingly have been very useful, in a number of applications).....

When carrying them, I don't find myself wanting for more power usually, and only in a few instances find myself thinking they are a hair too powerful for close applications....

I started my son off on his 10/22 with a 6 power Leupold, with a German Number 4 cross hair that I had laying around.... I finally took it off and put a variable Weaver 3 x 9 on it.... he complained at first, then learned to set it on 6 power and leave it....

So I finally took the 3 x 9 weaver off and put on a K 6 Weaver and he is back to being a happy camper....that is what he got use to, and is all he wants to shoot with....

I find them pretty versatile....

I have them mounted at the moment on several 10/22s, a 270 Winchester, a 7 Rem Mag, and a 300 Win Mag...plus one 30/06 and an 8 mm Mauser... the last two have them just because I grabbed a scope to put on them, and that was what I had hanging loose at the time....

The Mauser is a Czech military rifle that was tapped for weaver mounts... so it is sporting a $60.00 Cabelas Pine Ridge in 6x....

The entire set up is a budget oriented set up, but it is surprisingly how well it works...all I ask of it is 250 yd work.... which it does quite well... with a 170 Speer SMP with an MV of 2500 fps...35 grains of SR 4759 is the load...which this Mauser really seems to like a lot....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my $0.02 worth....I've many 6x42 scopes. I find them a really useful tool.

Variables are quite the rage here in Europe as well and yes, I use them but seldon crank them up all the way unless the shot requires and the shooting position avails itself.

I ama KISS principled person and consider as sopmeone mentioned earlier in this thread that a fixed power is just something less to go broke when you least need it to break.

While I originally purchased 6x42's for specific rifles, toady I pick all sorts of 6x42 S&B's, Zeiss & Kahles at a fraction of their worth simply because almost everyone appears to have to mount a variable on their rifle.

I figure their loss is my gain.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Talk about the KISS principle, I not only like fixed power scopes, I like many of the ones without internal adjustments. Not too much to go wrong with them, especially if they have the reticule etched onto the lens like the old B&L scopes did.

Of course, fixed power scopes are easier to use (are at their most most practical point) if one has several or more rifles set up for specific types of uses. Wouldn't want to be in the Alaskan willows with a fixed power Leupold 45-X on my .458. Think I'd prefer a Weaver K-1 or K-2.5. or even anyone's variable 1.5-4.5 then.

At the same time, how many short-range (to 300 yards) benchrest rifles have you seen in the hands of strong competitors, that have variables on them? "None" is the answer at almost all matches. And to that distance, mirage is often more help than hindrance. Once a person learns how to read it, it is kind of like a built in wind-flag.

For the one-gun man who hunts a true variety of environments, the variable can be very useful. But, how many of us are really one-gun folks if we are over 25-30 years old?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only Rifles I have that do not have variable power scopes are rifles that are specifically setup for close/fast target engagement.

1)a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 that currently wears a Bushnell 2.5x20 (Old enough to be made in Japan) I want to replace this with a ~2-5x32

2)a Remington 870 with a rifled barrel that wears an Aimpoint 2000 mounted "scout style" directly to the barrel.

3)a Remington 74 semi-auto that currently wears a 4x32 (also old enough to be made in Japan)
though I'm replacing this soon with my "spare" Aimpoint 2000 with a 3x magnification, I'm converting this from a "Deer in heavy cover" to a FeralHog rifle.
The 3X on an aimpoint is a removable appliance so the scope can be "switched" from 3X to no magnification
depending on terrain/situation with about as much difficulty
as switching choke tubes on a sporting clays shotgun.

Everything else I own has a variable.

And I am looking at putting more powerful scopes on some of my rifles, particularly my dedicated 10-22 (semi-auto's aren't legal for hunting here, so I have a BL22 for bunnies and squirrels) which has a 3-9x40 on it, I'm looking at a 4-12x40 scope for it, probably one of the new Sweet22's, because the primary use for that little rifle is plinking
standing shot shells at 50yds.

Ever try to spot a green 12ga shotshell in the grass
at 50-60yards? it's TOUGH with a 9X scope...
But trying to nail a squirrel that's stealing birdseed
at 15yds with a 9X scope isn't any easier.

Beer bottles? I can plink shotshells 3-of-5 times at 100yards.

To the original question a 6x fixed power scope?
I see no earthly use for them.
too strong for close shots, not strong enough for the longer shots....

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allan D:

I've got any amount of money you want to bet that you can't "plink" 3 out of 5 shotshells at 100 yards with a .22 from the STANDING position which is the game I'm referring to. Come on down and bring money.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Allan D:

I've got any amount of money you want to bet that you can't "plink" 3 out of 5 shotshells at 100 yards with a .22 from the STANDING position which is the game I'm referring to. Come on down and bring money.

Even from a bench that could be tough. I ran the outdoor rimfire matches for over two years at the local gun club. The course of fire was 10 shots at each of 25, 50, & 75 yards. Targets were 1/2" dots at 25 & 50 yards, 3/4" dots at 75 yards. Any rimfire rifle and any sights allowed, there were no "classes" (meaning rifles were unrestricted as to total weight, shape, trigger pull weight, etc.). Any shooting position was also allowed, so everyone shot from the bench, usually with the fancy benchrest type fore and rear rests. Maximum of 1 wind flag per competitor, and 3 sighting shots per distance. Shooters had 10 minutes for their 10 "record" shots and 3 "sighters" at each distance. No "alibi re-shoots" were allowed at any distance for any reason.

Sounds easy, doesn't it? Well, there were several "distinguished" marksmen in the group of regulars shooting the matches, a couple of "high masters", several benchrest national champs.

In those 2+ years, there were a number of scores of 29, but THERE WAS NEVER A PERFECT SCORE OF 30 HITS.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote