Find
Notify
Tools

Help decision on mounts/rings
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Got a few new high end scopes yesterday and wanting to order my mounts/rings. Should I stick with the Leupold Windage mount/rings or should I swap to the Warne Maxima or Talleys?

If I stay with the Leupold mounts I am not sure if the High rings will clear with 30mm tube / 50mm objective...I will measure tonight. I have used the Warne Maxima on a muzzleloader but I have no experience with the Talleys

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
They're not really "high end," but I like and typically use Burris steel Weaver style bases and Signature series Zee rings. I like those inserts.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Warne rings are all I use. They never, ever leave any mark on a scope and are utterly reliable.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9406 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have about 25 rifles with the leupold windage adjustable mounts. They range from 30-06 to 17 fireball.
I have never had any problems with them. I have had a set or two of the Talley’s. Great ring/bases but not worth the roughly double cost of the leupolds, in my view.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2648 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I would favour Leupold STD mounts but if any of the others have windage adjustment they might be OK.

For optical integrity at least, it is desirable you have the reticle more-or-less in the middle of its adjustment range. If the barrel/action alignment are out and your scope needs to zeroed near the end of the clicks, you may run into trouble from two three different angles.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote