New
Find
Notify
Tools

got an idea for a new scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
looking at all the chit they put in a scope today gives me an idea.
2" tube with a 4" objective
mount 6" over the bore
have no less that 75 little circles with lines going both ways through them scattered all over the view
hook to a 12 volt car battery to illuminate the reticule, target and north half of the county
ex golf caddies to carry it around
Probably another million dollar idea Big Grin Eeker hilbily

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's such a good idea it has probably already been done.

A few years ago a group of us were chatting with a friend recently returned from an African hunt. He said they came across an exceptional trophy of a plains game animal (can't recall what), which he hadn't initially planned to hunt.

The PH insisted it was a once-in-a-lifetime trophy and he just had to take it. My friend said he got on his sat phone, called his wife back in the U.S. and told her to check if there were sufficient funds in their checking account to cover the trophy fee. Once he was sure he could afford it they started the stalk.

We decided a scope was needed which would evaluate the trophy size of the animal as you aimed at it, laser the range, measure wind, shift the crosshairs to compensate, then provide a readout of the trophy fee in the field of view.

If you wanted the animal you'd swipe your credit card in a slot attached to the scope and rifle. Only after the trophy fee had been approved would the firing mechanism unlock and permit the shot to be taken.

Darn good idea, we thought. Then some wiseguy suggested, why not save airfare and just ship the rifle to Africa? Have the scope connected to the internet so you could sit at home and see it all on your computer.

Some guys always take a good idea too far.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Being from the "old school" in both hunting and baseball, I tend to confuse aluminum baseball bats with scopes like you describe. They are approximately the same length, size, and weight; and both are a poor substitute for the real thing.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to add a built in range finder and wind gauge, and barometer, and bluetooth so it can be networked with your Ipad.

And maybe a H25 reticle?

http://www.horusvision.com/img/h25.swf

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
You need to add a built in range finder and wind gauge, and barometer, and bluetooth so it can be networked with your Ipad.

And maybe this reticle?

And a periscope so you can keep your cheek on the stock, and video out to a sat phone so you can show your friends what you're shooting.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
butchloc,

too bulky, just put the valium-ion battery in the butt stock.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Stephen Hunter's latest novel is basically about a sniper who has that kind of scope on his rifle.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems like I jst saw a scope like that on tv...

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You forgot the built-in video camera, scent cover dispersor, etc.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote