New
Find
Notify
Tools

Binoular Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm going hunt bear in Alaska and i'm starting to put together all the hunting gear I'll need.

I'm looking for a good pair of binoculars, I've got a Burris Landmark 8x42 and like the roof prism, size, etc. but I think I might like a step up in optics. I'm looking at Nikon Monarch and Leupold Cascade. Is one of these superior? Other recommendations in this price range?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Grizzly

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
You need to make the final decision with your own eyes. Some other possibilities to look through:
Audubon Equinox HP 8x42mm $280
Bushnell Legend 8x42mm $230
Celestron Noble 8x42mm $277
Minox BV 8x42 BR $289
Olympus Magellan EXWP I 8x42mm $164, the overachiever of the group

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally would take the Nikon Monarchs over the Cascades. I think that the Nikon Monarchs and the Bushnell Legends are top of the best buys right now.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Another idea: You can get a better view in like priced porros over that of roofs. The Swift Audubon 820 8.5x44mm porro ($280 @ DigitalFotoClub) has been referred to as the "poor man's Swarvoski EL." http://www.betterviewdesired.com/Swift-8-5x44-Audubon.php The Swarovski EL 8.5x42mm roofs cost $1900.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote