Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please advise
 Login/Join

posted
Does Nikon have the same type warranty as Leupold or Burris? I'm down to these 3 and I want to be sure I am comparing apples to apples.

What would be your choice? All 3x9x40

1. Nikon Buckmaster

2. Burrisfulfield II

3. Leupold VXI
Thanks TVC15

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of those I would go for the Leupold VX 1 but I have not seen the other scopes so I am biased.

I would however save some extra $$ and get a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 or Leupold 2.5-8 VX111

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
get a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40

+1
For only $399, this is the best scope value around. You will not be disappointed; ratherm you will be amazed. Absolutely lays the ones you've mentioned in the dust. Mine is on a .375H&H and still works great, so it must be reasonably tough too.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+2

I have the 3-9x40 MC Conquest on a .308 Win, .338 Win Mag, and two on .375 H&Hs. Great general purpose scope thru the .375 for a very reasonable price.

I also like the 1.8-5.5 Conquest. Have those on 22" barreled .338-06, 9,3x62, and .416 Aagaards built on Mauser actions. A little heavy for the power range but sharp, clear and robust scopes.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jghoghunter
posted Hide Post
Nikons customer service in one word is suc$$. I've had good luck with the others.

Posts: 30 | Location: exact center of pa | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Of the three you mentioned I've used Nikon and Leupold customer service. Leupold is the king of customer service in my eyes, Nikon was terrible, didn't even address the problem I had just gave me a PR and polish (clean and check). I have Leupold VX-1's, II's and III's and am happy with all of them and if you ever break one they are in Portland OR and turn around time is about 7-10 days tops, I don't think ziess can do that!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Of the three you have listed my ranking would be:

Nikon
Leupie
Burris

These scopes are all great for their price range. I haven't had a minutes trouble from any of them and doubt you will either.

The Burris does tout better light transmission than the others, but you will have a hard time telling the difference in LT between the Burris FFII and Nikon BMs. I feel when all specs are considered and after personally using them, the Nikon IMO offers the best package and best bang for your buck.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the Nikon IMO offers the best package and best bang for your buck.

And I agree with this. I was a little distracted pimping my favorite Zeiss Conquests, but I have a Nikon Prostaff, Buckmaster, and Monarch, and they are excellent scopes especially for the money. So of the ones listed, I would want the Nikon.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does Nikon have the same type warranty as Leupold or Burris? I'm down to these 3 and I want to be sure I am comparing apples to apples.

I'm afraid the premise of your question is flawed in that Leupold and Burris customer service is not comparable, with Leupold being significantly superior. Apparently those who have used Nikon's customer service are consistently disappointed.

As to the scopes themselves, the Burris is a rather cheaply made import from China. The Nikon is Asian, and, like their camera products, has pretty good optics.

The Leupold is American-made (although components may be purchased from vendors world-wide). Leupold understands what is important in an optical gun sight, as opposed to simply a telescope. The Leupold VX-I is essentially the same scope sold for decades as the Vari-X II, and its mechanics and optics are time- and hunter-tested. This is the scope that set the standard for all others, and while there may be scopes now on the market that are better in some features (and MUCH higher in price), nothing compares to this scope in terms of price/value at around $200.

Get the Leupold and don't even think about the others.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote