New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swarovski AV scopes assembled in USA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After hearing a rumor that the Swarovski AV and several other Swarovski scopes,including the new Z6 scopes were not actually made in Austria,I e-mailed Swarovski to deny or confirm the rumor.Below is their reply.

quote:

Hello!

We've been proud to assemble the AV riflescope for probably 10-15 years. All of our technicians are either trained in Austria or by an Austrian. The parts are brought in from Austria. We are also assembling nearly all of our other riflescopes, including the premium Z6. We have the highest of quality control standards in the United States, just as they do in Austria. The two manager's in charge of this department have been with the company for almost 20 years. I'm not sure from your e-mail if this concerns you, but you can be rest assured that our USA production facility has been beneficial in all ways for the US consumer. If you have any questions, please get in touch with me directly at ellen.santagataswarovskioptik.us or (800) 426-3089, ext. 2276.

Thank you for your question!

Ellen Santagata
Customer Service/Sales Administration Manager
Swarovski Optik North America Ltd.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2008 8:05 PM
To: SONA-INFO

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
That's it.

I'm only buying S&B from now on....

stir

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My problem is not with them being assembled in the USA,it it with the scopes having "made in Austria" on them.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stubble,

Thanks for the posting.
I wasn't aware of what she writes...
I have two AV's and a PF 6x42, plus a pair of 7x42 SLC Binox. Wonder where the PF and Binox are assembled? Guess I can call them and inquire.
Good info.

Don

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
OK, if that's the case, why do the prices fluctuate with the Euro? It doesn't really change how I feel about the scopes (good), and I'm actually glad a foreign company is giving business TO the US.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, if that's the case, why do the prices fluctuate with the Euro?

The persons name,personal e-mail and phone number are posted.Why don't you ask her?

quote:
It doesn't really change how I feel about the scopes (good), and I'm actually glad a foreign company is giving business TO the US.

So false advertising doesn't bother you at all?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
OK, if that's the case, why do the prices fluctuate with the Euro?

The components are made in Europe.

Don

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Claret_Dabbler:
That's it.

I'm only buying S&B from now on....

stir

They (S&B) are build in Hungary... Cool

Go and buy European Swarovskis and You get the highest quality you can buy...

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ingvar J. Kristjansson
posted Hide Post
The S&B Zenith, PM II and Precision Hunter models are all made in Germany. According to my knowledge only the Classic model is made in Hungary Wink

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I guess the ultimate question you have to ask yourself about a scope assembled in the USA from european parts is: "Does it work (the way I want it too)".

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ingvar J. Kristjansson:
The S&B Zenith, PM II and Precision Hunter models are all made in Germany. According to my knowledge only the Classic model is made in Hungary Wink

My comment was in jest.

However, to my knowledge, only certain fixed power S&B's are made in Hungary and they are so marked.

Klassic and all other variables are made in Germany I believe.

If there is a difference in quality between S&B and Swarovski, I can't see it. There may be certain differences in style. I have both, and I am delighted with both.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess the ultimate question you have to ask yourself about a scope assembled in the USA from european parts is: "Does it work (the way I want it too)".

The ultimate question as I see it,is,do I want to support a company that makes it a practice to mislead customers about their products?

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ingvar J. Kristjansson:

S&B has much other problems as well...

The most important thing is at least, that they don´t have that crisp clear and brilliant image a "European Swarovski" will give You...

side light problems, long service times and problems with dust inside the scope are just some of the S&B problem as well...

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prices fluctuate with the Euro because all of the components come from Europe. They are assembled here because it allows for lower import duties than for a finished product.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just received another e-mail from Swarovski.Apparently the Swarovski scopes sold in Canada,are "Made in Austria".

quote:

I didn’t notice until late yesterday that your e-mail address ends in CA, indicating that you live in Canada. (Canadian e-mails do not usually make it to my desk.) If you have purchased your Swarovski Optik products from an authorized Canadian retailer, they would have come from our Markham, Ontario distributor who is supplied directly by our factory in Austria.

My apologies for not having picked up on this sooner.

Ellen Santagata

Customer Service/Sales Administration Manager

Swarovski Optik North America LTD

2 Slater Road

Cranston, RI 02920

Tel. 800-426-3089 x 2276

local 401-734-1800 x 2276

Fax. 877-287-8517

local 401-734-5888

Ellen.Santagataswarovskioptik.us

http://www.swarovskioptik.com <http://www.swarovskioptik.com> , http://www.swarovskibirding.com

I guess that is something for Canadians to think about before ordering a Swarovski scope from the USA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stubblejumper:
quote:

The ultimate question as I see it,is,do I want to support a company that makes it a practice to mislead customers about their products?

Yes I do, they make a great product I use the AV over the PH because they have better eye relief plus a big huge 30 MM scope is pretty ugly to me. I remember seeing ads that the AV was assembled in America and if you call them they will freely tell you they are assebled in America with Austrian parts. My understanding is they come almost fully assembled, They did this to get around the import taxes. Not misleading at all if you just pick up the phone and call and ask. Besides is everything is made in austria, they are correct to say Made in Austria. You can get a lable maker and put Assembled in America if that makes you feel better.

Maybe you should buy one of thoose quality Made in Canada Scopes!

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not misleading at all if you just pick up the phone and call and ask.

I thought the whole point of labeling goods was so that you don't have to make phone calls to find out where they are made. Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stubblejumper:
quote:
Not misleading at all if you just pick up the phone and call and ask.

I thought the whole point of labeling goods was so that you don't have to make phone calls to find out where they are made. Roll Eyes

Again it is made in Austria, Sorry do not see the problem

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
...so I guess they must work ok .....

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Again it is made in Austria, Sorry do not see the problem

No problem in Canada,but the Swarovski AV scopes that I looked at in the Post Falls Cabela's store wore the same "Made in Austria" label,and according to Swarovski, they were assembled in the USA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...so I guess they must work ok ..

So I guess that in Australia,false advertising means nothing.Is that because of how Australia was settled by the British? homer

one of us
posted Hide Post
homer Now I see why he is haveing a problem understanding the differance between made and assembled, Stubblejumper is really Homer Simpson!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tradewinds:
homer Now I see why he is haveing a problem understanding the differance between made and assembled, Stubblejumper is really Homer Simpson!

rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now I see why he is haveing a problem understanding the differance between made and assembled,

Perhaps you should look up the definitions of "make".

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/make

From that link

quote:
5: to put together from components :

http://www.yourdictionary.com/make

From that link.

quote:
to form by shaping or putting parts or ingredients together,

http://www.wordsmyth.net/live/home.php?script=search&ma...make&matchtype=exact

From that link,

quote:
to bring into being by constructing from separate parts.
Example She made a model airplane.
Synonyms construct , prepare (2) , assemble (2) , form (1) , fabricate (1,2) , build (1)

one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to get laid, or find a hobby

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 26 July 2008 20:16 Hide Post
You need to get laid, or find a hobby

It that the best that you can do after being proven wrong? Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's debatable where they are made since they are partially made in Austria and partially made in the United States.

But the main reason for the "made it Austria" sticker is that some consumers actually believe it is higher quality than if it said "made in USA". That is not my opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually quality control in many high tech manufacturing processes is quite good in the USA and with the $ vs Euro exchange rate what it is, you may see more and more products built here by European manufacturers to include VW, BMW, and now Swarovski. I do believe that certain Zeiss (or it may have been Leica) products have been assembled by Leupold for a number of years.

Much of the glass in optics, even that "made in Europe" is glass made in Europe, ground in Asia, and finished in Europe. Want to talk about a world economy! I am glad that US workers are getting the work and that their quality is being recognized. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote