New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold vx III scope.
 Login/Join

posted
Hi everyone.
I am new to leupold scopes as i live in the uk and tend to go towards european scopes but i decided to order a vxIII 3.5x10x50 with boone and crocket ret. Wonderd what veiws other people may have on this scope. And would like to know what the boone and crocket ret is like as i already have a swarovski with the tds-4 ret.

Cheers paulhed.

Posts: 22 | Location: Northeast England | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The VariXIII is a good piece of Optics.I am not familier with The B & C reticle,but assume its simular to a Ballistic Plex??????? I guess that stuff works,but I am not to keen on a bunch of lines and dots in my view.If your rifle is sighted in for 2 1/2-3in high at 100yds you should be good to go to about 350yds holding dead on.Thats a pretty good poke for most hunters!!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Leupold VX III 3.5-10x50 is an outstanding scope. I have used the Boone & Crocket reticle and like it quite well. Several of my shooting pals have switched to the B&C reticle for all their "longer" range rifles. Good stuff.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
paulhead.
I have used the same scope ( but with a heavy duplex) on my 35 Whelen for the last 8 yars, hunting moose and red deer.
It is an exellent scope in its price range.
The 3,5 works ok in the woods, and one can crank up to 10 on the open ranges if needed.
Ok light transmission in dusk and dawn, and handles lousy weather like and old seadog.
You cant go wrong with this one!

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
I don't have that particular scope, but have owned a variable powered Leupold scope(3x9) for over twenty years on a 30-06 rifle I have. From well below freezing mountain temperatures to well over a hundred in the deserts here, rain and snow, it has never let me down ever; and I use it every year. Always crystal clear, and spot on for me, so I don't mind giving them a positive plug here.
I hate to admit it, but I have unfortunately even dropped the thing a couple of times in those years, and no adjustments or anything needed at all (just some scratches on it). I'm sure there are better scopes than mine out there today, so I doubt you made a mistake in the price range buying it.
Good luck, have fun.

"Hunt smart, know your target and beyond"

Posts: 394 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
paulhed,

I have a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10X42 I got last year for an antelope hunt. The B&C reticle works well; you set the magnification to one of two marks depending on the trajectory class of the cartridge (regular and fast), and then use the marks at further yardage after you zero at 200.

I shot my buck at 90 yards, so it wasn't a test -- maybe this year.

I think you will be happy with your scope.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Paulhed,

I've got the 3.5-10x40 with the B&C reticle on a 338-378 Weatherby... Real nice scope to say the least... I haven't had an opportunity to get on the long range to check the accuracy of the reticle but I did a quick test with a 100 yd zero out to 200... I just worked with the magnification range until it hit point of aim on the 200 yd target with the first cross... Worked very well... I would have to do the same on the long range with a 200 yd zero as the instructions specify but with the flat tragectry of the 338-378 I have to find at what magnification it has "corrected" zero at the various cross hairs...

Very good scope... Generally I'll just zero at 2 inches high at 100 and am good out to 300 without holdover....

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 4.5-14x40 LR with B&C reticle quite a bit; the things that it does to quarter-mile coyotes with a 22/250 will bring a grin to your face.Though I have another on my STW I haven't needed to use it in the couple years that I have run it.Haven't needed to, the STW reachs quite well on it's own.
The 3.5-10 x 40 is one of my favorite scopes, and all Leupolds I buy in the future will have B&Cs or Varmintors depending on power. We don't shoot at night, so the 40mm objective is all I need.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice scope. dont see much for the 50mm but whatever floats your boat.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey paulhed

My prediction is that you will not be as pleased with the Leupold as you have been with the European scopes, especially compared with the Swarovski you mentioned.

Not too long ago a friend and I were at the range and he was shooting a new 7 mag that he had put a Leupold VXIII 3.5x10x50 on and I was shooting a 300 win mag with a 3x9x50 Zeiss Conquest. He would shoot and get up and go to the range spotting scope to spot the shots. I started calling them for him. After about the 3rd time he asked me how the hell I could see the bullet holes. I just picked my 300 win mag up and put it on his sandbags. He looked through it and was amazed. Commented on how you could see the ragged paper around the bullet holes. Commented that he wished he could afford a Zeiss scope. I told him it cost $419.00 and then his jaw dropped! shocker

He now has a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x50 scope on his rifle. I took his Leupold and adjusted the ocular to clear up the reticle and see if I could clear the picture. Couldn't. It might have been different if the Leupold had a parallax adjustment and maybe a clear sight picture could have been focused. I have looked through many Leupolds and now I don't wonder why shooters need the range provided spotting scope.

They obviously are tough scopes and have an excellent warranty service but the glass does not stack up.

JMHO stir

Flame away!

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Ineresting observation Woods... I use my Leupy all the time at the range to spot my hits on the target, no problem.... The glass in the VX IIIs isn't quite as good as the LPS (I haven't looked at the VX7s) but quite good enough to see my hits on tagets out to 200 yds... I've looked through a friends Zeiss at the range and found it to be quite clear as well... Not really stirring anything here but simply noticed very little difference between any of the mid dollar scopes... The higher end scopes I've noticed some difference but not enough that my old eyes would care and certainly not enough to double or triple the price...

Ken...

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find it a bit unfair to compair a VXIII to a Swarowski.
They are two different leagues optically.

The Conquest might also have a bit better optics than the VXIII, but then again, when the Conquest have been around as long as the VXIII, we can have a talk.

In my book the VXIII scores in durability, eye relief, and weight.
For me and the kind of big game hunting i do, they are No1 on my list.

On my roe and red deer rifle which is used mostly at stand/hight seats in dusk and dawn, there sits a S&B 8x56.

Different hunting, different terrain, different scopes.
There are not one "the best" scope the way I see it.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello all

Recieved my new leupold scope on friday gone got it mounted on rifle at weekend and must say i cannot be more pleased with it. As i have r ead in the other posts it is not a good as my swarovski but i paid less than half the price of the swaro but even still they are not millions of miles apart. when i actualy bought the rifle it had a hawke endurance scope(pile of crap) but it was on optilok bases and rings. The hawke scope will come in handy as a paper weight because that is all it is good for if not for target practice. cheers paulhed.

Posts: 22 | Location: Northeast England | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote