Find
Notify
Tools

Returns.. refurbs...etc...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
I notice about a year+ ago a few of the major dealers stopped taking returns on some scopes and some stopped carrying certain scopes (Nikon).

I can understand about taking returns from Tasco because they were going out of business or being take over.

Also noticed that there seems to be a lot more refurbs from Nikon than other scopes.

Can anyone shed light on this. Is it just the manuf policies?

Rich

Posts: 6491 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Refurbs and returns --

Not from experience with scopes specifically, but from other products. Kitchen Aid would be one, Hunter Fans, Black & Decker, Palm Pilot.

These mfgs often "update" a product and so take the previous model off the shelves. The mfg then takes the "old" product and calls it "returned" or "refurb."

Often the product has never been out of the box. Factory refurbished stuff in my experience is new or so nearly new that you can't tell.

In any case, they're all fully warranted, which is what really matters if the product has the features and the price you're looking for.

Computers are often sold this way. I've learned not to by a "new" computer. The computer that is six months old sells for about 1/3 the cost of new -- and the new one will be obsolete by the time you get it home. Although this trend is slowing down, and current "boxes" allow for easy hardware upgrades.

But we're talking optics here. Factory warranty, features, price. Leupold "updated" the VX line from VXI to VXII, and now VXIII.

I have a II and a III. The III has nice new features like finger adj. knobs with a "zero" option, but there's nothing wrong with the VXII.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Another reason there are "refurbs" out there is the fact that stores like Wal-Mart accept items for return just because the customer says something is wrong with it. I know of a fellow who bought a scope, hunted with it for over a week and then took it back, claiming something was wrong with it when in reality if was just fine. He was a cheapskate and just wanted his $$ back. Since Wal-Mart has no way of checking such items, they get sent back to the manufacturer as "defective." Also, some stores will elect to not carry certain items and send them back their remaining inventory as well.

Nikon, for instance, WILL NOT sell a scope as new if it has been returned -- and it doesn't matter if the box has never even been opened. It will get checked out, repaired if needed and then sold as a "refurb."

I own several scopes that are "refurbs" and have never had any problems. Two of them were obviously brand new as they had no evidence of prior use or of even being handled.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Regarding refurbs: Nikon normally does not extend their lifetime warranty to binocs or scopes they sell as refurbs.
I noticed this when Natchez offered some super deals on Nikon ATB binos....confirmed with Nikon it was "90 days only".

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Mulerider-I have heard & read that also regarding the 90 day warranty. My refurbs are a pair of 4-12x40 Monarch scopes and a 3-9x40 Monarch.

It's been a few years ago, but I did have to send one of the 4-12s in when it took a rifle took a fall during a photo shoot. I had it perhaps a year at that point, and it was taken care of for no charge.

Maybe it just depends on who's working when you send it in...or maybe the policy has changed since then.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every company has their own policies when it comes to "Refurbs"
Leica calls theirs "Certified Pre-Owned. These come with a 10 year parts and labor warranty.
Nikon calls theirs refurbs and they come this a 90 day warranty, however, they will still cover them under the 25 year no fault protection plan which is $10.00 for paperwork and $10.00 for return shipping.
Swarovski calls theirs Class II and they supply a 2 year warranty.
Pentax also calls theirs Class II and retain their Lifetime Bullet Proof Warranty.
Zeiss is called Certified Refurbished and still gives their Lifetime Transferable Warranty

For the most part these are a combination of Show Samples, Dealers Stock Balance units that they do not put back in stock as they have been out of their control, Salesmans Samples, Demo Units, Refurbished Goods, Internal Loaner Units, and every now and again new units that they are over stocked on and want to move at a reduced price.
All have been checked to be optically and functionally perfect. We have first hand knowledge as we handle a vast amount of these goods and have been for years. It is a great way to get a high quality optic at a reduced price. To see a list of such items please check out https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2711043/m/697103755

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3702 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote