New
Find
Notify
Tools

? leica rangefinder binoculars ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone compared the new 10 X Leica"HD" rangefinder binoculars to the older model Leica's ??
Is there any noticeable difference between the two?

I was going to surprize myself with a set for Christmas and was wonder if I should look for a good use set of the older style or spring for a new set of the HD model.

Hal

Posts: 160 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
It is a difference, but that is not that much I would pay lots of more money...

But in Your case I would take a look through the new Swarovski EL Swarovision first - not to regret any buy after doing so... Because the optics of this one is that georgeous and great, no other company could match at the moment - so I take a rangefinder extra and using the Swarovski EL 8,5x42 Swarovision instead...

http://www.titanium-gunworks.c...x42-swarovision.html

Just my thoughts, but You ain´t wrong with the Geovid if You want two in one...!

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Klaus

Thanks for the reply. But I pefer a 10X. I already have a set of 10 X 42 Leica binoculars.
I don't have a rangefinder.
I wanted a set of rangefinder binoculars, one less piece of equipment to pack, and faster than spotting the game with you binonoculars, putting them down , ranging with the rangefinder, puting it down, finally shooting it.
Hal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hal, check out the Zeiss binos w/ rangefinder. Very very nice, but also quite expensive. However, to me they are better than the Leicas.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
I have looked through the HD's and the standards side by side outside at 10yds-750yds or so. I looked through the 8's 10's and 15's My buddy didnt have a set of 15's in HD just standard but 8's and 10s he had both, and There is no difference that I could tell, maybe in lab settings you could tell but outsided scanning tree lines, open areas I couldnt tell, I almost bet if you did a blind test and told someone the were looking through the HD's and they were just standards they wouldnt be able to tell. Does this mean Iam not going to buy some HDs, no Iam going to keep the 8x, 10x in standard and get a set of 15x in HD because if you have ever looked through the 15x they really zoom in close, so maybe the HD will be more noticable in the High power model, but to have all 3 in HD i dont think its needed especialy at the extra cost. go with 8x standard for light weight close up, and in brush/timber, then HD 15's for long range, or high alltitude above timberline, where there is usually no mirrage, where you need the clarity and power, to scan shadow lines, HD might pay off.

Posts: 155 | Location: Byers Co | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodrow, I was just talking to a salesman at the local sporting goods store. He said the same thing.
He said that you could range a moving animal.

What did you like better about the Zeiss over the Leitz.

Mike:
It's nice to know about your test.
I ask one of the salesman at Cabela's and by the way he sounded there was a great difference.
I know it was the salesman talking.
After all,when you have a great glass about the only way you can make it much better is, one lighter weight or two, make it cost less.

Hal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice thing about the Zeiss and Leica; They both have hydrophobic lens coatings which will bead water and reduce external fogging. A BIG plus for cold & wet weather hunting. I am sure Swar will catch on soon????
The Zeiss have a 45MM Objective where the Leica's are 42MM. so they may be a bit brighter. IMO, The Leica's are the most robust of all the premium binocs. The Leica focus wheel appear the smoothest and I understand they are ceramic discs that are probably more consistant in climate changes (hard vs east to turn). I have owned all the brands and I just believe Leica offers the most complete package.
It is your hard earned dollars, so pick what you want; I bet you will be happy with any of them.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
leica 15x are 56mm objective
15x56mm
there massive but I had no weight issue this year at 13,000ft, plus a 13lb rifle, bear hunting. it was heavy but if you need it you need it.

Posts: 155 | Location: Byers Co | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ergonomics to me are important and the Zeiss seemed to fit my hands/fingers better. From an optics quality point...both Leica and Zeiss are at the top. I too agree that the differences between the standard and HD optics, when talking about a brand already at the top, will be difficult at best to see. The human eye itself can only transmit so much "information". I believe, with the top brands we were already at the point of diminishing returns before the HD optics. If I could afford them, the Zeiss would get the nod.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Hal, the Swaro also comes in 10x42 - but of course if You want a combinated optics, You definetly should go with the Leica!

The optical quality of the Zeiss is not that good as the Leica: The rim area is already unsharp and the brilliance of the image is less brilliant!! And the RF is not that simple to use as the Leica.

Go for the Leica - if You find a very good price for the old one - yep, if there is not a big difference, take the new HD modell!

(or wait till IWA in March - maybe Swarovski brings a RF bino as well?!)

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
I went to look at RF Binos. I took my Swaro 10X EL's along. I looked at Leica HD and Zeiss RF binos in 10x. When all was said and done I came home with the Zeiss. Quicker in ranging and to my eyes gave up nothing opticaly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hairbol,

There were no wrong choices here. I think you will be very happy with your decision. Give all of us a report after some time in the field. Looking forward to hearing about the performance.

EZ
quote:
Originally posted by hairbol:
I went to look at RF Binos. I took my Swaro 10X EL's along. I looked at Leica HD and Zeiss RF binos in 10x. When all was said and done I came home with the Zeiss. Quicker in ranging and to my eyes gave up nothing opticaly.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hal,
I have a set of older Swaros in 10 x 42 and took those with a Leica rangefinder on all my hunts for many years. Doug at Cameraland had a yearend sale on the older (non HD) Leica Geovids last year and I decided to combine two optics into one. Having used them for a year or so I have to say the quality of the glass is great, sharp and excellent rendition. One thing I did notice though when using them as a rangefinder, especially at longer ranges, at the 10 x magnification it can be sometimes hard to hold them steady enough to get a range reading. Most rangefinders have a lower magnification optic that makes that easier. I just learned to steady them on my shooting stick or against a tree to get a range. Overall excellent quality glass, as the other posters have said you won’t go wrong.
Good luck,

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Absolutely LOVE my 4 y.o. 10x42 Geovids!!! I'm convinced it is only personal preferences and ergonomics that differentiate the top three makers...kinda Ford, Chevy, Dodge ish. For me, it's Leica but for others it's Swaro or Zeiss. To each his own... IMO you can't go wrong with one of those three and no doubt it's money well spent!

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote