New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unusual Leupold?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend brought by a 3x9-42mm (maybe 44mm) Vari-X II, with an adjustable objective.
There is not a model number to be found on the Leupy, just a serial number on one turret.
And I assume it's a Vari-X II, due to the adjustments being friction, not clicks.
What does he have?

Greg

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd say he has a Leupold 3-9X Vari-X II with adjustable objective. They're not that rare. I don't think they were made with the older 42mm lens, only the more recent 40mm lens. The outside diameter, is, of course, somewhat larger due to the AO feature.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold makes a Vari-X II with an adjustable objective. It's nomenclature is 3-9 EFR, Extended Focus Range, meaning it will focus down to about 25 yards. It is designed for Air Rifle and 22 Rinfire rifles because the ranges shot are close. It can be used on any rifle however, but the depth of view is smaller with the AO.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
Leupold makes a Vari-X II with an adjustable objective. It's nomenclature is 3-9 EFR, Extended Focus Range, meaning it will focus down to about 25 yards. Don

Don, I don't think that's what he has. The 3-9 EFR was made on the Compact (33mm) frame, while the other EFR in their old Vari-X line-up was a 6.5-20 Vari-X III. I think what he has is simply the Vari-X II 3-9x40 with AO.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like an older VariX (not I or II).

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It could be one of those sweet China knock offs.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback; this scope is a gloss version, some wear but decent condition, and we looked it over carefully for a model number...no VariX anything, which may mean pre-VariX-II?
Patent numbers were on the eyepiece ring. I suggested to the owner he contact Leupold, just out of curiosity.

Added: the i.d. of the objective housing was approx 43mm, but I do not know how Leupy does their measuring/advertising.

Stonecreek: Of the zillions of 3x9 Leupys, I have just never seen or heard of ones with AO (other than the rimfire versions mentioned). And the lack of any model # prompted posting the question for all the optic gurus!

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mulerider:
Thanks for the feedback; this scope is a gloss version, some wear but decent condition, and we looked it over carefully for a model number...no VariX anything, which may mean pre-VariX-II?
Patent numbers were on the eyepiece ring. I suggested to the owner he contact Leupold, just out of curiosity.

Added: the i.d. of the objective housing was approx 43mm, but I do not know how Leupy does their measuring/advertising.

Stonecreek: Of the zillions of 3x9 Leupys, I have just never seen or heard of ones with AO (other than the rimfire versions mentioned). And the lack of any model # prompted posting the question for all the optic gurus!

I pulled out a 1973 Shooters Bible to check as a reference. It lists a Vari-X II 3-9 with AO. The regular 3-9 lists for $104.50 and the AO lists for $115.50. The illustration shows the old Leupold logo of block letters with the ones on the end being shortest and the "P" in the middle being the tallest. The 1972 Shooters Bible does NOT list the AO version, so I have to assume that the AO first became available in this model about 1973. They're not all that uncommon.

Incidentally, the 1963 Shooter's Bible lists the Vari-X (no II) and shows an illustration with an arrow from right to left through the "Vari-X" logo. I do not have a 1964 Shooter's Bible, but the 1965 edition calls the scope the "Vari-X II". However, there is no explanation for the name change in the product description.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
Leupold makes a Vari-X II with an adjustable objective. It's nomenclature is 3-9 EFR, Extended Focus Range, meaning it will focus down to about 25 yards. Don

Don, I don't think that's what he has. The 3-9 EFR was made on the Compact (33mm) frame, while the other EFR in their old Vari-X line-up was a 6.5-20 Vari-X III. I think what he has is simply the Vari-X II 3-9x40 with AO.

Good info. I wasn't aware of the fact that Leupold made a regular 3-9 with the adjustable objective.

Thanks,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one that I recently sold. Bought it in 1982 I believe from Burhnam Bros. in Marble Falls, TX. Paid $78. It is a VariX-II. Was mad at the time because I wanted a Weaver, but it was out of stock. Think I made a good decision in retrospect. Over the years the gloss finish turned purple. Sent it in and received a new scope in return. Money problems led to selling it earlier this year. Good scope that will serve you well.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Over the years the gloss finish turned purple.

The purple is due the black anodizing not being sealed with a UV resistant sealer.

As far as the AO feature goes when the 3X9 Leupolds were first big in the market most of them were AO. It was normal for any scope over 6X to have the AO feature. The fixed 7.5X Leupold was AO.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote