Find
Notify
Tools

Proper Size Scope For My Montana 30 06
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SamC
posted
I have a Kimber Montana in 30 06, I love the lite weight and looks of this rifle and am shoping for a light weight scope. Is a Kahles 2X7X36 or a Leupold 2.5X8X36 too short in length for a 30 06 length action, I hate extensions? Do you think I should move up to a 3X9X42 to keep the look and balance without adding to much more weight or will one of the smaller scopes fit properly?

Thanks
Sam

Posts: 26 | Location: Upstate New York | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SamC,

I have the kimber montana in 260 remington. I mounted a new leupold 2.5 x 8 vari-X3. To me it is the perfect size scope and does not overpower the rifle. I'm sure you can go on Kahles, Leupold, Ziess or Sworovski's web sites and get the dimensions of the scopes in order to determine whether they will fit your rifle.

gwb

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
That 2.5-8 looks good but so would a 3-9x33 compact Leupold in my opinion. Any bigger than the 2.5-8 and the scope would look a bit big in my eyes.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I have a Sauer 202 Outback, and I went with a Swarovski A series 3-9x36mm. The whole package is just at 7.5 pounds.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SamC:
Is a Kahles 2X7X36 or a Leupold 2.5X8X36 too short in length for a 30 06 length action, I hate extensions?

You won't need extension rings if you use the proper bases. The ring placement on the rear base should be forward, and on the front base it should be rearward. Many bases are reversable to accomodate a wide range of mount spacing.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SamC
posted Hide Post
I finally made a move, I bought a Swarovski PH 2.5-10x42 with a 7a reticle. I got a great deal from Doug at Camera Land that I just couldn't pass up. Now I'm saving for a set of Talley QD's to mount it on my rifle.
Sam

Posts: 26 | Location: Upstate New York | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote