THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Inexpensive optics choices for inexpensive rifle...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inexpensive optics choices for inexpensive rifle...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay, so I've narrowed my choices down based on what is available locally to a bunch of scopes in my price range.

The rifle is a .257 Weatherby Magnum and it'll be used for deer out of a tree stand, shots can be quite long so IMHO a 3-9x variable is the minimum.

Bear in mind I'm in Canada so these things can be pretty expensive up here, I have no problem ordering from a reputable American company though if the price is right on a nice piece of glass (like a 3-10x40 Weaver or 2.5-10x40 Elite 4200 which are otherwise out of my range).

Here is the list I've selected:

Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40mm
Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40mm ($300 locally, most expensive of the bunch)
Simmons Aetec 2.8-10x44mm (most flexible/biggest obj. but synonymous with cheap Savage package guns)
Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40mm
Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40mm (most likely choice, big Nikon fan)
Leupold VX-I 3-9x40mm
Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40mm

There must be a few choices I'm missing, so I'm hoping you guys can fill in the blanks. How are the Sightron SI's?

Throw out some suggestions/opinions! Also, if you're a retailer and think you can beat the brutal Canadian pricing, feel free to spam me your links Smiler

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was given a Leupold Rifleman 3-9 for Christmas a year ago. I was thinking to myself: "cheap scope", but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. The optics are clear and the adjustments are right on. Given what they cost, they are fine stuff.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Id go with the Leo in the Vx1.

I have one and they are as well built as my VXIII.

The main diference is the crosshairs.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3077 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you cant tell the difference in optics between cheap leopolds and their VX111's you need new glasses,that said i think the nikon will be a clearer scope which is what you need at long range

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 399 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with the Nikon!! You won't go wrong! If you can save your pennies and go up to the MONARCH line, you'll be pleased!! If you save your pennies and go up to the MONARCH, you'd throw rocks at the other lines you mentioned!(Exception maybe being the Elite 4200) GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 5-15X 40MM coming in later this week. I'm going to mount it on my new Savage 10-FP in .308 Winchester. I'm going to use Burris Extreme Tactical bases, (2-piece steel), and Burris Signature Zee Rings with the plastic inserts. This scope is right around $300.00 and offers good optics and clarity for the money. I'm starting to like the Bushnell line more and more simply because they give you excellent optics for the money. I have over a dozen Leupolds in most all the different models, and while they are excellent scopes, I'm getting a little tired of dishing out close to a grand everytime I want to scope a rifle. I also have a Savage Model 12 F/TR in .308 that I'll be scoping out as well. I'll be using the same bases and mounts, but will go with the Bushnell 4200 Elite Tactical on that one. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Elite 4200, Elite3200 and a Nikon Prostaff.

I have been using the 3200 for at least ten years now. It holds zero very well, does great in low light. The 4200 is better due to the larger FOV than the 3200. Other than that they seem to perform about the same.

The Nikon Prostaff has a good FOV and does pretty good in low light, but the knobs to site in are the old (have to use a penny) type. The Bushnell Elites are finger turn.

For the money, I have found that the Elite 4200 and 3200 are hard to beat. But, I have never owned any of the others you listed, so I cant compare it to them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is excellent feedback so far. My regular "go-to" scopes on some of my other guns are Monarchs and VX III's - excellent scopes.

I'm just having problems justifying $700 for another! Hence the lower priced options, scopes are expen$ive up here.

Really, ultimately, I think the top 3 as far as price/performance go are:

Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40: $269.99
Leupold VX-I: $259.99
Bushnell Elite 4200: $299.99

And most people will agree this category/price range has improved massively over the years, those are all pretty decent glass.

Feel free to continue discussing!

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30 years ago, LEUPOLD was the king of the roost! They had the glass, they had the service, they had the name...........still have the name because of what they did 30 years ago! Others have caught up now with quality. The Nikon Buckmasters on a dark evening, probably close to "legal shooting time" will surpass the BIG L in clarity and light gathering and definition to "edge of field of view". At about 1/2 the cost. I sell them all! I use NIKONS! Best value for price out there!GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundhog devastation:
30 years ago, LEUPOLD was the king of the roost! They had the glass, they had the service, they had the name...........still have the name because of what they did 30 years ago! Others have caught up now with quality.

I'm starting to agree with this assessment more and more. In the 70's and 80's nothing could touch Leupold, nothing. But since then other makers like Nikon and Bushnell have not only caught up, but passed Leupold in quality and clarity. Especially since they started their "new" marketing with all their VX-I, VX-II, and VX-III sillyness. They took away adjustable objectives on many of the new models. Not to mention they still produce the VX-I and VX-II model with 2 piece tubes when other makers offer one piece on models costing far less. Leupold still produces great scopes, but for the money today, you can do as well, or many times better with other manufacturers. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$40 difference between an Elite 4200 and a VX-1?
That's an easy decision.
In the US, the Nikon Team Primos is available fo r$199 online....something else to think about.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mikey,
If you go to some of the smaller gun shops in Winnipeg, you may be able to find a good used Leupold or Bushnell Elite (not qualified to comment on the quality of the others). I once found an OLD (30+ years) 4x Leupold in a pawn shop with Weaver rings on it for $125. It currently sits on my go-to 30-06, and it doesn't move, change zero, or anything. Sometimes you can get real good deals on some decent used stuff.
Hope this helps,
Graham

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In your grouping the Elites and the Nikon Buckmaster are probably your best bet. And this comes from a long time Leupold user. Today, most scope makers offer guarantees just as good as that other one so that's a no brainer. If you want custom features or to change a reticle go Leu.

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a Bushnell fan but the Nikons are nice - VX1 has lots of advangates over Rifleman if you ever want to change a reticle for example the VX1 can and Rifleman won't.

Sightrons are nice and clear for me and my S2 stands a lot of teenage nephew and before that teenage son abuse hunting the Rockies annually so the durability is superior. The rimfire version I have is also dependable.

In the same price range you might want to look at the Burris FF2 and get a pair of Binoculars thrown in at the same price.

It's a shame you can't take advantage of a VX3 2.5-8 for $339 at Midway right now. No good freinds in the states who need to visit or send you a late Christmas gift?

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what Leupold charges for the VX-II they should at least have 1 piece tubes. Many makes offer 1 piece tubes on scopes costing far less than Leupold charges. Bill T.

Picture of ronwk
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use NIKONS! Best value for price out there!GHD

Just ordered a Remington 700 SPS. I was told by a dealer to get the Nikon for same reason mentioned by groundhog devastation. Sounds good to me. Would appreciate input on base and rings to go with the Nikon.
Thanks - Ron K.

posted Hide Post
Like others, I've had and tried the brands you mentioned. Bang for buck, I'd buy the Nikon Buckmaster. Noone has mentioned Burris, I'm also a fan of the Fullfield IIs in that price range. A tad heavy but nice glass none the less, at least IMO. A little more money opens things up quite a bit. Monarch, VX-II & VX-III, etc....

Just my $.02 worth.

Posts: 734 | Location: Concord, NH | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Nikon 4.5x14x40 Buckmaster

I have one. It does time on a 300 Weatherby Vanguard or an AR15 depending on my mood.

It's a great scope.

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
No contest; Elite 4200 hands down!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd take a look at the Sightron SIIs. For the price, I find them to be pretty good. Good eye relief, good glass and a good price.

My 0.02

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I buy used scopes, but Leupold sent me a VX1 2x7 as a replacement scope.
I shot a deer at 500 yard through the lungs on 2X.

Sighted in at 200 yards, I had to have a few feet of hold over.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Doug at www.cameralandny.com has Pentax Gameseeker Scopes and Binos on sale. 4-12X40 scope and 10x42 binos for $109.99 right now. That is for both in the same package. God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A winner has been selected.

After careful consideration and shopping, and setting a $300 CAN price limit, I decided to expand my search some more. I investigated all of the scopes I listed above as well as a few others I hadn't considered, including the Pentax Gameseeker, Sightron SI and SII and Burris Fullfield scopes.

I discovered something interesting almost accidentally while browing the Nikon site. I was talking with my Dad and showing him the Buckmasters and Pro Staff scopes. He asked which one I'd buy if I had a bit more money, and I told him I'd use another 3-9x Monarch like I usually do. I clicked to show him the Monarch lineup and lo and behold - they don't make a 3-9x40 anymore! It's now a 2.5-10x42mm!

So I did some digging and found out that the 3-9x40mm was indeed replaced with this new scope. Online prices are putting this well into the $350-ish range in US cash - that's over $400 up here so I was a little disappointed. But then I found something mentioning that the "Team Primos" scope actually is the old 3-9x40mm Monarch. And it can be had online for just over $200 US. Add shipping to Canada and convert the cost - still under $300! A few inquring posts and some Googling revealed yes, the Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40mm scope is the old Monarch, with which I have MUCH experience (and, quite frankly, think it's an awesome scope), with the BDC reticle.

So there it is - my new riflescope is the same 3-9x40mm Monarch I have on 2 other rifles, wearing a different name with a BDC reticle. Will review the scope when I get it in and mounted and I'm in the welcome position of being able to compare it directly to the Nikon Monarch 3-9x40mm the Team Primos scope supposedly "is".

________

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Today, most scope makers offer guarantees just as good as that other one so that's a no brainer.

Everybody will offer a guarantee, they don't all respond to their bragging. Leupold does.

Posts: 16117 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know I am too late for this post, but you should have also considered the Weaver Grand Slam series. I have two 4.5x14-40s. They are a bit long but it has something to do with them letting in so much light. I consider the Grand Slams a notch under my Leupold Vari-XIIIs. In any case they are several notches above the Burris Fullfields.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
quote:
Today, most scope makers offer guarantees just as good as that other one so that's a no brainer.

Everybody will offer a guarantee, they don't all respond to their bragging. Leupold does.

I agree with wymple.
I sent a Tasco back, and had to pay shipping and a fee.
I waited for 18 months.
They sent a new scope.

I sent back my brother's Leupold Vari X II 3x9x40 because he thought the adjustments were too hard to turn.
They fixed it and sent it back in two days.

I have only three new Leupolds, 6.5x20x40, 6,5x20x50, and 8.5x25x50.
But I have ~ a dozen used old Leupolds from gun shows and ebay.
If it says Leupold, I can buy with confidence.

I have dozens of Asian scopes, and I am sorry I bought every last one of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like three scopes as inexpensive choices.
Leupold, in at least a VX1 is my first choice. While not fully multiocated, it does have a big eye box and excellent eye relief. Since all Leupold scopes are recoil tested at least 750 g's for 5000 times, even the Rifleman is a very tough, reliable scope.
The one piece tube design, while sounding nice, has never been proven to be either stronger or more waterproof.
Next in line would probably be the Bushnell Elite 4200's for a guy that shoots from a stand. For general hunting however, they have too little eye relief, and too small an eye box for my needs. They are, however, a very reliable scope. Right up there with the average Leupold. Recoil tested as well. As far as I can determine, only Leupold and the Bushnell Elites are tested for recoil resistance in any meaningful way.
My last choice, and this is simply the way I'd rank them, would be the Burris FFII. My 3-9X400 tests at 4 inches of eye relif at 3X, and is fully multicoated. The eye box, while not in the class of the basic Leupolds, is pretty good. Much better than the Elite 4200, for instance.
For a guy that hunts early and particularly late, one of the fully multicoated scopes would have an edge. For stand type of hunting, eye box means little. So that kind of specialized hunting, for me, it would be either the Elite 4200 or the Burris FFII. E

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, the deal on the Nikon fell through, so that opened up the floor again for inexpensive scope options.

I just just bought a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40mm in matte with regular PLEX reticle for about $50 cheaper than anywhere else in Canada due to a closing out sale on eBay form a small reputable shop. Never really tried a Burris before, but from the reading I've been doing it's easily in the same class as the rest of these scopes.

________

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Nikon Prostaff, as I did not want to wait for a Leupold to get ordered and reviews are good on them. It's OK, but not worth twice what I paid for my Bushnell Trophies. It takes some doing to find a noticeable difference in the optics. Maybe it's my eyes. I have made a mental decision to upgrade my scoping standards, tho. My next scope will be a Leupold.

Posts: 16117 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'll just say that I had a Nikon Monarch that my rifle fell on and put a permanent 40 minutes of look down on. The guys at Nikon replaced the scope and I had it back inside 2 weeks.

I use Leupold mostly on my guns, but the Nikon is a good solution.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Save your money and buy a best quality scope. Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14 with Rapid Z 600 comes to mind. The .257 Weatherby Magnum deserves it.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Burris arrived, very nice scope! I'm pleased with the purchase. I like it more than the 3200 and VX-I from an optical standpoint. Maybe a tad bit more clarity at the extreme edges than the Buckmasters. Not in 4200/Monarch territory, but WAY cheaper, which is what I was going for on this rig.

I have a thing with spending more on the scope than I do on the rifle - I don't do it! Bear in mind scope prices are ridiculous in Canada, way out of line with simple currency conversion. Besides, this is sort of my entry to the .257 Wby, I've decided if I like it, I'll buy an Ultra Lightweight and get a nice scope for it, this is just a beater and an experiment and honestly, who couldn't use a decent 3-9 kicking around when they need to test something?

Now I just need to order up the DNZ mount for it.

________

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeyB:
Actually, the deal on the Nikon fell through, so that opened up the floor again for inexpensive scope options.

I just just bought a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40mm in matte with regular PLEX reticle for about $50 cheaper than anywhere else in Canada due to a closing out sale on eBay form a small reputable shop. Never really tried a Burris before, but from the reading I've been doing it's easily in the same class as the rest of these scopes.

I have the FFII 3x9 with busy reticle and illumination. It is a good scope, but drains the battery over night on "off".

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Do not have any Burris illuminated reticle scopes, but have several other Burris'. Zero complaints for the dollar, great service on an"injured" scope, replaced free some years back.
Like my S&B's, Zeiss, etc, but for the money burris has always been grand.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote