Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold 3.5-14x50 VX-7 30mm Riflescope
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted
Some of you know that I only buy one brand of scope (USO), however today while at the gun store picking up Leupold 30mm rings for my .204 Ruger #1, I had a chance to fondle the subject scope.

I must say I was impressed. Even out the window (bad idea because you add the distortion of the window to the results) I could at 75 yards in medium bright conditions see individual "spines" on a fir tree limb which are about 1/16 in diameter. Scope was not overly contrasty and had knob locks and eyepiece European style rapid focus.

While I believe the scope sells for around $1600 at retail, the sale price was $1395 which puts it within acceptable limits for base price of comparable quality scopes. All else being equal, it seems that people in Beaverton are finally getting their act together.

Only thing I would like to see is reticle scale with same units as knobs. (either MOA or MIL).
But after all the years of resisting progress, they are slowly getting it together.

RECOMMENDED! thumb

Notice of owners of over 100 rifles: I'm not kidding here, this stuff is brilliant. Send emissary to Beaverton to investigate.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't you feel a little silly paying that for a scope when the manufacturer's actual production costs per unit are virtually pennies different from a VX-I?

Admittedly, amortizing the development and tooling costs adds significantly, but Leupold's profit margin in this unit is phenomenal.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DMCI*

I bought a VX-7, 1.5-6x when they first came out with that series. I was/am impressed with the image it provides, and did some comparing to other lesser Leupold scopes I have, and there is no comparison. The glass and coatings are as good as it gets in the Leupold line up. I haven't owned our looked thru the US Optical scopes you like, so I can not make a statement as to which is better. One feature they have that I like are the adjustment knobs; they are high class.

Don

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Don't you feel a little silly paying that for a scope when the manufacturer's actual production costs per unit are virtually pennies different from a VX-I?

Admittedly, amortizing the development and tooling costs adds significantly, but Leupold's profit margin in this unit is phenomenal.

Sir: I am here to tell you that you don't know diddley squat about optics manufacture.

The optics that I saw in that VX-7 were on a par with the finest high grade NIKON or LEICA camera lenses which sell for considerably more. Finish, machining, adjustment exceeded anything I have seen with the exception of USO and perhaps S&B.

Cost of glass, coatings and manufacture is significantly more than the lowest lines. That is the whole point.

I apologize for making such a comment, but BILGE is BILGE.

--------------------

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad you don't feel silly, and that you have no problem with contributing to Leupold's phenomenal profit margin on this unit.

My wife accidentally ordered a bottle of $96 wine at a restaurant this week, and even though the wine was indistiguishable from more conventionally priced wines, she was thrilled to have been treated to such a lavish extravagence. Glad you're enjoying your scope.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Glad you're enjoying your scope.

Actually, I didn't buy it.

I did however buy two USO 1.8-10x40 Scopes with MIL EREK system and lit MIL Scale reticles.

These were the same price (roughly) as the VX-7 with vastly better features and options. Probably the best CQB first perimeter scope on the market, although I am using them on my light varmint rifles. (.17HMR Cooper, etc.)

--------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the manufacturer's actual production costs per unit are virtually pennies different from a VX-I?

bsflag

Sources please? Upon what factual data do you base that claim?

I don't suppose you've actually priced optical glass lately. Good stuff goes for over $1000 per pound--for a raw block of the stuff, before you even begin cutting lenses. You think that's what they use in their VX-I's? Or even VX-III's? Obviously not.

Have you spent much time with one of these scopes? Everybody I know of who has, has been very impressed with the optics compared with the VX-III's (much less VX-I's).

Are they worth the price? That's a different question--they do look like very nice scopes, but for that price I'd go with different brands.

But for you to suggest there's no real difference between these and the VX-I's is simply comical and wreaks of the, "No scope in the world is better than my really, really cheap Leupold gosh darnit!" syndrome you've been known for.

I encourage all to go to their local outlet and pick up, look through and handle a VX-7 and a VX-I at the same time. Then have a good chuckle at Stonecreek.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Although I don't know what the differential is in unit cost between a VXI and VX7, I would be more interested to determine if the the differential in retail price is proportionate to the differential in performance/build quality. As discussed in a previous thread, I am not convinced that scopes costing up to $600 are 2-3 times less the scope than those costing $1200-$1800. I still feel that the best bang for the Buck are the Leupold VXI, II, III, and Zeiss Conquest line. I am sure there are others, but I am familiar and completely satisfied with these. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lou,

Depends on your use!

I find the Leupold VX-1,2,3 just fine for most all situations. But woefully short on performance when the light is dim, compared to much more expensive scopes.

So, I own number of Leupold VX 1,2 and 3's (Actually, most are Vari-X's and still going strong) and a smaller number of very expensive scopes the performance of which cannot be matched by scopes costing significantly less. This mirrors the generally fewer requirements for a really, really good scope vs. the common requirement for a good enough scope.

So, is the performance differential woth some multiple of, say, a Leupold VX cost? No, except when you need it! Which isn't very often.

With VX 7 reports comming in, I'll have to go take a look.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
My problem with VX-1 to VX-3 is that they are designed for price market.

Nikon camera lenses range in price for same focal length from $300 or so up to over $1500 for standard (non-long) Focal length. Zeiss 2 1/4 lenses even more.

The Europeans had no market price expectations so they have always thrown money at scopes. Now leupold seeing this opportunity out there is finally attempting to compete and with their scale of production can beat the European prices (Did I say $1.60 Euro? You can forget my trip to Germany this year!)

What does resolution and quality coatings do for you? See if you notice it in this picture.

--------------------