Find
Notify
Tools

Source of Zeiss HD5 Conquest Lenses
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted
Does anyone know where the lenses on the Zeiss HD5 Conquest scopes come from? On the eyepiece are the words "Assembled in Germany." So I assume that Zeiss gets the lenses (and possibly other parts) from somewhere else and assembles the scope in Germany.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 166 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Some of their camera lenses use Japanese Cosina glass. Might be the same for the conquest.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I can't find any reference to them in the 2018 catalog but it says Conquest HD binoculars were made in Germany.

I doubt that the lenses would come from too far from there, partly because lifting the power multiple seems to go hand-in-hand with production close to home. I seem to recall the American-assembled Conquests had lenses from Meopta, and they only had 3x multiples.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
I can't find any reference to them in the 2018 catalog but it says Conquest HD binoculars were made in Germany.

I doubt that the lenses would come from too far from there, partly because lifting the power multiple seems to go hand-in-hand with production close to home. I seem to recall the American-assembled Conquests had lenses from Meopta, and they only had 3x multiples.

The Conquest HD binos are made by Kamakura in Japan, and always have been. This is common knowledge amongst the birder dudes. They may have done final inspection in Germany, but that's it.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

The Conquest HD binos are made by Kamakura in Japan, and always have been. This is common knowledge amongst the birder dudes. They may have done final inspection in Germany, but that's it.

They are marked Made in Germany, but likely that label allows some flexibility in the % of total build to qualify. The same goes for Made in USA, Assembled in USA, etc. “Buy America” and “Buy American” rules are even more complicated.