Find
Notify
Tools

Burris FFII disappointment....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Any of you had any troubles with your FFIIs?

I bought two and sold one because it was blurry. The second one seemed ok until I mounted it on an 06 this year. Took it out a week ago with a proven load to zero and the adjustments were off terribly. The windage dial was very stiff but eased after a bit of adjustment. After quite a few rounds, I finally nailed it down, but it's moving an inch per clik at 100 yards! I have it zeroed, but don't have any confidence in it right now, so it looks like the 06 is gona sit this season in the safe. It may hold zero fine, but the screwed up adjusments has me alittle worried.

Looking like Nikon Buckmasters and VX1s are definitely the top of the heap for cheap scopes these days....

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at the small print on the box. I think you'll find that these fine scopes have been brought to you all the way from The Phillipines. If somebody bothered to haul them all that way then you know they must be "good uns"!

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloader, I looked through a FF II once and the sight picture was horrible IMO. BTW, don't sell the Nikon Prostaff scopes short, they are the best value in a riflescope I have seen. I bought a Prostaff for a 270 a while back and sold the rifle with the scope and wish I had kept the scope. This Prostaff was clearer and brighter than my 3 older Buckmasters.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I have 4 of them, but they are older and not a product of the Phillipines.

A while back, I do know that the 3-9s and the 4.5-14s were being made there, but I don't know about the other models.

Granted, they are not the optical equal of the Nikon Monarchs (my favorites) but are reasonably close in quality to the BuckMasters lineup. I consider them good, solid utilitarian scopes -- or at least the older ones.

As to mine, I am as pleased as punch, especially with the 3.5-10x50. It's maybe 6 years old and has seen lots of use. I did have to send it in earlier this year when the ocular lens worked loose, but I had it back in less than 2 weeks. It is currently on an Encore Pro Hunter .308 WCF barrel, and I just used it a few days ago to pop the piggie below:

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9403 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I mentioned in the earlier reply that I considered the FFIIs to be utilitarian scopes, and in thinking back over the past few months, most of my tougher hunts – where guns get exposed to treatment that can leaves character marks in stocks and on scopes -- have been with guns wearing Burris glass.

Maybe subconsciously I don’t take out my Nikons or Conquests on outings other than where they get pampered. But for everything else, the FFIIs do nicely.

Also, the 3.5-10x50 is plenty bright for moonlight stalks, and I’ve even used the 3-9x40s for such.

Here are just a few animals I have taken since mid-summer using FFIIs. Like I mentioned, they have served me quite well and have been remarkably reliable. I’m a bit picky with glass, and if they were the least bit problematic, I would ditch them in a heartbeat. But again, mine are slightly older scopes.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9403 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got an FFII a could years ago.
3x9 balistic plex illuminated

The illumination switch turned to "off" runs the battery down in a couple days.

I now store that scope with a new battery attached with a rubber band to the outside of the scope.

None if my illuminated Leupold scopes have that problem.

What does it all mean?
I am disappointed in my FFII.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I have two FFIIs. A 3x9x40 on my 280 and 3.5x10x50 on my 7mmRM. Good, clear scopes that have not lost zero in the 3 or 4 years they have been on my rifles. As I take good care of my firearms/scopes when in the field, they have not been put thru a torture test other than heavy rain storms, but neither have my Nikons or Leupolds been said tested either. I think the FFII is one of the better scopes out there for the money.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we run 3 2-7 x35 with the german #4reticles 0n my 338win mag my sons 375 h&h and a 303 epps,my good mate uses a 3-9 on his 308 so far no problems and we all swear by them

Posts: 157 | Location: N.E. Victoria Australia | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Eeehh, I don't want to go on an "anti-Burris" rant here because I think their Signature mounting system is about the best commercial one out there; it's standard issue on all our hunting rifles.

BUT

I've found their optics, even the high-end ones, to be OK at best. They aren't the worst, but for the $$, I've seen a lot better - particularly with their Euro binocs and Signature scopes. The FF line is right on par with the rest of the stuff coming out of SE Asia these days, so it's hard to pass judgement on Burris without maligning the rest of the companies.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I had one of the 2X7 FFII's that I bought used from somebody on this forum. I didn't like it much because the eye placement was so critical. I put it on a .45 magnum muzzle-loader and the reticle feel out after about 100 shots. I sent it back to Burris and they didn't fix the scope, they sent me another USED scope with heavy ring marks and a scratched tube. That was my one and only Burris scope.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ray in seattle:
Rooked again.......Examining a $490 Fullfield II Tactical 6.5 x 20X-50 in OD to go on my new Rem. M700 PSS in .308.....it does have a label: Made in the Phillipenes However looks and feels good and has a 5 yr. warranty...we shall see. r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
The Edmonds community college TV station has a 200 level law course that had a lecture on contracts this week.

The lawyer lecturer said that extended warranties in WA are a rip off as all merchandise carries a warranty from the retailer in WA state per the law.

He says if a car has 40,000 miles and 4 years, and the engine falls out, the retailer must fix it. But if the car has 110,000 miles and 11 years and the engine falls out, it will be a hard sell to the judge to get it fixed for free.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote