New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold "Alaskan" Scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Will someone tell me what the story was about these scopes, what powers, and how good they are? I am looking for a scope for a pre-64 M70 in .300 H&H and like the idea of a classic fixed 4x scope. Any one know where I might be able ti find one?

Thanks

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great scopes! But they were made by Lyman not Leupold and I believe that the Alaskan only came in 2.5x. The Lyman All American came in 4x.

Try either Chris Hyde at Vintage Sporting (256- 534-9292) or Garry Fellers (817-346-9633). I’ve bought from both of them in the past. Garry is sometimes hard to get a hold of, but Chris usually answers right off.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

I'll give them a call to see if they have a line on an original "Alaskan." Leupold did manufacture an "Alaskan" for one year, 1990 I believe. I have seen a couple for sale but they are usually pretty pricy. I guess my real question is what, if any, advantages does one of the Leupold "Alaskan" or original Leupold Alaskan Scopes have over a new Leupold M8 4x?

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doublegun,

Didn’t know Leupold made a model called the Alaskan, never seen one.

If it was made in 1990 I’m sure it would have somewhat better glass and coatings than the older M8’s would have had since both those were evolving rapidly in that time period.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote