New
Find
Notify
Tools

parallax question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
on a 2-7x33 Leupold VariX-II with the 75 yard shotgun parallax setting, how far can this scope be used (on big game, not targets or varmints) before the short parallax setting becomes a problem ?

thanks in advance

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that most big game rifle scopes are set parallax free at 100 yards. I would estimate your 2-7x33 being fine out to around 275 yards.

Buliwyf

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO parallax is a grossly overstressed problem when talking about game hunting. Most of us are going to use a reasonably centered cheek/eye position while hunting and it is not going to come into play. For target shooting where tenths of a MOA often make the difference between winning and "glad you showed up" it is more of a concern or if you're shooting around corners with one eye sticking over the stock from the wrong side at some bad guy a few hundred yards off, it might be more of an issue.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo wrote: "IMO parallax is a grossly overstressed problem when talking about game hunting. "

Amen to that...

I'll never forget a "hunter" telling a salesman in a Houston gun store that he missed 3 deer inside of 100 yards due to parallax and the inability to correct it on his current scope. I didn't stick around to see what he bought, but I'd be willing to bet the salesman was a happy camper (commission!) after this guy left.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies, that;s pretty much what I thought

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you get your rifle in a very steady rest, aim at something say 300 yds away, move your eye around the immage a bit, as you might on an awkward position shot, and you will see the crosshairs moving across the target. That's your max.parallax error at that range. If you can keep your eye centered you may not have any error.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote