THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a good spotting scope for the money.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Well I took the wife with me to the range the other day. She was using my Simmons spotting scope to locate her 22 cal holes at 100yds. After doing so she felt real sorry for me.

So she wants to get me a better scope. Not talking about a $2500-$3000 scope. Just a scope with a lot better glass than my Simmons without breaking the bank. Variable is a must after that open to suggestions.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Nikon makes one for about $450 but I don't remember the model number. I personally use a Zeiss 85 FL and the Nikon impressed me.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at the 20-60x80mm Vortex Skyline ED. They're supposed to be a great scope for the money and have an unconditional warranty.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Kowa brand of spotting scopes, They are pretty much the standard for match shooters and their less costly ones, 3-500 bucks are generally better than some of those going for much more. They do make more expensive models, but all Kowas are excellent glass. If you were at Camp Perry next week or so you would see a majority of shooters are using some version of a Kowa scope. Good stuff!!

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://betterviewdesired.com/Pentax-65-mm-Spotting-Scope.php

they come in a pkg w/20-60 but the XW series are the way to go IF you want the best for other than viewing bullet holes. I believe gr8fuldoug has the package deal for around $600.. HTH

VR
Earl

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I've been happy with my Kowa TSN-600 angled, you can find them for around 325 to 350. Very clear and fit into a range bag very well.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A High Power guru Jim Owens sells both Kowa and Konus.

The 20-60x80mm Konus scopes go for about $235 and 100mm for $110 more--I bought one and am pleased. It has an angled eyepiece and rotating collar for easy viewing. He offers to buy it back when you are done with it--- if he is still alive.

He also sells a great scope stand for $125.

www.jarheadtop.com