Find
Notify
Tools

Quality DG Scope Recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted
I just can't bring myself to buy a Leupold 1.5-5x20mm scope for my dangerous game rifle.

It's the accepted "standard" scope used by a lot of African hunters but I hate the dang things, they don't transmit much light, and IMO they look inexcusably ugly on top of a quality rifle.

I've looked at the Zeiss Conquest 1.8-6x38 Linkand it seems to have a 4" eye relief which will hopefully be enough for a 458 Win Mag and it looks about right but I thought I'd step up in quality and maybe get one with an illuminated reticle or dot and a Diavari.

The Diavari line only offers 3.5" eye relief and for a heavy kicking rifle I don't think that's enough.

Anybody have any suggestions? S&B? Swarovski?

I'd like 60' or more field of view at 100yds and at least a 36mm objective lens.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
The S&B Zenith 1.5-6x42 looks like a winner but only has 3.7" of eye relief... Is this enough?
Zenith Scopes

The FlashDot reticle looks PERFECT though. I like the No. 8 FlashDot model...
FlashDot Link

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The leupold 1.75-6 is a very good scope for you application. Light weight and great eye relief. Great value for the $ IMO. Euro glass is better but high weight lower eye relief and much higher price. Many of us have the choice of any scope and keep coming back to leupold.

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
studdog,

You have a good point there.

A couple things I noted in looking at it on the SWFA site ( Link ) was that the eye relief isn't constant.

It has a generous 4.4" eye relief at 1.75 power which is one of the best for any scope I'm aware of but the eye relief at 6 power is not good at all at at 3.2".

This not only can be dangerous but your head has to be moving back an forward as you zoom in and out to maintain a good sight picture.

You're right about the weight but on a DG rifle such as the 8 pound rifle I'm putting it on the extra weight is no problem and maybe even welcome.

I'd also prefer a bigger objective lens up front for better light transmission.

I may very well end up wtih this scope anyway but for now I'll keep looking.

$bob$

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new Swaro Z6 in 1-6x has an extended eye relief version (almost 5 inches) that looks interesting. The S&B eye relief feels quite generous as well.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I dont have any personal exp. with this scope, but I do with their products. Look at the AG Nickel-- Nickel Magnum 1.5x6. These scopes are very crisp and clear. I'm sure no one will have one on your block.

www.nickel-ag.com

505ED

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
rdelius

I haven't been able to find published specifications for the Z6 series eye relief.

Where did you find them?

$bob$

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On 24 Hour Hampfire, Optics section, 4th post down, or on the Swarovski website.

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Unless Swarovski has made changes in the last week or two it's not on their website.

$bob$

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Just checked their website again and it's still not there. Don't know if this link will work or not but here's the spec page for the Z6 Scopes.

Note the extremely wide field of view for these scopes. In that sense they should make EXCELLENT dangerous game scopes.

Swarovski Z6 Spec Sheet

$bob$

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a show sample Zeiss Conquest 1.8X6 from the sample list in Classifieds for $400 and I love it. It is going on my 375 Dakota. Bright with excellent eye relief. See if they have any more!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
I put the Trijicon 1.25-4x24 AccuPoint on my 375 & really like it, very bright, illuminated (no batteries), etc. Very nice scope.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
LJS,

That's certainly a good decision... I'm teetering on the brink here...

I just won an auction for a DGR so maybe just maybe I'll be calling Doug tomorrow.

$bob$

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Back when I had my .375H&H I owned a Leupold 1.5X5X20 and Kahles Helia 1X4X24. I wasn't sure which I wanted to use for the rifle. Since I owned both I was able to mount both and play with them on the rifle they would be used on. After going through this it was an easy choice. The kahles was the clear cut winner. The biggest thing was the sight picture appears instantly on the kahles were you had work a little harder to get it with the leupold. While the leupold was certainly adequate it pailed in comparison to the kahles. Another thing I really liked is the 1st plane reticle. These really shine on low powered scopes. I'm sure the 1X6 scopes are nice but I just can't see how they would compare for fast target acquisition.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best scope I have is an S&B 1.5-6x42. Is simply a lovely scope with terrific light gathering ability at dawn and dusk. Very highly recommended.

The .416 Rigby wears a Leupy 1.5-5x20 IR. It has served very well indeed.

As the recoil goes up, the scopes own weight becomes its enemy. The lighter the better. My .458 AR wears the scope that I have been told is as close to indestructable as possible ... a Leupold 2.5 x 20 Compact. It has been fitted with an A-5 reticle by Premier. Unfortunately, Premier no longer works on Leupold scopes because leupold will not provide parts.

All have held up well. The Rigby has been to Africa twice and taken Gemsbock, Hartebeast, and Cape Buffalo as well as American Bison. It always works.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
The .416 Rigby wears a 1.5-5x20 IR. It has served very well indeed.

Not sure I know what scope you're referring to here.

$bob$

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDHunter:
The S&B Zenith 1.5-6x42 looks like a winner but only has 3.7" of eye relief... Is this enough?
Zenith Scopes

The FlashDot reticle looks PERFECT though. I like the No. 8 FlashDot model...
FlashDot Link

$bob$

Can't go wrong with the S&B... I have the 1.1X4 on a 416 Rigby and absolutely love it... thumb

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

$bob$

Would that be an IR Valdada??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Leupold ultralight series in the 2.5x20 is from everything I've heard one of the toughest scopes you can get at any price. It also has I think 4.9 inches of eye relief. I think I'm about to buy one myself to go on my 458 Lott.

Posts: 122 | Location: Villa Rica, GA. | Registered: 27 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
I would definately look at the Nikon Monarch Gold before you buy. They are available in a 1.5-6x42 along with several other magnification ranges. The thing that really sets them apart is the extremely friendly eye relief. It's 4" and head placement isn't fussy at all. The final big selling point is that they are available with a #4 reticle with seems to draw your eye to center quite well.

I use mine on my "go to" Kimber .308 for whitetails. I could not recommend a scope more highly.

Gabe

Pa to three sons
Sambone 5
Catcher 3
Heebies 1
Husband to one wife
the Cluck

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IR Illuminated Reticle perhaps, the make those now at Loopie...

/C

quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
quote:
quote:

$bob$

Would that be an IR Valdada??

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Monarch Gold 1.5-6. I bought it because of the constant 4" eye relief. I have used it to fire 19 shots from a .338; not enough to comment on it's durability.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd still buy the one I'm using on my .416 Rigby, the 1.75-6x Leupold with a premier reticles 4a. It sure has enough eye relief at any power for me. I also have a Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6x on a 9.3x62 and it is the best scope I have at twilight, followed by the Conquest. I wouldn't be afraid of the Conquest 1.3-5.5x I have had great luck with them and the optics are great.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reading the specs on eye relief is just one thing to look for....The length of the eye piece can be significant, especially if the scope is already pushed as far forward as it can be to start with. In this situation, the longer the eye piece the shorter the effective eye relief. For me this is especially critcal on the CZ 550 Safaris.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't see how anybody can pick out a scope sight unseen. You just have to try them out first to get the best results.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I looked through the new Swaro Z6 1-6 scope last week. From a purely "comfort when looking through it at the one power setting" I think it is the best I've seen with both eyes open. However, it is rather big and where it sits on your rifle is a function of a lot of considerations concerning action type, scope mount choices, etc. If you can get it mounted far enough forward to take advantage of the nice eye relief than I think it would be a great choice.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
I can't see how anybody can pick out a scope sight unseen. You just have to try them out first to get the best results.

That's what gun stores are for... Their prices are usually only for "The Rich and Famous" but poor hunters like me can at least handle the cool stuff and then call our buddy Doug... <grin>

$bob$

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like saving money as much as the next guy, but I just can't buy a scope without trying it out. Once I see the one I want I just can't wait long enough to get it mail order. Probably some sort of character defect.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
Kahles Helia C 1.5 X 6 X 42

KC

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you wear glasses? (as in corrective lenses)

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
No idea who you're talking to but if it's me... No I don't... thumb

Lasic freed me of glasses about 4 years ago... dancing

$bob4

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big GrinVery good $bob$,

What is your vision now?

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
20-15 left and dominant eye

20-30 right eye

Lasic was a nightmare for me but it finally turned out OK.

$bob$

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are shooting right handed?

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Except for handguns I shoot both sides equally as well.

I usually buy right handed rifles because they're much cheaper and easier to find the way you want them.

Handguns I shoot right handed with my left eye. I've always done it that way and it seems to work well for me.

Don't tell me I'm not supposed to do it that way... Ignorance is bliss... Eeker

$bob$

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Handguns I shoot right handed with my left eye.

Big Grin That's how I found out my Wife is left eye dominant, pistol shooting.

I think you may be worried a bit to much about eye relief.

What are you going to use the illuminated dot or cross hairs for?

My choice would be The Z6

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I've finally given up on finding a loooong eye relief scope for my DGR (458WM) and bought a Leupy 2.5-8x36 for it. Confused

My 375H&H gets a Swarovski Z6 that's 2-12x50 and Doug will be mailing it to me in a few days.

I'm pretty excited about the Z6. The one I saw at Shot Show was quite simply the most exciting scope I ever had in my hands. It was clear as a bell at 2 power all the way through 12 power without refocusing.

I can only hope it works as well in the field as it did in that huge building they hold Shot Show in, in Mickey Mouse Town.

$bob$

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
OH... Illuminated crosshairs are for low light shooting but I've discovered that I can't afford them in the Swarovski scopes. <whew>

$bob$

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Well?

Need a report on the decision you made. Similar to:

"How did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"