THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vortex Razor HD 10 x 42 Binoculars review?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you own or have used these binoculars, could you please give me your opinion of them.

I gave my Swarovski EL's to my son and am looking for a replacement.

While looking at the new EL's I ran across a pair of these any they looked great at nearly half the price.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hook em Horns

Posts: 331 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I can say is that I have a pair, and really like them. They are an excellent glass.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Vipers HD as I just cound;t afford the Razors, but did play around with them and found them excellent glass. When I bought the vipers I took several pairs of Swarovski and Leicas to look at as well. I will not say the Vipers were 100% the same as either of them, but I will say the difference was so minute it impressed the hell out of me. Glare, edges to edge, and crispness were so close (for me) as to be negligible. For a full size bino I think they are great. FOr compacts, the 10x25 LEica's are still my holy grail though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Celstron Granite series might be a 1/3rd the price of your EL's and give the Vortex product a run for its money. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair and they great.

I compared the Razors to the EL's, Geovids and Victorys as it was getting dark. To my eyes the Razors were as good as the Geovids and Victorys. The EL's may have been slightly better than the Razors right at dark. Maybe an extra minute or two of visibility. To me it didn't justify the price difference. During the daylight they were all excellent.

Saying this, peoples eyes, sight and pocketbook all are different. For me the Razors the best choice.

All the best in your decision.

Posts: 802 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI,

After reading your replies (thanks), and doing quite a bit of my own research, including going to Cabela's and viewing both the Razors and Vipers outside at dusk, I bought the Vipers.

I couldn't tell any difference in the 2 in regards to brightness at dusk, which, along with sharpness, were my main concerns.

Both weigh about the same and felt the same to handle. I think the one thing that was the defining issue for me to select the Vipers was that the focus ring was "crisp" where as the Razors had more "slop". Ie the Vipers would stop where I wanted them to but with the Razors I had to rock back and forth to find the sweet spot.

Hook em Horns

Posts: 331 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's good information!

I bought the Viper HD's in 8x32 earlier this year. They have exceptional glass, are compact and easy to carry.

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had both the 10x42 Swaro EL's and the same size Razors. Found the Vortex excellent for the $. They compare to the SLC 's to my eyes!

Mitch C Kendall

Posts: 27 | Location: Kamloops, British Columbia | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote