Find
Notify
Tools

Best Binos under $500
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted
I need a pair for my wife. I like the Pentax I have now 8X40. Whats your suggestion?

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pentax DCF SP's from Doug at Cameraland New York. He sells the 8x43 for $409.99 shipped and the 10x43's for $439.99 shipped.

gr8fuldoug@aol.com
www.cameralandny.com
212-753-5128

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Any flavor of the Pentax DCF SP. Don't forget the Pentax DCF SP 10x50mm for $500 from Doug at CameralandNY.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't speak to the DCF SP's, but I've got a set of the discontined DCF WP'S. I like them, but don't over look the Nikon Monarch ATB's. Got a pair for my brother this Christmas and they are not too shabby and about $250. Haven't put them side by side yet, but no noticeable differences.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What Buster said! If I wasn't already binocular poor, I'd buy another pair for that price.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Hmmm Steiner makes a good hunting binocular in the predator series and leupold's wind river binoculars are pretty good for the money if you don't want the spectrum shift of the predators.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Top!

I did the same for my Frau, who wanted her own pair.

Went to SWFA's (www.SWFA.com) Sample List (www.SampleList.com) and purchased a great pair of Steiner 8x30's for less than $150,-. She loves'em.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About to post a set of Steiner 8X56 Night Hunters in the Classifieds... Belong to a friend, Cabela's price approaches $900, and he wants $500 shipped...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
without a doubt, the best NIB binocs you'll get in the under $500 range are either the Pentax DCF SP 8x43's or the DCF SP 10x43's .... from Doug at CameralandNY.com ...

for general purpose hunting, the 8x43's are (IMHO) the only way to go ...

- WGM -

Posts: 102 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 02 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
I think the Burris Signature line is hard to beat for the money; either in compacts or full size.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
DITTO on the Pentax, DCF-SP 8-43..I love mine.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Try the Nikons out. They are much less than your Max $ but, they are great optically.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Let's see...
Buy Nikon Monarch ATBs that have been made in a Chinese plant with Chinese labor and Japanese supervision and equipment with only seven years under its belt, OR
the Pentax DCF SP which is superior optically/technically and made in a Japanese plant with Japanese labor, supervision and equipment with 50 years of experience.

I would spend the extra $160 for the Pentax anyday!

Burris Signatures are not any better than either the Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class or Celestron Regal LX binoculars which cost about the same and the Signatures do not have their no-fault warranty that will give you a new pair of binoculars for about $25 even if you break them.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Zeiss Diafun Binoculars. Big Grin

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Leupold Wind River's or Cascade's are very nice in my opinion

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2585 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
The Wind River Cascades previous to the 2006 model year were not phase-corrected and hence not worth the money when compared to other similarly priced roof prism binoculars that have phase correction. Now that the new models are phase corrected I will have to get my hands on a pair to see how they stack up against the similarly priced roof prisms of Chinese production.

The Wind River Olympics (the next interation of the P1) are a good value. But the question was the best for under $500. Pentax DCF SP hands down.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with Gerry; SWFA: Bought my Steiner 10x50 military police for under $400. used. Did not find a mark on them...SWFA sample list is always my go to first for optics.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steiner series work well in the field. Recently used 10x30 on a deer hunt. Was able to id in low light / foggy conditions. Paid about $325 for them on Ebay.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the pentax SP in 10x43, they are great value and I paid way more for them than the Cameraland price about 1 year ago.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If anyone's interested, there's a NIB Pentax DCF SP 8x43 in the classifieds over at www.24hourcampfire.com for $375.00.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I agree the pentax is prolly the best on the list, however an extremly close second is the 8x42 nikon ATB, They feel slightly better in my hands and I honestly could not tell the difference between the ATB's and my SP's in low light conditions, maybe my lenses have a scratch or two, and his binocs where fresh out of the box, I think they are slightly lighter too, either way you can't go wrong

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42s deserve a look.

Posts: 17 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 04 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Doug from Camera Land here.
I happen to think that the best quality under $500.00 is the Pentax DCF SP series. They are awesom and as close as you will get to the Euros without approaching the $1000.00 mark.
With that said, we are running a special right now on the Minox binocs and they are worth a strong hard look.
Minox Shot Show Special
From now until I get back from the Shot Show on February 15th we are offering your choice of the Minox BD 6.5x32 IF or the Minox BD 9.5x42 IF binoculars for only $249.99 each, and the Minox BD 15x58 BR ED ASPH @ $769.99 each including shipping in the USA.
So if you are interested in any of these 3 great binoculars now is the perfect time.

The Pentax prices are still as discounted as ever @
Pentax 8x32 DCF SP @ $339.99
Pentax 8x43 DCF SP @ $409.99
Pentax 10x43 DCF SP @ $439.99
Pentax 10x50 DCF SP @ $499.99
Pentax 12.5x50 DCF SP @ $539.99

Pentax PF80 ED Straight Spotting Scope with the Pentax Zoom Eyepiece and the Soft Action Case for only $749.99

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3656 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
There certainly are a lot of options. I can't say my analysis is current, but about tree years ago shopped for good binocs that wouldn't make me feel suicidal if I dropped them from a stand. I ended up with a pair of IOR 7X40s. They are remarkably clear and bright, especially in shadow. The only down side seems their individual focus which slows me up some at very close range. I prefer my little Minox binocs when birding at close range because they have central focus and the color is truer. The IOR's are tough but a little heavier than most. I have a mild tremor in my left hand and the extra weight is a bonus for me. Without the weight I'd need stabilized binocs if scanning for long periods...like when I'm varmint hunting or hunting deer around the edge of a big soybean field.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote