New
Find
Notify
Tools

old scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a mauser with a karl kahles-wien helia s scope onit had it at the range could not get to adjust any advice? any help would be great thanks tr405

Posts: 207 | Location: new york | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That will be a top quality scope for its time.

Some of those old German scopes didnt have adjustments and you had special mounts that had the adjustments on them instead.

If the scope does have adjustments in it, it may need attention from a technician.

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd try warming it (within reason.) If the internal lube has dried and stuck a warm-up may loosen it and then exercise it every which way for a while. Shame you don't have a bore scope to see if it starts to move.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
If your scope does have adjustments (and, as Kiwi Vince noted, some do not), you may be able to get things moving with a little MODERATE heat (as JAL suggests).

About 2 decades ago, I got a old Kolmorgen (sp?) I think it was (had elevation, no windage adjustments if I recall correctly) working by warming with a hair dryer. Don't get it so hot that you can't keep your finger on it, then gently screw those adjustments in and out.

Kahles is still in business (and sold in the US, so service there should be easy) so getting them to service it if something serious is wrong should be possible.

They may even fix it for no charge -- as Zeiss did for me once on a pair of binoculars long out of warranty. Those German companies take pride in their products it seems.

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the advice the scope is clear and the 2x9 works fine it has adjustments just wont move

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just a follow up sent the scope to kahels they fixed it and put in afew new parts and shipped it back good as new and at no charge!!