New
Find
Notify
Tools

rail scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am not familiar with the rail designs like the Swaro Z6 for example. What are the pro's and con's of such a design? It looks like eye relief will not be a problem with that much adjustment available.

I haven't seen one in person so I'm not sure of how the mount attaches to the rifle but I understand that Swaro makes them compatible for Ruger rifles. I would guess the rail design is a good bit heavier but are they more reliable and repeatable for scope mounting? Are they somewhat quick detachable?

Would it be suitable for a Lott that was being used with heavy loads for dangerous game and then switching over to a scope for a 2nd hunt for PG?

I did a search but didn't see much info.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yukon, I'm an ardent fan of the rail mounted scopes - in particular the internal rails now offered by Zeiss, Swaro and S&B.

See this discussion for my reasons:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=988102622#988102622

The scope attaches to the rifle with a set of mounts - which in turn attach to the rail with a set of (squarish) nuts residing inside the rail. The mount is screwed into these nuts, and the teeth of the rail will provide additional retention under recoil. Whether the mount is QD depends on how the mount attaches to the receiver/bases.

Whether to put a Swaro on a .458 Lott would depend more on the ability of the scope to hold up under the brutal recoil than the rail mount system. In general Lotts are not a good platform for anything but the toughest scopes! Whether a Swaro would hold up, I just don't know. If it was my gun, I'd probably look at a small, non-adjustable Leupold or something similar.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
It is by far the best way how to moun a scope.

Have a look at this one (zeiss rail):
www.titanium-gunworks.de

The Swarovski SR rail is more than recoil proof, because it transfers the forces over teeth, so it is unbelievable strong.

If You are having questions about it, please PM me

Klaus

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
And here's the new swaro rail mount (BTW, the underside of the rail works like a reverse Picatiny) :

The Blaser is in 9,3x62 and everything remains rock solid.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the replies. The link to the other discussion was good also. In regards to the SR system with teeth, it seems like the return to zero would be right on. Any comments on repeatability?

Any cons besides price?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
In regards to the SR system with teeth, it seems like the return to zero would be right on. Any comments on repeatability?

Any cons besides price?

Yukon,

I can't get away from the feeling that you are looking at this from the wrong angle. For me, repeatability has to do with how the POI changes (preferably not at all) when you remove and replace a scope mounted in QD mounts.

You can have scopes mounted in QD mounts using rings, or rails. The QD ability is not about how the mount attaches to the scope, it is about how the mount attaches to the bases/receivers.

If by "repeatability" you mean the absence of movement under recoil, then the SR is miles ahead of ring mount systems (teeth plus screws as opposed to simple friction of rings on scope tube). But that in iself does not tell you anything about whether a particular scope will hold up under recoil, just how the mount might perform.

Any cons?? European scopes tend to be somewhat heavier than comparable US models. But as far as the rail mount is concerned, it is hard to find true disadvantages - other than the price...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For about $65 (the cost of the only ones I have bt so far, bt them with scopes from Cameraland) Swaro makes some adapters which allow their rail scopes to be used with Weaver bases.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. At this point, I'm thinking about the Z6 SR 1x6 scope with Recknagel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:
And here's the new swaro rail mount (BTW, the underside of the rail works like a reverse Picatiny) :

The Blaser is in 9,3x62 and everything remains rock solid.

That is a very good scope installation. No rings, just a clean mounting of a nice scope.
I have not seen a scope mounted any better..

Don

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
DMB,
Actually and until a few years ago the finest scope mounting was provided by a rail scope in Sühler claw mounts, as shown on my FN-Browning O/U in 9,3x74R

Unmatched in terms of craftmanship, solidity and 100% return to zero, the claw mount's cost (remember, it's brazed on, hand filed and the rifle has to be reblued) in no longer justified (except for costly doubles or vintage collection weapons) since the advent of (also German) EAW, Blaser, Recknagel, etc. detachable mounts.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful setup.

That's the words I was looking for..."return to zero" not "repeatability". It's been a very long week around here. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yukon, I've researched this before. The only negative I could find was about a 1/4 inch higher scope mount height. This may or may not affect you depending on the rifle and stock confiquration.

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks SD. That doesn't worry me and in fact, might help a bit. What did you end up with?