New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range Finders..recommendations please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
....anyone have any favorites or those that have been tried and were not happy with.

Looking at the Swarovski 8x30, Leica CRF 1200 and the Leupold RX-III and IV.

All are about the same size/weight...

Thanks...Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard really good things about the Leica. Dont know anybody using the Swaro or Leupolds, but I have heard some negatives on some of the Leupys. Too busy in the view and too hard to navigate is the story I have read.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned on another post here recently, I own the Swarovski and would not trade it for anything else I have seen as of yet.

My dad had to have one and I shook my head when I saw the price. But after using it, I had to have one. My dad has cost lots of folks some money with that thing. Everyone who uses it has to own one.

I had some cheaper models before this (Bushnells), but there is just no comparison.

It is a good size to carry around and the optics in it are great.

I have to admit I have not used the newest Leupolds as of yet. But they do seem quite busy in the viewing screen.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you both very much...

I am lucky in that "price is not an object as long as it is in the Cabella's catalog" as I have a credit card gift bank that ended up with a lot of money in it...

The Leica is just a little smaller but not that much more so. But would like to hear from any users.

Bob

posted Hide Post
Go with Swarovski. You will not regret it. The best optics and a simple operation - no needless clutter with various settings like Leupold. Just a pure and simple crystal clear image and immensly accurate long (and short!)-rang accuracy.

Posts: 19 | Location: UK | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both. Excluding ultra expensive military units:

The Leica is the best for the money.
The Swarovski is the Best.

If you can afford it buy the Swaro and you'll not be disappointed.................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Bushnells only good for bow hunting IMO.

Nikon Monarchs very good.

Leica gets more praise than any of them.

Check w/ Doug at cameralandny.com he often has great deals on the leicas

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
i recently compared the nikon monarch 800 and the leica 1200 and the leica blew its doors off. The leica was noticeably brighter in the day and dusk was no contest. the nikon isnt even fully multi-coated. I was ranging in tight spots with the leica without using scan that I couldnt range with the nikon using scan because the leica uses a a more narrow laser beam

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PATRIOT76:
i recently compared the nikon monarch 800 and the leica 1200 and the leica blew its doors off. The leica was noticeably brighter in the day and dusk was no contest. the nikon isnt even fully multi-coated. I was ranging in tight spots with the leica without using scan that I couldnt range with the nikon using scan because the leica uses a a more narrow laser beam

The Swarovski is about the same step you've described here better than the Leica............DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
wow they must be nice but not needed on this side of the states

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got a CRF 1200 for Xmas and the only thing I can say is holy cow! If the Swaro is better than the Leica, it'd be hard to explain to me. The Leica has great glass, ranges distances farther than you'd shoot, and instantly. Its also small enough to fit in your shirt pocket and weighs a mere 7 oz. Doesn't get any better than that for me!

Posts: 170 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I need to make a small clarification, The Leica that I own and compared the Swarovski to is the LRF 1200 not the CRF 1200. The CRF 1200 may be an optical improvement over the LRF, I haven't used a CRF 1200 yet.

AlaskaCub, Your right about either Leica. The one I had was very good and would do just about anything a hunter would ever need, the Swaro was just better yet................DJ

posted Hide Post
Have had the LRF, now have the CRF. Crf is mucho better glass and works better, too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to spend the big bucks don't count out the Nikon Laser 800. I have both the Swarovski and the Nikon. No question about it, the Swarovski is a wonderful rangefinder. But I have done quite a bit of comparison ranging with the Swarovski and the Nikon and for all but the most demanding conditions you are going to get good value for about $500 less money if you buy the Nikon. However, if you do have the cash, no question about it, Swarovski is the way to go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by djpaintles:
I need to make a small clarification, The Leica that I own and compared the Swarovski to is the LRF 1200 not the CRF 1200. The CRF 1200 may be an optical improvement over the LRF, I haven't used a CRF 1200 yet.

DJ: I am 599 dollars happy that you corrected your statement above. the CRF that I just ordered from Cameraland is SUPPOSED TO BE smaller, faster, and better than the LRF.

and that also makes it smaller, faster, and lighter than the Swaro.

Jameister

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies so far...so I am down to two...

As was said before "price is not an object". This is basically a freebie because of built up credit card points...so I can get either the Leica or the Swarovski with nothing out of the pocket.

Has anyone used the CRF and the Swarovski side by side???

Thanks again...Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
As said before I haven't used the CRF and Swaro side by side but there is one other thing you might consider....Service.
Swarovski service is second to none. They have a US service center. I don't know how good Leica's is and whether or not they service them here in the US or have to send them back overseas, you might want to look into it....................DJ

posted Hide Post
I agree that the Swarovski is the best out there.

Although most of you guys are based Stateside, anyone coming the the UK or even to buy mail order would do well to look at this Scottish company (I bought my Laser Guide from them). They are currently charging GBP 425 for the Laser Guide. This works out at approx $820, which I think is about $60-70 cheaper than anywhere I have found in the US. Their service is excellent and they seem to use good, but afforable couriers!

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/laser_guide_1.htm
http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/

Posts: 19 | Location: UK | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm headed to Florida tomorrow and will check out both at the SHOT Show...

The size and weight of the Leica is a very strong selling point....but I do like the 30mm objective lens of the Sw...

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
As said before I haven't used the CRF and Swaro side by side but there is one other thing you might consider....Service.
Swarovski service is second to none. They have a US service center. I don't know how good Leica's is and whether or not they service them here in the US or have to send them back overseas, you might want to look into it....................DJ

DJ you know if you by a Leica product from Doug, your customer service will always be good!Doug has told me more than once, that if I bought it from him, to send it to him. He will do the tough work for you!

Posts: 170 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...just returned from the SHOT Show...and the winner is... Leica. For what I want the unit for the size and weight just made all the difference. If however I was not going to be carrying any other optics with me them I would have probably leaned toward the Sw....

Bob

posted Hide Post
Newcon? I have heard very good things abot them recently.
Cdog.

One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
Just received my Swarovski 8x30 rangefinder today. Being one-eyed, I went for the Swarovski over Leica for the optics. At the price, I'm considering buying the neoprene protective case for it from Cabela's. Have any of you used this case for the Swarovski? If so, how does it fit & does it hamper operation? I had one for my Leica 800 and it fit and worked well.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bushnells only good for bow hunting IMO.

I must agree. I bought a Bushnell 800 to play with. It's not worth the money. Only effective to around 200 yards under ideal conditions. Don't bother.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote