THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Side parallex on 4.5-14x40 VX111 When is it worth the Extra $$

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Side parallex on 4.5-14x40 VX111 When is it worth the Extra $$
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I think at this stage I am leaning towards the 4.5-14x40 leupold on my Sako 7mm STW, just wanting to know when is the side paralex adjustment good on a hunting rifle and is it worth the extra money. And do you get paralex problems when you dont have it on this level of magnifiaction ??

Cheers PC.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, parallax adjustment has no place on a big game rifle. It is just one more thing to fiddle with, one more thing which may be adjusted incorrectly when things happen fast.

There might also be technical reasons to stay away from parallax adjustmenst on big game scopes (extra gizmos to go wrong, more lenses and thus less light transmission - what do I know?). Even if that would not be the case, I stay away from parallax adjustments on big game scopes. It is not needed, and could well lead to lost game. "KISS" (Keep It Simple, Stupid) is what you need for big game hunting.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mho nailed it.
Parallax adjustment on a hunting rifle is just something to distract your attention from getting the job done, that being making the kill. It's in the same domain as fiddling with the power selector of a variable scope when you should be concentration on making a shot on a big game animal. I've gone to all fixed power scopes for hunting rifles, with no parallax adjustments. Parallax adjustable scopes are fine for target shooting, and for varmint hunting (groundhogs), but not for big game hunting. I don't have a parallax adjustable scope on my Coyote hunting rifles either.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO it depends on "your" hunting style. Are you a short distance meat hunter, or a long distance trophy hunter?? Do "you" hike a lot in the steep mountains, or do you sit in a tree stand in a wood lot??

I also believe in the KISS system. However only you know how you will use the scope.

Where I hunt in WV we try to only shoot the better buck's. Most of our shot's are under 300 yards. At that distance I do not even need a scope to know whether I am looking at a shooter or not. My A-Line 3-10X Swarovski does not have parallax, and I do not think the scope needs it. If I were a true trophy hunter, and had to judge buck's at that distance and farther, then I would go with the parallax. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I hopefull ywill get to use this gun on some nice smaller deer speices one day, but mostly it will be for smoking feral game. Thanks for the help thus far.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote