Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6x too much?
 Login/Join

posted
Hey all - Just throwing this out there for opinions/discussion. Finally (after a nearly 2 year wait) my gunsmith is nearly done with a customized Win M70 I had him build. New custom Claro Walnut stock, Re-barreled and re-chambered from 270 Win (already had one) to 7x57 Mauser (I like classics).

I've got 2 scopes in the safe, both NIB. And I'm trying to decide wich to mount. I'll use this rifle to hunt deer and bear up here in NH, and deer in ME and upstate NY. Hunting a lot of thick woods, not a lot of shots over 100 yards.

The two scopes are both Burris Fullfield IIs. One is a 3x9x40 with the Ballistic reticle and the other is a 6x42 fixed.

I'm leaning toward the 6x. I just have more fixed power scopes on my rifles than others and have always liked them, but they are all 4x. My Dad and the smith both think 6x is too much scope for the kind of hunting I do. So I'm just soliciting other opinions before I mount one or the other. I suppose another choice is, buy a 4x for it like most of my others, but was thinking I wanted to use one I already owned.

What do you all think?
Thansk.
Rob

Posts: 734 | Location: Concord, NH | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go w/the 3X9. Low power for up close and still 9X for power line right of ways etc. Besides, if you take that 7X57 somewhere else you might need the extra magnafication.
Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't want a 6x personally. Give them both a try and see what works for you.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Technoman26,

Sounds like you will be hunting in some fairly close cover. Although I love the 6x Burris...think you will be happier mounting the 3x9...
I have the same 3x9 scope mounted on my 7mm mag and find that I set it on 3x and tend to forget it has any other power.

Good hunting and enjoy your new rifle.

Cheers.

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I tried the fix 6X before and NEVER liked it. Too much power most of the time.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I love the fixed 6X for open terrain, but in NH I would go with the 3-9. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

I hunt in NH as well. I'd go with the 3-9 for now. Most of my rifles wear 2-7/2.5-10 (same as a 3-9). I have a 6x42 Swarovski, but haven't found a rifle I use around here for it. Maybe for one I get for out west...

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'll probably put the 3-9 on it after all. Maybe the 6x would be best on my 22 for range work and squirels. Or maybe I should sell it and buy another 3-9 or 4x....

Anyhow, I appreciate the advice.
Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt similar terrain and a fixed 3x or 4x is what I use. A 6x is a bit much for me.
I just can't see a lot of need for a variable for that hunting.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
I just can't see a lot of need for a variable for that hunting.

I can't see him buying another scope if he already owns a perfectly good 3-9. As long as he leaves it on 3 or 4, it's fixed. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For big game at 500 yards, I want a little less that 2X.

I hunted with two scopes on two rifles this year:
Vari III 1.75x6x32 on 7mmMag
VX1 2x7x32 on 270

They both stay on the highest power at the range.
They both stay on the lowest power in the field, even when I am shooting prone with the bi-pods.

At the range, I want to see that 1" bullseye at 100yards.

In the field..
If I miss, I want to see the dust fly.
If I hit, I want to see the animal flinch.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a nice 7x57 that I bought mostly for whitetails. After going through the evaluation process, I selected a 2x7 scope and love the versatility it gives me. I had another scope on hand but sold it in the classifieds and bought a new 2x7 rather than putting something on it just because I had one. A good used scope is as good as money!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the hunting you'll be doing 6x could be too much. I culled a smallish spike buck last night. Shot it at 40-50 yards or so. I'm glad I had my variable set to 4x (the bottom of the range) because at that range, it took up most of the sight picture in the scope. Any more magnification, and I've had a hard time with the shot.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just paid for a 6x42 Leupold this evening, trading a 3-9x40 Leupold for it. I will take it off the gun and sell it, because it is too much for the hunting I do. If you have a 3-9, then use that. Far more versatile if you have anything at close range.
Regards,
Graham

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gents - A quick follow up. I think I found the perfect scope for that rifle. Although the 3-9 Burris would have been fine, I happened across a bargain priced Leupold VXIII 1.75-6x32 last night at such a good price I couldn't leave it on the shelf. That should fit the bill nicely. Thanks again for the advice. Anyone want a nice Burris Fullfield II 6x40? Eeker

Rob