Find
Notify
Tools

leupold ultralight vxII 3 x 9 33
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted
I am getting a ruger compact laminate in .308 and wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with this riflescope?
This scope is short and light which is what I want.
Does anyone have any experience with this optic and how does it perform in the field.
I wanted to put a Zeiss Conquest on but I think it's too big, gun has a 16.5 inch barrel and I want to keep it light.
Ant other suggestions are welcome, scope must have silver finish.

Posts: 156 | Location: NY | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites. Never had a problem with them and are good on a smaller rifle like that.

one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info is there enough room to mount on a ruger short action with the ruger rings?

posted Hide Post
Yes, and it will go on a LA Ruger with an extension ring. No problem on a SA.

one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted Hide Post
great thank you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hate to muddy the waters on your decision.. But have you given any thought to the VXII 2-7??

Bit more compact and all the optics you'll ever need.. It's what I put on all my compact rifles..

Just a thought..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted Hide Post
Yes MopaneMike, I did consider it. Actually I wanted a fix power, but I wanted it in silver, thus the choice. Maybe once I get the rig I will try to fit it with a scout mount and change optic to a long eye releif pistol scope or something of that sort. For now this will be the choice, it was ordered yesterday. I can always put the scope on something else, og give me an excuse for another rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the small difference in weight (~3 oz?) and length (~1/2"?) I would go for the 2.5-8X VX-III or old Vari-3. At least that is what I have done since trying a 2-7X Ultralight. I found the latter not as optically "friendly" with regard to eyebox, eye relief and the like.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote