Notify
Tools

30mm vs. 1"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Ok, How about that the "Limiting Factor" on the size of a rifle scopes Ocular isn't asthetics. It can only be so large without interfering with the bolt handle...........................................DJ

True enough, but with the growth in objective lens sizes (forcing the scope to be mounted higher off the bore), it doesn't seem there has been corresponding growth in the size of the ocular. Maybe there's an opportunity there for wider field of view scopes with large objectives. If shooters are willing to raise the scope for bigger objectives (more light), would they raise it also for wider field of view?

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4-12x50 Swaro AV:

Not much room for growth! Of course with a 3 lug bolt and shorter bolt lift you get more clearance but there are way too many older rifles that have limited clearance. Some current rifles limit you to certain scopes.
European shooters shoot with a more erect head position and that may be one reason why some Euro scopes do have wider occulars but I think the current trend is leaning towards lower mounted scopes, leupy even makes a scope with a "dented" objective to get a large objective mounted low.......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Personally I prefer the looks of a large ocular like this Kahles compared to a smaller one like this Leupold.

You'll notice that the FOV is much larger on the Kahles also. Big Grin

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
Personally I prefer the looks of a large ocular like this Kahles compared to a smaller one like this Leupold.

You'll notice that the FOV is much larger on the Kahles also. Big Grin

Good point.
Maybe I could stand a discussion on how field of view is designed into a scope. Probably a subject for a separate thread..

Don

Edit to add: I like the looks of the Leupy better... Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I noticed an add today for the new Kahles KX line it said something like "generously sized occular with a large feild of veiw". Maybe they've been reading this thread....... Smiler.........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
There is absolutely zero optical difference between the two. The objective and occular lenses are housed in the same respective bells, with the same lenses. The magnification mechanisms are the same. Simply the diameter of the tube between the two bells is larger by 5mm in diameter. The only difference is in the greater windage adjustments allowed by those 5mm. The bolt will not hit the 30mm tube if the centerline is the same height as in the 1in tube. The rings may need to be higher, but the clearance between the bells and the barrel & bolt will be the same.

I've got both and have interchanged both on several rifles.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1439 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
There is absolutely zero optical difference between the two.

Not true. There is an optical difference between the two.

Maybe they tend to use better glass or whatever in the 30mm scopes but the 30mm tube scopes within the same lines are better optically. It's somewhat easier to manufacturer larger lenses to higher optical tolerances though I doubt our eyes can really discern that much difference. I guarantee you that if you look through several different lines of 1" and 30mm tube scopes you will find that the 30mm tube scopes are better optically, but don't believe me go check for yourself..........................DJ

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post

If they use different optics, then bully to them, it is NOT due to the tube diameter. Optically the mechanisms and prisms work the same. The diameter of the tube between the objective and occular lenses makes no difference.

AS I stated above I have both Zeiss Vm/V and Swarovski 1in and 30mm tubes. The Swaro Z6 are the best made, they just happen to have 30mm tubes.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1439 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there a difference?....You bet, a big one!!!The finest scopes made are using 30mm or bigger(Nightforce, S&B, IOR, US Optics, Swaro)...I will stick with 30mm.

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coopersrcool:
Is there a difference?....You bet, a big one!!!The finest scopes made are using 30mm or bigger(Nightforce, S&B, IOR, US Optics, Swaro)...I will stick with 30mm.

Well I agree-wholeheartedly, I'm just talking about the physics involved.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
Well I agree-wholeheartedly, I'm just talking about the physics involved.

Right on!
There are some 30mm tube scopes that have better glass. For example, I just bought a Leupold VX-7, 1.5-6x24 scope. It has a 30mm tube. The glass is exceptional. If that same glass was installed in a 1" tube, I would have bought the 1" tube version over the 30mm tube model.

Don