THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Scope recommendations--High power, smallish obj. PICS ADDED

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope recommendations--High power, smallish obj. PICS ADDED
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got a new 'Tiger Cat' .223 rifle from Serengeti, trim sleek profile and obviously small action.

I am looking to have an upward power range of say 14x or maybe a little more, but don't want a scope that overpowers the size of the rifle, so I am thinking an objective of 42 or less.

Open to suggestions, I prefer higher end optics, Zeiss Conquest level or above.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Within your parameters I think your only real choice is some variation of the Leupie 4.5x14x40 which weighs about 15 1/2 ounces. I'd prefer the Conquest 4.5x14x44 which only weighs a couple of more ounces but it does have a "chunkier" look when mounted. There aren't many high end scopes with high mag and only 42 mm or smaller objectives and there's an optical reason for that.

JMNSHO but unless you are specifically going to shoot prairie dog type critters with it, I'd consider a smaller mag and higher quality scope. Out to 300 plus yards, which is pushing the normal range of a .223, 10x is plenty and that opens up a much wider variety of scope choices.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gato, that actually makes sense, I hadn't really thought about 300 or less, had thought about really reaching out there for some PD's so that's why I was thinking higher power--maybe I should leave that duty to one of my 22-250's....so maybe 10X is cool, and I have a 3x10x42 swaro 'in stock'.....

I figure this will be used mostly in good light conditions, so I might be willing to look at a Leupy, usually just won't go there....maybe an Alunina rigged with a ranging reticle????

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a lovely older Sako in 223. I put a 4.5-14 Conquest with the side focus on it. The scope might be slightly large but it's almost expected on a Varmint rifle. It's good optically and I like side focus scopes. When you have your rifle on a bipod and are trying to make out a groundhog in the field the side focus makes a big difference.
I also have a Leupy 4.5x14 "new" MK 4 LR/T (really a glorified VX-III) on another 223. It's really a better scope than I expected. It doesn't give up all that much to my Schmidt Bender Zenith when I compared them side by side and at less than 1/2 the price on only 16oz it's worth a serious look, here a link:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-3409-297-leupold-45-14x40-mark-4...30mm-riflescope.aspx

Actually if I had to choose between the two I'd probably choose the Leupold since it's more compact. I'm a big Swaro fan too but I think I'd rather have a little more magnification than the 3-10 Swaro and the 4-12 and 6-18 Swaro's are a larger scope - I originally had a 6-18x50 TDS on my Sako and moved it off for the Zeiss..............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJ, thanks for the lead. Interesting to hear your comparison to the S&B.....I do like the looks of the leupy for this rig, I do happen to have a '08 4.5x14x40 'new' Nikon Monarch, which was destined for a 6.5x284, but it got a TDS 4x12x50 Swaro early on, and the reticles were so damn good it was scary, so there it stayed....I may try the Mark-4, just to say I got one!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might take a look at the Burris "Short Magnum" scope in 4.5-14, it is just the right size for a compact rifle.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sagebrush, I will look.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For that rifle, I would go with a straight Leupold 12x scope. I have two of them and like them very much. They have the smaller objective and the scope looks good on my rifles.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
I just got a new 'Tiger Cat' .223 rifle from Serengeti, trim sleek profile and obviously small action.

That is one SWEET gun, Don! They are just so surprisingly petite in real life. Pictures just don't do these rifles justice!

I'm a large scope man myself (hunting at night time Europe probably has a lot to do with that), but putting a big scope on this rifle would be a pity. I just took a look at both the Leupold 4.5-14x40 and the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 in my safe. Either scope is exceptionally nice, but for me personally, they would overpower the Tigercat. As much as I love high magnifications, I think I'd look hard at a small 3-9 scope for this rifle. There seem to be a few of those around, which might be compact enough (perhaps a Swaro or a compact Leupold?).

Did you talk to Rod, to see what has worked on other Tigercats?? Seeing a whole bunch of these rifles and what people put on them provides an overview few end-users would be able to match.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had never seen that rifle till i saw this post. after checking it out i couldnt imagine anything other than a 2.5-8x36 VX-III on top.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, you're right. I'm sure you'll be shocked to know mine is based on a Sako M-75 I action. I'll try and get a pic up, it's a great piece of wood, ebony grip cap--I love it. Rod's has a 40 mm obj. Leupy of some nature on there...it has a ranging reticle, and it was the one responsible for my Montana badger at 187 yards! Its a good idea to ask him what to go with....

DMB, I'll have to look at the straight 12x Leupy, not familiar with it.

Kstephens, you may be right, that's a scope under consideration....

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a gorgeous piece of wood! I have not seen a Tigercat with anything but a straight rear stock before. Always a variation possible...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am looking to have an upward power range of say 14x or maybe a little more, but don't want a scope that overpowers the size of the rifle, so I am thinking an objective of 42 or less.

Open to suggestions, I prefer higher end optics, Zeiss Conquest level or above.

http://www.discoveryoptics.com/st101693.html

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

That is ONE beautiful rifle!!!

Have fun shooting it.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i believe i'd be thinking of the burris 4-12 mini

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DMB, thanks, I'm looking forward to putting this one 'into play'.

Don Slater, that's an interesting thought on the Sightron.

butchloc, I've looked at the burris, not totally off the list yet.....

I'm gonna mount my Diavari 3x9x36 on it and see what that does for me.........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's hard to beat Leupold and Burris Wink

Thanks very much,
Robert (13.45)
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 83 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
opticsplanet has 2.5-8x32 Zeiss Conquest on sale for $399.

Posts: 6487 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the 4.5-14x44 on this and to be honest I would actually go for a 6.5-20x50 Conquest its only an inch or so longer and I think it has a good field of view.

I think the conquest glass is much nicer than leupolds

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm gonna mount my Diavari 3x9x36 on it and see what that does for me.........

Fish,

Thats a really nice rifle. I like Rod and what they are doing at Serengeti.

These days I favor Conquest scopes for hunting however your rifle is so neat and compact and Conquests are not the smallest scopes. I have a 4.5-14 Conquest on a Kimber 84M Montana. Sure its a big scope on a small gun but the rig is effective. This rifle is not a looker at all however and yours is.

Try that Zeiss and be happy. A 2.5-8 Conquest would be ok looks wise. Usually Cameraland has them for $350.

The rifle at the bottom of the picture has a new 2.5-8 Conquest on it.

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Fish,

Take a look at Meoptas Meostar R1 4-12x40.

I have the Meopta Meostar R1 4-16x44 Tactic, and it's a terrific scope. I very impressed with Meopta.

The Meostar R1 4-12x40 is smaller and just about exactly what you are looking for.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I just put a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x40 on my Sako AI 17 Rem that has a pencil bbl and it looks good - it does not over power the rifle. Conquests are great scopes but they are not as sleek as the Leupies, and on a rifle like yours, you need the balance of power and sleek that only Leupold brings. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want a scope to look AT buy a Leupy. If you want a scope to look THROUGH buy a Zeiss or Swaro..............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
If you want a scope to look AT buy a Leupy. If you want a scope to look THROUGH buy a Zeiss or Swaro..............................DJ
clap

Really, everyone has their own objectives, but do most of us buy rifles to look at and to walk down a runway with or do we buy them to use and shoot? If the latter, then a good rifle deserves a better scope.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:

thumb jumping

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fun stuff guys, Savage, those are some nice rigs. I like the Conquests a lot....I am really thinking that keeping this rig to more moderate distance shooting, and running with the Diavari, at least for a while.

Big Guy, I will look at the Meopta's though, they sound interesting.

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
You won't be sorry Fish.

Even if that particular Meopta doesn't look like it will work out for that particular rig. I believe you're a discriminating guy. You will see the value in those scopes. I predict, you will end up thinking about one for a future or another rifle. I can be almost positive of that.

This picture was taken through my Meopta Tactic on 16x at a scene 120yds away. I literally simply set the rifle in bags and photographed the scene through the eyepiece end, FREEHAND with the camera. The only editing I did to the photo was black out what was surrounding the eyepiece view. This is the most successful I've ever been with this stunt. I believe the quality of the lenses in the Meopta, play no small part in that.

The slight "blue" aberration near the right of the top post is due to the following fact. I had made no effort to shield the distance between camera and eyepiece. I'm positive this is from recursive reflection between the camera lense and the eyepiece. Just looking through the scope nothing like that occurs. The slight darkening of the right side of the view is simply because taking the picture freehand I just couldn't get the alignment perfect.

If I had taken the time to set it up right. Fix the camera in a tripod, get the alignment perfect, the focal distance perfect, shroud the air distance and put the camera in macro mode. The photo would no doubt be more impressive. But since I didn't do all that and still got the photo I did. You get an idea why I'm so impressed with this scope.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There seems to be no visible central aiming point with that reticule!

Can you post a photo with another type of scope/reticule to compare it?

Neat photo by the way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very neat pic. I can see the 'crossing hairs' fine myself. I'll definitely check into a Meopta.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

FWIW, I recently bought a pair of Meopta 7x42 binox, and compared then to the 7x42 Swarovski SLC's I have, and gotta say there is VERY little difference between the two. After looking long and hard, the Swaro's are slightly better as far as color rendition goes.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, good comparative intel. I appreciate it. I've put the Diavari on there, but it actually came off of another rifle--a Sauer .243, so I may need a Meopta on there. I'm waiting to see what my friend Rod says on the ranging reticle he has in the Leupy on his 20 Vartarg, but I'm starting a 204 Ruger project that might get that scope.