New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bushnell vs swift scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm trying to decide between a bushnell Trophy 4x12 and a swift 4x12 only for my 300 mag. any help in deciding between these two ?

Posts: 34 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Swift myself, but you might want to check eye relief. Either might be tight on a .300.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Point !!!

Posts: 34 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't trust either and would not be a bit surprised to find out they didn't handle the recoil. Sure, they might hold a while but, they often go out when you need them the most(When the big one walks out Wink)

I can tell you from learned mistakes that a cheap scope is the worst investment a hunter can ever make.

It pays dearly to step it up a notch and spring for a Nikon BMs or a Leupold Rifleman when trying to save a buck. The only cheap scope I've ever dealt with that would handle any sort of recoil was a Simmons Aetec and even the Aetecs are priced nearly as much as the BMs.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Reloader - once had a Swift fail at the wrong time and lost a 28"+ Muley. Had a Bushnell Banner literally fall apart on me and another freind had the same thing happen to his Bushnell Trophy.

Not much more money to go up to Nikon BM, Burris FF2; VX1, Sightron S2, or even the new Pentax Gameseeker 4-12 for $130 from CameralandNY would be a better bet in my opinion. With that 300 you will beat up the cheap scopes. All of these are a lot better scope tha the bushnell for sure. If you can part with $400 the Conqust 3x9x40 is the most bang for the buck but a lot more than those I have listed.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swift has just changed hands and my last dealings with them were'nt very good. I would go with a Burris FF II at the absolute minimum. Lots of Lower end Leupies, Nikons, or 3200 Bushnels can be found for $200 or there abouts. Hope this helps.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've been told they will both melt at about the same temperature.dancing

I wouldn't use either. If you're dead set on using a cheap scope you need to drop the power down lower than 12X. Cheap scopes will really tell on themselves at high power. The eyeplacement is as criticle as looking though a soda straw and the image will be muddy at best. Stick with a 3X9 and you'll be better off.

If your budget is tight give the Pentax Gameseeker a look and you'll buy one. They run about $90-$100 and there is nothing in that price range that even remotely compares to it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've been using swift scopes for years without a problem ,i just bought a 3rd one ,a 4x12 x40 from binocular.com they have them on sale.

i would only buy the swift premier models.they all have speed focus on the back,another plus is swift has over the counter warranty,you can walk into a gunshop and trade them if you have a problem.

Posts: 181 | Location: virginia,usa | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know those Mountains in Colorado were fresh out of sporting goods stores when that Swift Premier of mine lost it's zero.

I'd put a Swift on a .22 but not on a rifle I depended on for Deer or Elk. In fact I'd try the Pentax Gameseeker or a Sightron S1 for under $150 before I'd buy another Swift.

For any type of big game a Burris FF2 3-9 would be a good option for about $170. The Nikon Buckmaster is probably the most affordable higher magnification scope after the Pentax.

My idea of a good warranty is one you very likely won't have to use.....not a series of replacements that are bound to happen at the wrong time.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ryder,

I used to be in sales and had a saying;
"The memory of poor quality lingers long after the joy of low price fades."
When I began collecting rifles and scoping them about (17 years ago) I started with the low end Simmons and Tascos. However, I traded up to higher end scopes as soon as I could. You will never go wrong investing in good glass.

I have a circuit of pawn shops and gun shops I go by at least once every two weeks. I made friends with the different employees and managers. You’d be amazed at what you can find. An example. A couple of years ago I went into an independent pawn shop. They had a butt ugly ruger 77 in 300 win mag. The stock was all dinged up and the barrel had been cut down to 22â€. However it had a Ziess Diavari 3x 9 scope mounted on it. I paid $500 for the whole rig and sold the rifle at a gun show minus the scope for $300. Consequently I ended up with a great scope for approx $200. ty
Rob your kids piggy bank or collect copper and beer cans and sell them if you have to. Some stores have a lay away with no interest.

Burris Fulfield or Signatgure, Bushnell Elite, Nikon Monarch, Leupold Vari X III or (VXIII)or
Zeiss are good examples and can be purchased used in the $150 to $300 range, and if you buy these scopes right you can typically get your money back should you need to sell them or decide to trade up. Thats hard to do with lower end scopes.

As I said before, you will never go wrong investing in good glass.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote