THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VX-II 6-18x40 vs. old Vari-X III ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dear All,

I'm looking for a mid-priced scope (my budget can't stand any more Frowner ), and was looking at the Leupold VX-II 6-18x40. The scope is intended for a Cooper in .22 PPC, so recoil should not be too much of an issue.

Do any of you have experience with this particular scope, and how does it stack up in terms of holding zero, optics, adjustments, focus, eye relief etc??

The new VX-IIs supposedly have all multi coated lens surfaces as well as click adjustments. How do the new VX-IIs stack up compared to the old Vari-X IIIs, which, as far as I'm concerned, are highly servicable scopes.

Comparisons of the VX-II 6-18x40 to Weaver Grand Slam 6.5-20, perhaps??

Thanks very much in advance.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the VXII 6-18 x 40 target model. I have been very pleased with it. It is as clear as the other scopes I have. I have used it to shoot at 500 and 600 yards. The adjustments seem to repeat well. I also took it P-dog hunting, and shot several hundred shells thru it, and it held zero. I have seen no reason to spend the extra money on a VXIII, or other high dollar scopes.

Buck,

Posts: 109 | Location: MS | Registered: 25 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a VX-II 6-18 with the LRV reticle and I am very pleased with it. I also have/have had several Vari-X scopes in the 4-12X.

If you strongly prefer the click adjustments, then you should get the VX. I find the click versus friction adjustments irrelavent, as I believe it to be foolishness to attempt field adjustments and much prefer holdover for longer targets (why else have an LVR, mildot, or B & C type reticle?).

As to the lens coatings, this is mostly advertising hype. You'll find no visible difference (what other kind of difference matters?) in the sight picture of the Vari-X II and the VX-II (nor the VX-III, for that matter).

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Real life experience is much appreciated! I guess the VX-II is worth a try...

- mike

P.S. Sorry for the tardy reply, I have been on a very slow Internet connection the last couple of days. So slow, it would make the reply mechanism time out. We shall see if it works this time...

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote