New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nikko Optics and Howa Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anybody tried these Nikko-Sterling Scopes? I have been investigating a Howa Rifle chambered in 25-06 for Antelope and Deer and they have package rifles with a 3-9x40 Nikko scope.

Are they worth a damn or are they junk? Because as with some packages you are better off buying gun and scope separate.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have witnessed first hand two reticles break on nikko sterling scopes due to the recoil of a 338win mag.I would not trust one.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which Nikko. The models vary a lot in quality, both optical and build (and country of origin)and are priced and warranted accordingly. I have several Diamond models which I like and which have stood up well on a 375 H&H.

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
ozzie is right,
the cheepies are only good for light stuff but i have a platnum night eater 3x10x42 and its great. but you get what you pay for, here in oz the leupold is about twice the price ..... and about twice the quality ......
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Howa 1500 Lightning package with the Nikko Sterling 3x9 scope and it worked okay for sighting in. It came with Leupold Rifleman mounts, which work fine. The Nikko-Sterling scope seemed to be not as bright as the Burris Fullfield II I have on my other rifle, so I ordered another one of those and replaced the Nikko Sterling. If I were to do it over today, I would opt for one of their Howa/Leupold packages which come with with a 3-9X VX-1. More $, but probably worth it, and still a very good bargain. (Especially if I was going for a hard kicker. My Howa in 6.5x55 probably could have lived with the Nikko-Sterling scope for awhile, but I am glad I replaced it with the Burris. It wasn't shooting too well, and I wanted to eliminate questionable variables, so the scope had to go.)

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote