Find
Notify
Tools

Lens Colors For "Hunting" Glasses?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of geese
posted
If this has been covered recently, please point me in the right direction. If it hasn't, here's my question.

Are there any colored lenses for glasses that work well for hunting?

I'm leaning heavily towards clear, thinking that blocking out any colors while hunting could cause me not to be able to see something I should, but I also know that you guys have a lot of knowledge.

One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
Whether hunting or not, I wear orange Zeiss glasses with a 125 prescription on the bottom. The orange tint makes it much easier to pick out game in Africa and make the winters in New England less depressing.

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of geese
posted Hide Post
Thanks, do you think an orange variant would work as well? Say bronze?

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I use the yellow lenses. This color allows me to see greater contrast in the woods.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yellow or orange is the color complement to blue, and it's the "atmospheric blue" that accounts for the "haze" in a distant view.

Use the complementary color lens (which is orange) or an "analogous" color -- a color close to the complement, which would be red or yellow.

These comp. colors filter out the blue. The extent to which they filter the blue depends upon the saturation of the lens color (how "dark" the color) and whether the lens is a complement or an analog color.

Ages ago I opted (pun intended) for polarized lenses. Polarized lenses cut reflected glare. I bought them mostly for fly-fishing so I could spot fish under the surface glare on the water.

But I've discovered that outside polarized lenses are the only way to fly (another pun).

-- This all comes out of my work as a commerical photog with a background in color theory/light.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Decot Hy-Wyd glasses with V-Lite (rose) colored lens for daytime and a yellow lens for low light hunting. This is their website. Lots of info there.

http://www.sportglasses.com/

Posts: 106 | Location: Florida | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gray lenses are the only ones that will give you the true colors of the outdoors. granted they donot enhance like all the rest.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.customsightpicture.com/

If you wear prescription glasses I'd suggest you check out the above link and contact Dr. Toler. He first fixed me up w/ a good set of lenses when I was shooting National Competition over a decade ago. I've used them professionally behind an M40 and I now use them when shooting and hunting for recreation. I currently use Randolph Rangers w/ three lenses that best suit most situations I may be in. From the brightest light in snow to low light in a wooded background.

GVA

one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
Amber/orange Zeiss. thumb thumb thumb

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the NYX system because you get a variety of lenses that you can change out depending on the light/clouds/fishing/hunting/golf you are looking at. You can get them on NYX's website:

NYX Sport

or on EAR Inc.'s site:

Ear Inc.

They are very durable and easy to use.

Good luck!

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote