Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon Monarch
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of joedjr
posted
I just bought a nice 270 Winchester Model 70 in 270 win and it has a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 on it. All of my other rifles have Leupold VXlll on them. I was thinking about replacing the Nikon with a VXlll.

Do you think the Nikon is a good scope and I shouldn't waste my money or should I replace it?

Posts: 310 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Put a golden-ringed scope on it and send me the Nikon... Big Grin

In all seriousness, the Monarch optics are exceptional and what I consider to be the best value in any sub-$1000 scope.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep the Monarch on it!

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joedjr:
I just bought a nice 270 Winchester Model 70 in 270 win and it has a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 on it. All of my other rifles have Leupold VXlll on them. I was thinking about replacing the Nikon with a VXlll.

Do you think the Nikon is a good scope and I shouldn't waste my money or should I replace it?

Since you have the VXIII's you should have seen an improved sight picture when you looked through the Monarch.

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both have very good glass quality and it is difficult at best "for me" to tell any real differences between them. Everyones eyes are a bit different as well so what is great for one person may not be for another. Its best to compare them side by side if possible. Thats what I do and thanks to Cabelas for the ability to do so, as they have nearly every brand there for the testing.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of joedjr
posted Hide Post
Went to the range today, the gun shot great and the scope wasn't that bad.

Posts: 310 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joedjr:
Went to the range today, the gun shot great and the scope wasn't that bad.

It's OK to say it...'The Nikon was as good, if not better than my VX-III for hundreds less.'
Good choice.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
thinkingman wrote:
quote:
It's OK to say it...'The Nikon was as good, if not better than my VX-III for hundreds less.'

thumb thumb thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep the Nikon on the rig.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote