Find
Notify
Tools

Vidieo Camera for 200 yard action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted
What would be a good choice for a entry level video camera for videoing my hunts? My pig hunts are usually 50 to 200 yards.

I do not want to spend a lot of money on a camera, but would like to have one that was not to grainy when distances get out there?

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with Panasonic camcorders. What you want is one with the highest optical zoom that you can find. I think Panasonic makes some with 32X optical zoom. Best Buy runs them on sale 1-2 times a month.Here's a link Panasonic 32X

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The current crop of digital video cameras are amazingly good. As bowhunterrl says, look for a high OPTICAL magnification. Be sure to check not just the range ("20X or 32X), but the actual magnification at the high end. For videoing at long range, the image stabilization feature is very desirable.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Sony mini-tape cameras. I bought one for an up coming trip and it was $265 at Best Buy. By the time I bought the four year service plan (a good deal if you drag one where I do) and some tapes and extra batteries it was a bit over $500. However, my other Sony's have given excellent service, a good picture and good sound. This unit has Zeiss lens and sure makes a nice picture. Kudude

PS: Over about 10x, you need a very stead hold or a tripod on any camera. K-d

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
Thanks you all for the replies. I plan on placing any camera on a tripod, I generally hunt alone and to be honest My hands are not that steady any more.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote