Find
Notify
Tools

30mm or 1"?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted
I've been once again obsessing about Glass and comparing the 30mm scopes in my safe to the 1" scopes I have. Personally, I find 30mm scopes are "easier" to use: more forgiving eye box, etc. On the other hand I also find that the 30mm scopes are heavier - weight that can make a difference.

Yes, there's some tongue in cheek here. But I am interested in knowing: what's your preference? 30mm or 1" and why?

Question:
Given your hunting style and game animals, what is your preferrence for Scope body diameter? (below, in text, please elaborate why if not covered?)

Choices:
1" Scope bodies: They're lighter!
1" Scope bodies: We're in America! It's all about the SAE...
1" Scope bodies: You mean there's a difference?
1" Scope bodies: It's all about the aesthetics
30mm Scope Bodies: They're brighter!
30mm Scope Bodies: Obviously European Glass is better
30mm Scope Bodies: Because I love Ill. Scopes...
30mm Scope Bodies: More forgiving eye box
All your answers suck - 7/8" is where it's at on Grandpaw's Pre-64!
Dude, you are so 1900's...It's all about the 34mm body now!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is certainly possible that your 30 mm scopes have a "more forgiving eye box", but that has nothing to do with the tube being larger than the 25.4mm tubes. It can have something to do with a larger ocular lens, less eye relief, or a narrower field of view.

The ONLY thing that a 30mm scope can provide over a 25.4mm is greater latitude in reticle adjustments. And even then, some scope manufacturers don't take advantage of this feature.

If a 30mm tube is of the same wall thickness as a 1" tube then it will be stronger (and heavier, obviously). If a 30mm tube is made to be as light as a 1" tube, then its thinner wall thickness will make it more easily bent or crushed than a 1" tube.

My views don't particularly correspond to any one of your answer choices, but it is too bad that no one makes a quality 7/8" tube like the Lyman Alaskan. Such a tube can give you everything you need in some hunting applications and they are light and neat on a smaller rifle. Just look at what the market says about a used Leupold Alaskan when one comes up on ebay or some similar auction site.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
30mm preferred, and forget the rings, give me a rail Cool

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I am also unable to get excited about any of the choices in the poll. Liking the old European scopes, I would tend towards 30mm simply because that's what the new ones mostly have.

However, I am cynical about the reason they use the fat tube, believing it is more to do with accommodating the modern erector tube than anything else - and I prefer the old scopes that didn't have them.

On the other hand, our new Kahles 1.1-4 has a 30mm tube but no objective bell, so that at least allows the front lens to be 24mm rather than the old 21. It also allows the ocular housing to be bigger without looking stupid, and this gives a bigger field of view to compensate for the erector tube stealing several feet.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
could care less. both are OK,

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Right, about the questions: yes, they are a bit tongue in cheek. Not everything needs to be serious.

But the simple question remains: do you prefer (*or use) 1" or 30mm?

I looked in my safe and realized (actually quite surprised really) that I had 7 30mm and 2 1" scopes. I never really expected that…but what was more surprising was the "why".

The 30mm scopes reside on rifles wehre I want a more flexible platform. My 7mm SAUM hunting rifle wears a 30mm…and the rifle is incredibly forgiving.

On the other hand I use a 1" scope on my Merkel K1 so I can save 6 oz. The Merkel tips in at 6#, 8oz. It's just lovely to carry…

And so it is…everyone seems to have a reason for the scopes they have. Light weight…forgiving…false expectations (seriously, 30mm scopes using 1" guts…I know).

But in the end, do you prefer a 30mm vs. 1"…and why?

Regards,

Robert

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
This year I bought 4 ( FOUR! ) illuminated scopes.

If I can´t control this soon, I need medical help ;-)

The Leupi VX - R 2 - 7 x 33 is a very underrated scope IMO. THE scope for a scout type rifle!

For hunting.

For tactical use nothing beats a 1 - 6 x 24. Forget 1 - 8 x, that´s just a marketing gimmick, I examined the S & B variant, and its not easy to find the exit pupil at 8 x ...

Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 339 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For tactical use nothing beats a 1 - 6 x 24.

Thanks for that advice. I'll remember it the next time I take military action against the retired couple in the house next door. The last time I invaded their property I was ill-advised and used a large 12X fixed power. Despite how slow-moving the old codgers are it was difficult getting them in the sight picture. As it was, things turned out okay, but it might have been a different story if I had chosen to take on the motorcycle gang in the house across the street.

Like everyone else here, I can always use good tactical advice.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck
who says stonecreek ain't got no sense of humor

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob, you omitted your own reason..."30mm, because they make me look like I know what I'm doing, and I can use all the help I can get". ::-)

Posts: 20162 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Rob, you omitted your own reason..."30mm, because they make me look like I know what I'm doing, and I can use all the help I can get". ::-)

LOL! tu2

Regards,

Robert

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not hung up on tube size (mine's bigger anyway .....) as when a new Boomer is in the Works I concept the type/brand/size of scope, function being the main criteria and then see what available. Sometimes it's a 30mm; sometimes 1"; just depends.

Like Dom mentioned; if I purchase a Euro glass and I can obtain it with a rail; that's my choice, too.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Gerry, how do you go sourcing mounts to work with the rails? Would it be easy easy to find some that would work with, say, Anschutz or CZ .22 rifles? Also, I'm looking for something for my old Greek MS; finding an affordable connection (for rail or rings, or a base for claw mounts) would dictate what scope I put on it.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote