New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winged eyecups....Yes or No????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a pair of Swarovski 10x42SLC with winged eyecups, my second good pair of bino's.
After using the W-cup's for the first time, I don't know how I lived without them all this time! The image seems clearer and brighter, and I seem to be able to focus more on what I am looking at without any blurry side images.
Is it me, or does it seem that most people do not use them?
Am I missing something?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
In general I like them, but I don't wear glasses or I might think otherwise.

Now this is going to make me look weird, but I don't like them when I'm turkey hunting. You have to move the binoculars more, so the wings will clear your nose. You can't just slide them in from the side. I scared a turkey away once when I was lowering my binoculars and I'd prefer not to repeat that.

So I guess I like them out in the open when it is bright or windy, but am neutral about them in the woods.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
You will find winged eyecups in many astronomical eyepieces where any stray light is disturbing.. You don't have to move around very much when you are stargazing however... In bino's you will be moving around quite a bit... I prefer not to use them in the field...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like them fine in warmer weather, but the heat from my eyes causes my binos to fog with winged eye cups in the winter as they trap the heat more so than the regular eye cups....

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote