Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Optilock
 Login/Join

posted
I'm in need of a blue optilock base and ring set. Who has got some reasonable pricing on it?

Posts: 53 | Location: Mass. USA | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vgmhunor:
I'm in need of a blue optilock base and ring set. Who has got some reasonable pricing on it?

Might help if you specify whether you want 1", 30mm or 34" rings and how high you want them..

Also, whether the base is for a Sako or Tika...

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out www.accuflite.com

They are in PA and usually carry a lot of Sako related accessories. I have purchased Optilock rings for my Sako from them in the past.

RCG

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I have got a set of gloss blue Optilock bases that I would sell. PM me if you are interested.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It would be for a Sako. One inch, low, blue matte for 30-06 action.

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vgmhunor:
It would be for a Sako. One inch, low, blue matte for 30-06 action.

I don't believe they make matte bases or rings.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's your gun and your privelege to use what you wish on it, but why do you want to use Sako Optilocks? They are very expensive, very heavy, and even in the "low" height, are taller than is desirable for many scopes of ordinary dimensions. There are at least a half-dozen mounts from other manufacturers that are less expensive and more satisfactory for most applications.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Since you brought it up, what system provides the lowest scope mounting? I have an L61R 300 Weatherby on a McMillan hunter stock and need to get a good cheek weld to stop being slapped in the face. I have Talley adapters now but before I buy low Talley rings, is there something lower? Thanks in advance.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
It's your gun and your privelege to use what you wish on it, but why do you want to use Sako Optilocks? They are very expensive, very heavy, and even in the "low" height, are taller than is desirable for many scopes of ordinary dimensions. There are at least a half-dozen mounts from other manufacturers that are less expensive and more satisfactory for most applications.

How about because the Optilocks are the best mounting system available for Sako Dovetails?

-You might try calling H&H Gun Range in Oklahoma City, OK. They bought all the inventory from Outdoor Outfitters who had a number of sets of Sako rings and bases. They might have what you need at a decent deal.
I've also seen them at Bass Pro Shops! An individual store might have them at a decent price.

Accuflite would most likely have them but I've never gotten anything but full retail price from them even with a FFL on file......................................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
Since you brought it up, what system provides the lowest scope mounting?

The Leupold rings are very low. You'd have to ask around if people have mounted calibers as vigorous as the .300 Wby with these rings. I have mine on a .280 AI, and they have worked fine

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a set of optilocks on my tikka 695-300Win. It is rock solid, yet it doesn't mar the scope. They are precisely made for sako/tikka, thus you have to use very little of the scope's internal adjutments.
Weight and height is not an issue, since the rifle is already heavy (AV) and the scope is a 50mm Conquest with lens caps.
I did find them in tjgeneralstore for $144.
Is that a good price, or an average market value?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
Since you brought it up, what system provides the lowest scope mounting?

The Leupold rings are very low. You'd have to ask around if people have mounted calibers as vigorous as the .300 Wby with these rings. I have mine on a .280 AI, and they have worked fine

- mike

Yes, Mike is correct, the Leupold is among the lowest available. The "low" barely clears a 33mm objective on most Sako sporters. I have to use the Leupold "medium" to clear a 40mm objective. As to the serviceability of the Leupold mount, well I have about a half-dozen of them on various Sako rifles. It may not be much of a test, but the ones on the .375 H&H have been in use for about 15 years and seem to have survived numerous trips hunting in Texas, New Mexico, and Alberta. The ones on the .338 and .300 Win Mag have been in use for some shorter number of years. Of course, I'm expecting to open the door to the gun safe one morning and find them all in a pile on the floor Roll Eyes. The only complaints I've heard about them are (1) from "experts" who have never used them, and (2) from neophytes whose scopes were mounted by 19 year-old department store clerk-geniuses.

The original Sako ringmount (circa 1950's to 1980's) also comes in a very low model. You can often find them on ebay or other internet locations. The only drawback to that particular ringset is if you are using a variable with a long eye piece and wide power ring, it may be difficult to place the scope far enough forward to provide the proper eye relief. The fix for this is to grind the little recoil lug off of the rear base to allow it to position further forward. The mounts won't move (if properly torqued down) even without this "belt and suspenders" recoil lug.

Another fairly low mounting system is to use the Redfield dovetail base with Leupold extra-low rings. This will put the objective of a 40mm scope down within a hair's width of the barrel. This system is tried and true (my oldest of this type is only 44 years old this year, so it looks like it may eventually pass the longevity test). By the way, when using this system remove the nasty little set screws on the bases and throw them away. When installing the bases they should be tapped firmly into place with a mallet and wooden block or something similar. Due to the clever taper of the Sako dovetail, they'll only come off when you quite purposefully (and with determination!) reverse the operation.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only complaints I've heard about them are (1) from "experts" who have never used them, and (2) from neophytes whose scopes were mounted by 19 year-old department store clerk-geniuses.

I've tried several sets of the Leupold rings. The only rifle I left them on are a 223. They slipped and wouldn't hold zero on my 300 Weatherby and 375 H&H. I attatched them myself using a certified Seekonk torque wrench following the printed instructions. I don't really consider myself a neophyte installing Sako rings:

The Optilocks are a little high, not lightwieght, and they aren't cheap. But they are rock solid, they don't scratch scopes, they give some windage adjustment, they can be removed and returned to zero, don't slip in recoil and perfectly match the rifles finish. None of these good things can be said about Leupold Sako rings.

Fish3014 is a Sako lover like me and I value his opinion. He prefer Talley's on his Sako's. I use Talleys on most everything else but still prefer Optilocks on Sako's. You might like the Talley's as well.

I've also read good reports on the Conetrol system. They are capable of very low mounting. If I had low mounting as the primary concern I'd probably try these.

But Leupold Sako rings failed on me twice - I won't let that happen to me again......................................DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJ, I guess I have to stop drinking! When I look at those photos, I see (at least) double... Wink

Nice collection!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJ: The size and weight of the Optilocks is a good match for the scopes you're using. I must admit that when mounting an aluminum baseball bat with lenses in each end, the Optilock is the mount of choice Smiler.

Our tastes in scopes run differntly; "normal" scopes of less than a pound in weight and 40mm or less objective diameter are held securely and dependably by the Leupold ringmount. The heavier and higher the scope, the more stress it places on the mounts; thus I will cede your point when using heavy and high-mounted scopes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
DJ: The size and weight of the Optilocks is a good match for the scopes you're using. I must admit that when mounting an aluminum baseball bat with lenses in each end, the Optilock is the mount of choice Smiler.

Our tastes in scopes run differntly; "normal" scopes of less than a pound in weight and 40mm or less objective diameter are held securely and dependably by the Leupold ringmount. The heavier and higher the scope, the more stress it places on the mounts; thus I will cede your point when using heavy and high-mounted scopes.

Maybe the scope covers make them look larger. The 3-10x42 on the 270 Finnlite is one of the lighter 3-10x42's made. The 4-12x50 swaro is actually LIGHTER than several different 2.5-10x42mm scopes such as the Bushnell Elite 4200, the 3-12x50 30mm tube scope is Less than an ounce heavier. These scopes are not at all heavy even comparing them to a number of smaller objective lensed scopes with smaller tubes. So the scopes that I have mounted on some of these might actually be LIGHTER than the ones you have on yours.

Maybe the Swaro scopes finish is slicker. But regardless the Optilocks hold them perfectly without scratching the tubes like the Leupold rings can besides all the other benefits of Optilocks.

Now the Nightforce scopes, yea they are heavy.

And the 4-16x50 Swaro isn't a real lightweight either, BUT:

It was a whole lot HARDER carrying the elk DOWNHILL than it was carrying the Swaro 4-16x50 UPHILL Smiler ............................DJ

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. I found the old Redfield adapters that were on this pawn shop find when I got the gun 8 years ago. Those and a pair of ultra low 30MM Leupold rings did the trick.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote