Find
Notify
Tools

I NEED help on choosing a scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted
I have a 7mm RUM that I want to put a new scope on. I have spent weeks reserching scopes fromm nikon to sowarski. I like the zero stop on the sowarski the cds on the nikon and the trijicon system. There in lies my problem I'm on data overload. I would like to be able to shoot deer out to 400yrds and ring gongs out to 650. If possible I want to stay under $1500. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appericated.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Since you want to shoot in the 400 to 650 yard range, I think you would find a reticle with more gradations than simple crosshairs useful. I personally like mil dots or even better, Leupold's TMR reticle.

I have multiple Leupold Mark 4 scopes, a Swarovski and a couple of Nightforce scopes and the ones I like best are the Leupolds and I stayed well under $1,500 for all of the Leupolds.

Leupold scopes have a lifetime warranty (except on illuminated reticles) that is good even if you bought the scope used so I've bought most of mine used. I think the Swarvoski warranty is 10 years. Nightforce has a lifetime warranty to the original owner for sure but I don't remember if it's good for subsequent owners.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I 2nd the Leupolds. I have 5 of the 4.5x14x50 scopes with the illuminated reticle on my longer-range hunting rifles. Best bang for the buck.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll vote for the Nightforce 2.5-10 NXS Compact w/ ZeroStop. I have this on several hunters and also use it on a 20" tactical 308 out to 1000 yds.

10 MOA per revolution on elevation and 5 MOA hashmarks on windage make it easy to dial up elevation and hold off windage for those cross-canyon shots. It's compact, includes a variable-power illuminated reticle, has good eye relief and great glass.

Dave Manson

Posts: 697 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy one of the Zeiss Conquests in the classifeds offered by Gr8ful Doug of Camera Land. Get one with a range finder reticle and Zeiss will give you a hundred dollar rebate. You will be all in for about half your budgeted amount. You can even get target turrets if you wish. Good scopes that are perfect for your application.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I appericate the help. I cannot believe so many views and so few suggestions.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
My brother uses a lowly 6x M8 leupold with a target turret on his Tikka 30 06...I know, no real fancy setup at all but he, myself and our cousin were whacking the gong with aplomb at 500 yards a few weeks ago.

With the 7 Rum I'd second Biebs on the 4.5 x 14 Leupold, you can get any turret you like and its got enough on the top end for when 650 seems short!

Good luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend you take a strong look at the VX6 from Leupold. Glass is every bit as good as the Swaro A (z3), and superior to any Conquest. The duplex reticle is just the right size also. My 7mag wears one, and ringing gongs, busting rocks, etc is almost like cheating out to 900 yards and every distance in between when the wind cooperates. It's the most user friendly variable I've every used, period. Fantastic eyebox even at 12, and very forgiving.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdvjrp93:
I appericate the help. I cannot believe so many views and so few suggestions.

Thats because everyone has different opinions. Personally I feel Biebs is right on the money with the Leupold 4.5x14. If you are shooting from field positions doubt you can utilize any more power than 14X. That much is really hard to hold steady.
They all fail and they all last forever. Ask my friend who was in some soviet country hunting sheep when his new Nightforce failed.

You simply can not beat Leupolds customer service and turn around times day in day out.

If you like Zeiss, check Cabelas as they have them on sale right now. Picked up a 3x9 Conquest earlier this week for $279 shipped.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold 4.5X14 or if you want to spend more a Nightforce. I have 2 Nightforce NXS 5.5X22X56 on my 50bmg rifles and they are hard(or impossible) to beat.
Get the Leupold and you will be happy.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at the night force 3-15. It has a illlumnation, hash marke for hold over. a life long warranty and is made in the US. I will be lucky if I can get on a range beyond 600 yards. So I think the 15X will be more than enough. It is only a few hundred over my budget. This scope on the 7mm RUM should be a good combo. I appericate any and all input on this set up.

1 shot 1 thrill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread. Many responders voted for 4.5x14 scopes which would have adjustable paralax knob. my question is how do you line up steady on an animal while adjusting the paralax on the left hand knob?

Posts: 46 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
In my experience, you don't. I practised for weeks turning that knob, checking distances with the rangefinder and calculating angles/bullet-drop considerations etc but, when the tahr turned up, maybe 300 yards away and steeply uphill, I just shot it without thinking of any of those considerations.

That's why I am now turned off scopes with massive magnifications that need parallax knobs. Keep it simple, for hunting at least.

Posts: 5119 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Sambarman338. Thats kinda what I'm thinking. Last spring i tried a Zeiss Conquest w/ adj. parallax and could never get used to it.I recently got a new rifle for sheep hunting, Tikka T3 lite in .270 Winchester. went back on forth on what scope. I bought a Swaro 3x9x36. so i am going to try that at the range hopefully today. Regards, Paul

Posts: 46 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Alright here goes if you had to choose between the new vortex PST 4-16 FFP with EBR MOA ret and a leupold 4.5-14 ILBDC ret which would you choose. These have made my final cut. I have never own either of the brands. I have alwasy heard about the toughness of leupold and a lot of shooters raze about the vortex. One of these is going to end up on my 7mm RUM. All opinions or words of knowledge are welcome.

1 shot 1 thrill

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I want to thank everyone who gave me input. I have been looking to do this upgrade for a while. I have decided to go with the Vortex Viper PST FFP. It semm to have everything I want and more after reserching it here I have found nothing but praise for Vortex. It is made in the US by a Family own business. That means a lot to me also. Thanks again.

1 shot 1 thrill