Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leica "Disappointment"
 Login/Join

posted
I just wanted to relay the poor experience I have had dealing with Leica Camera Inc. the last 6 months or so. I had an LRF 1200 scan model that was in like new condition but somehow moisture condensed inside the unit while on a sheep hunt. By the way, the warranty on these units is 2 years and they are NOT waterproof, which I later found out (MY BAD). My unit was two and a half years old with a receipt. They would not fix any part of the unit. My best offer was $275.00 for another LRF 1200 unit. The dealings with them started 6 months ago and all they would do was play pass the buck to the next guy in charge till finally there was no response from the next guy in line and I had to settle with their crappy offer or nothing.
I will now quit my complaining, I just wanted others to know about the poor customer service I had received.
FYI – All of the LRF and CRF units only carry a 2 year warranty. The Geovids only carry a 5 year warranty. I think this is pretty mediocre for this caliber and supposed quality of unit. Just my opinion.
I know that after this I will no longer be buying any Leica products and will be selling all of mine and my guides Leica products on E-Bay and we will all be switching to Swarovski.
An experience such as this really makes you appreciate some of the more positive dealings with companies like Leupold and Cabelas, just to name a few.
Best of luck to all this coming season. – Panhandle-

one of us
posted Hide Post
Panhandle, that's good intel, and I'm sorry to hear it... I have several Leica products, and in particular really like their rangefinding Binoculars that I have. I also have a 1200 LRF scan rangefinder, and fortunately for me it's worked well, but has been relegated to my range bag as the BRF bino's are all I take afield anymore.

I agree with your assessment that this is poor warranty length and crap/non-existant customer service from them, and will impact my thoughts on buying from them again---I bought my first products from them just cause some folks I know had them and they worked really well.

Sorry for your headaches--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had that same kind of luck with a pair of binos from them. the barrels all of a sudden were looking in 2 different directions. they were about 8 years old (lifetime?) and was told that it wouldn't be covered under warranty and to send $250 with them to get them repaired. been buying swaro's ever since without problems

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
Most rangefinders have a very "limited warranty" in all fairness but the horror stories of Leicas service abound. If their binoculars weren't as well built as they were it would be more then a nightmare dealing with them.

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your disappointment.

Try a Swaro next time: I hope You never will need any service, but if You have to: Their service is brilliant: My scope was back repaired after 3 working days including shippint to them and back !!! And since that time, it works 1A...

Klaus

www.titanium-gunworks.de

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, did you at first, or at all during this situation, contact the dealer that you originally purchased the unit from to see if they could assist you with the problem?
Being that they were out of the 2 year warranty period (BTW, 2 years is pretty standard in the industry for warranties on optics with electronics) perhaps getting the dealer involved might have been to your advantage since it was out of warranty. An out of warranty item, no matter what it is.... an optic, a dishwasher or a car, is no longer covered. The fact that they offered to replace the unit at a discounted price does show willingness to work with the consumer and offer extended service. I understand your frustration and in the future whether you purchase thru us or not, please feel free to call on us for assistance (but not with the dishwasher or car Smiler )

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3697 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I am missing something. How did they break their warranty contract with you? It sounds like a pretty reasonable deal. Sometimes I think we are spoiled to have companies like RCBS, Hornady, Leupold, Burris, almost all of the gun producers, etc. with absolutely wonderful service. The shooting sport companies generally have excellet service, but the service you got is pretty standard if not generous compared to most types of companies. Let your wallet do the voting if your not happy with their service policy. Sorry your unit failed in any case. Always sucks to have nice equipment fail.

Wes

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I agree a $600 instrument designed for seasonal outdoor use should last more than 6 or so months of field use.

That said, $275 credit toward a new unit is almost 50% trade in value for a worthless unit.

I would have taken them up on the offer and sold the the new one to help cut my loss.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
had the same experience, but dealer (gander mountain) replaced binos even though I had no rceipt
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i had that same kind of luck with a pair of binos from them. the barrels all of a sudden were looking in 2 different directions. they were about 8 years old (lifetime?) and was told that it wouldn't be covered under warranty and to send $250 with them to get them repaired. been buying swaro's ever since without problems

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
$275 off suggested retail is NOT "an attempt to work with the consumer". As a matter of fact, it's pretty close to insulting...... trying to sell a unit above the street price. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch,

Go back and re-read the post. They offered him a new rangefinder for $275.00, not "$275.00 off suggested retail".

The way I see it is this....His unit was out of warranty, so Leica basically owed him nothing, yet they're offering a brand spanking new rangefinder for about half price. Looks to me like Leica is going above and beyond what they needed to do, so IMHO, the original poster should be cutting a check rather than pitching a bitch..

My guess is if he buys a Leupold rangefinder, he'll either be returning it to the store for a refund within a short while or will be crying about it here, one of the two, because they don't hold a candle to Leica and the warranty on Leupold's electronics is limited to two years also...

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Fair enough. A rangefinder at cost is working with the customer..... JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Is it just me, or does this seem like good customer service in the face of unrealistic customer expectations?

I don't get it. Try to get your car fixed for nothing when its warranty expires.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13635 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Is it just me, or does this seem like good customer service in the face of unrealistic customer expectations?

I don't get it. Try to get your car fixed for nothing when its warranty expires.

They are definately working with him.....A product thats warrenty has expired and they are willing to sell him a brand new one for a 50% discount,I wish I could get an auto dealer to do that............. clap

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a pair of LRF 800's, purchased in 2000. In early 2004 they just stopped working. I sent them back to Leica asking that they repair them and bill me accordingly; Leica sent me a new pair at no charge... This was without any warranty directly with Leica, only a proof of purchase from Cabelas.... I also own a pair of Trinovid 10x42's....

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote