Find
Notify
Tools

Schmidt & Bender rail scope question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
I recently bought a Schmidt & Bender 4-12x42 rail scope and was hoping someone on AR was familiar with the mounting system and where a guy might get mounts. It's not like my Swaro rail scopes or other Zeiss or S&B rails I have seen. Probably since it is an older scope, it is marked West Germany so must have been made before about 1990. it has the S&B number 2 reticle (a tapered post along with a fine horizontal crosshair).

Biebs and I were hoping his Zeiss mounts would work with the S&B convex inserts but now having seen the rails I see those won't work. I've also looked through my Recknagel catalog. Any advice would be appreciated.

By the way, this scope is probably going to show up in the AR classifieds soon.

Thanks!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

these rails are standard rails for all older german scopes Recknagel and (Ernst Appel) EAW got the mounts.

Cheers

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by freischuetz:
these rails are standard rails for all older german scopes Recknagel and (Ernst Appel) EAW got the mounts.

Cheers

Yes that is the "old standard" prism rail. Very possible EAW and Recknagel have the mounts - they would in Europe.

When you (or whoever mounts the scope for you) drill the rails, be careful not to drill through the rail and into the scope tube. Causes the inert gas inside to escape, and with it your protection against internal fogging.

The old rails are not as easy to mount as the new ("internal rail") ones, and if you want to move the scope to another rifle, you'll have to live with the old holes in the rail. Other than that, even the old rail is a good mounting platform.

The scope you have was originally intended to be mounted on a rifle where the front mount is positioned on the barrel of the rifle - e.g. a breaktop rifle or a Mauser 66. A claw mount is another option. These scopes are hardly manufactured any longer - if at all. One option is that you see if anybody might be looking for such a scope with the rail under the objective bell. Maybe you can get a decent price for it.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The scope you have was originally intended to be mounted on a rifle where the front mount is positioned on the barrel of the rifle - e.g. a breaktop rifle or a Mauser 66. A claw mount is another option.

Mike is spot-on. This scope made for Pivot or Claw Mounts and barrel mounting.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
As mentioned earlier it is the classic prism rail. You must fit the mount a bit for it, drill and tap it then, but it should not be a big task to gat a mount here in Europe / Germany - if You tell me which gun it should be, I could send You some if available... Just drop me an email...

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,
EAW makes the adapters for a Weaver/1913 rail. Since the objective is different than the tube, you would need to know the height needed for each adapter.

http://www.eaw.de/eaw/webkatalog/20a_AM_Wvr.pdf

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote