New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby Imperal Scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just purchased a .224 Weatherby with Weatherby Imperal 6x62 Scope. It is one of the older scopes with the focus and the ajustment turrets on the top of the scope. The scope seems fine, however I have never seen one of these before and have no idea how move the settings for heighth and right and left nor do I know how to adjust the focus. I can not move any of the adjustments controls. Can anyone out there tell me what has to be done to move the adjustment devices?

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ehg5640:
Just purchased a .224 Weatherby with Weatherby Imperal 6x62 Scope. It is one of the older scopes with the focus and the ajustment turrets on the top of the scope. The scope seems fine, however I have never seen one of these before and have no idea how move the settings for heighth and right and left nor do I know how to adjust the focus. I can not move any of the adjustments controls. Can anyone out there tell me what has to be done to move the adjustment devices?

I have some Imperials, including a 6X. On mine the front turrent has two rings one for elev. and one ring for L&R. The inner ring you turn with a coin or'driver., the outer one with your fingers. If they are "froze", then I think it's off to the repair shop.
Rear turrent is the focus and mine are marked the same as binos, + or - from 0. Good Luck! I have noa complaints with them, except the recticle is not constant centered.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AfricanHunter:

Thanks for your responce. I am afraid that both turrets are froze. I had never seen any scope like this and thought there might be some type of a "set screw" or something. Will see if I can find someone to look at it.

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ehg,

I'd really like to see some photos of the scope; if possible. I don't know who made them but I'm begining to think I may be able to offer some assistance.

Do a search on this Optics Chapter for this thread & take a gander:

Hensoldt 4x Diatal

If what I'm thinking is corrrect, then:

The scope is "frozen" to a degree - if you remove the 3 or 4 small screws holding the inner metal/plastic turret cover you'll find the grease underneath it has solidified over the years making moving the adjsutment turrets; well, impossible. The grease is now pretty much the consistancy of solidified "Tar" and applying too much pressure will only damage the innards. The only way I have made any headway when the scope is in this condition is to wrap a small piece of rubber innertube (or similar) around the turret and using a small set of needle nose pliers to grip it. I start holding them vertically and them move to horizontal (if you can get a purchase). IF without too much pressure applied the turret moves; great. If it won't turn with just a small amount of pressure don't attempt MORE - in this case that's bad. I have attempted to goop grease outa scopes like this with little success; even scraping it out minute gobs & bits at time with a minature screwdriver or toothpick will not afford getting down far enough into the turret to relieve the pressure.

The indicator with the "0", "+" & "-" is not the focus; it is an indicator to tell the gunsmith who mounted the scope how much vertical (not windage) recticle adjsutment remains. These non-centered recticles only had about 20" total (50cm) adjsutment; usualy 10" Up & 10" Down from center (middle). When at the limits it is easy to see the recticle is no longer "centered".

Windage adjustment is not available and was made with the scope mounts.

Anyway, if what I've mentioned above applies, great. If this doesn't work then it will require a servicing. You ought to be able to locate someone in the States who can accomplish such.

Good Luck & let us know how you progress.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently had a similar experience with one of those scopes. A friend inherited the darn thing and it was a piece of junk. The windage and elevation rings worked ok, but the focus ring would not move at all. I did everything but put a pipe wrench on it and could not budge it.

The thing was so out of focus that I had to use 2 diopter reading glasses to shoot it. The scope would NOT hold zero. The crosshairs were all fuzzy looking and looked lke they could break at any time. It took a VERY strong hand to move the power adjustment, etc. etc.

We gave up on the thing and replaced it with a new Leupold. The gun (a nice Mark V Weatherby manufactured in Germany) now shoots fine.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerry:

Great help! Thank you. We do have a very talented individual in the area who works on rifles, shotguns and scopes. I will take the scope and your recommendations to him today.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank everyone who responded for thier great help. May not have the problem totally solved but did receive a suggestion from David Duffey, of Leroy's Gun Shop in Oldham SD from whom I bought the rifle and scope. David suggested, "I think from past experence", to heat the turrets with the wife's hair dryer. After approximately 30 mins. "things" began to move. At the present after 30 mins, all adjustment are working as if new. Thanks David.

one of us
posted Hide Post
David,

Fantastic!

thumb

I didn't want to take you down that path; hoping that someone who has done this before would do it for you.

There are some who don't comprehend the fine nuances between Mom's Hairdryer & an Industrial Grade Air Gun.....considering if a little is good then a lot must be better.....

Anyway, you are definately one successful experience richer!

Well Done!

Now you're gonna have to get it on paper - let us know how she shoots when you get all the Bits & Pieces back together?

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote