Find
Notify
Tools

10X Binocular recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I need a new pair of do everything binoculars. I'd like them to be 10X and light enough to carry and use all day without giving up too much light gathering ability. I'm thinking that 40mm or 42mm lenses are what I want but I'm no expert in optics.

So you guys with the experience, what do you recommend for a $1,500 budget?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good morning,
Our pleasure to discuss different options with you.
In your price range I would suggest GPO Passion HD which have been field tested to be superior to the Leica Trinovid, or the Kowa Genesis GN44-10 10.5x44
Either of these would be a top choice that you would be thrilled with.

Please check out this review from another forum:
Kowa Binocular review

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3699 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A little bit over your budget, but the Zwarovski SLC 10x42 WB HD is probably the best binos in that price segment.
www.eurooptic.com has them for $1799, and there is no doubt in my mind that they are worth every cent.

I have used those for a year now alongside binos from Zeiss and Steiner, and the Zwaro is my favourite go everywhere and do everything binos.
Buy them and you will never look back.
https://www.eurooptic.com/swar...-58305-new-2013.aspx

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Swarovski is a great binocular that can come close to your budget. Call us to discuss this Smiler

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3699 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tract Toric will set you back $600 or so. You'll have to spend $1500 to beat it, and then it won't be by much. I've had them side by side with SLC HD's, Razor HD's, Meopta Meostar HD's, Gold Ring HD's, Conquest HD's, and it's better than all of them except the SLC HD's, and it's very, very close. You can even test drive them for a couple of weeks and if you don't like them, send them back.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
Tract Toric will set you back $600 or so. You'll have to spend $1500 to beat it, and then it won't be by much. I've had them side by side with SLC HD's, Razor HD's, Meopta Meostar HD's, Gold Ring HD's, Conquest HD's, and it's better than all of them except the SLC HD's, and it's very, very close. You can even test drive them for a couple of weeks and if you don't like them, send them back.

Have you checked out the GPO Passion HD's? I think you'll find these to be right there with the SLC's and they run under $1,000.00

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gr8fuldoug:
quote:

Have you checked out the GPO Passion HD's? I think you'll find these to be right there with the SLC's and they run under $1,000.00

The issue with those, besides the fact that I've never heard of them, is that they are all 50 mm objective lenses and weigh almost a kilo each.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are offered in:
8x42 HD
10x42 HD
8.5x50 HD
10x50 HD
&
12.5x50 HD

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having owned and used binoculars from Leica, Zeiss, and Swarovski, I would say that your own eyes are truly experts in binoculars, scopes, and eyeglasses.

Do yourself a favor and go to the nearest full service sporting store that sells every single brand of binocular in your price range. Look through every single one of them and compare them to each other. Listen to your eyes. They will tell you which is best for you.

Then if you want to Order a pair do so, but make sure to buy something from the full service shop for the time they spent with you.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks, the issue is that no store here in town carries the higher end binoculars in stock. I can get the lower end rifle scopes here of these brands but not binos.

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are several issues that signify good optics, among others is the overall craftmanship, including top end glass, mecanical sturdiness of the whole construction, how user friendly it is, and the guarantee.

The Swarovski I mentioned is top end binoculars.
Others may come close in one ore more aspect, but it is the sum of all this that matter.
Bird wathing friends of mine all use Zwaros, and those guys know a thing or two about binos Wink

I tested several binos before I ended up with the Swaro 10x42 as the best for me in this size and price segment.
This is a pair of binoculars that will stay with me for many years to come

I am a Zeiss man when it comes to riflescopes, but in my humble opinion (wich is backed up by severals good hunting partners) Zwarovski have the edge when binoculars are on the stake

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
personally I find the 10x42 class binoculars a bit heavy on the neck and a little big as they can get in the way.

I much prefer the 10x32 class binoculars for carry purposes. In Alpha glass (Swaro, Leica, Zeiss) they are still plenty superb and will take you down to low light.

I have both 8x32 and 10x32 Zeiss FL Victory bins and they are great.

One point of note: if you wear glasses, the Zeiss have the longest eye relief which can make a difference using them with glasses. When I bought my Zeiss I was wearing glasses full time (I've had Lasik since).

I give the edge to Leica and Swaro for better glass and coatings...Zeiss ranking a close third.

Good luck!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gr8fuldoug:
quote:

Have not seen the GPO's, but the Toric is reportedly just as good (Birdforum) for 40% less money. Just for the record, I own/have owned many "alpha" binos (I'm an optics slob) and if you're willing to pony up the $$$$ the Swaro SL SV's have no peer, but they are $2300 or so. I used to own Leica stuff and they do have some great glass and are built as good as anything, but they're warrany is pathetic (non transferrable) and customer service here in the USA is very much hit and miss.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
For my purposes, weight is the most important factor and I am most impressed with the humble Nikon Prostaff 10x42 binos my wife bought me.

On our kitchen scales they weigh about 600 grams (c. 21 ounces) with no lens covers. My Bushnell Excursion 8x42s might only weigh 10% more at 660 grams (23.3 ounces), but I can really feel the difference around my neck - and the vision is much better with the Nikons.

Clicking on the links above tells me that the GPO binos weigh 880 grams (31 ounces) and the Leicas 34.5 ounces (975 grams)! While I'd expect superlative optical quality from the Leicas, I'd hate to carry the damned things too far, even with some whiz-bang harness.

No, I have no monetary interest in Nikons - you might recall I have been highly critical of the tunnel vision in their Monarch 4-16x42 scope, bought for my 270WSM.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The more I shop and read, the more confused that I get.

I use a harness for binoculars so 750 grams doesn't seem to bother me.

I'm probably going to have to wait until I visit a Bass Pro Shop in SoCal or another bigger store and look through some.

Thanks for all the input.

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
Having owned and used binoculars from Leica, Zeiss, and Swarovski, I would say that your own eyes are truly experts in binoculars, scopes, and eyeglasses.

Do yourself a favor and go to the nearest full service sporting store that sells every single brand of binocular in your price range. Look through every single one of them and compare them to each other. Listen to your eyes. They will tell you which is best for you.

Then if you want to Order a pair do so, but make sure to buy something from the full service shop for the time they spent with you.

This is Exactly what I did. And to my eyes the 10x42 Zeiss were a bit brighter & clearer than the Swaros in 10x40ish size.

Posts: 2360 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Buy some used Swarovski EL 10x40's

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 50 years ago I inherited a Bausch&Lomb Zephyr 8x30 binocular. I have used these without complaint for all of these years. They are truly lightweight for being a porro prism, because most of the metal in it is magnesium- a fairly expensive metal when these were made in 1949. About 20 years ago I got a Zeiss 10x40. It is a very good glass, though slightly heavier than the B&L. My son uses it. It is made in Germany and I understand the present production of Zeiss for the USA is made in the USA, so I don't know how current production rates. If Current production is similar to this German glass, then I recommend it.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a Swarovski and you are set for life on binos.
I have a 10x32 EL and use it for bowhunting in the Midwest, mountain rifle hunting and African planes game. For me it does it all and is semi compact and not overly heavy.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2648 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank

What did you end up doing, or are you still shopping?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just saw this thread. I have a Canon 10x Image stabilizer pair of binoculars. I LOVE them! I bought it when I came back from Africa (on my one and only trip) and the PH had a pair!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Guys, I still haven't made it down to one of the big stores to try them out, I've been working too much.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are hunting in weather you might want to consider a unit with hydrophic lens coatings Swar, Zeiss and Leica all offer them.
I have owned all three of the manufacturers and they are all very good. My son know has the Swao's and the Zeiss and one pair of Leica "vintage" trinovids. I hated parting with those..
I am now a devout Leica owner *All Ultravids 8X32, 10X42 HD+ and 12X50HD.
Thay all are generally more compact than the new bridged models which never really appealed to me.
I can also look just a few degrees off straight into the sun with no flare with the new HD+'s. Never had a pair of binocs that I could come close to doing that with. Sure is a + when you are trying to make something out at sun rise and sun set looking in that direction.
I believe Leica has the most robust build quality "my experience".
I had issues with the Swaros with allignment if knocked around much. Swaro always fixed them fast and at no cost but hunting in tough terrain your stuff needs to be durable. Never knocked a Leica out of allignment.
They all have great glass. Just look beyond the glass. Swaro does have great eye relief.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:

Very wise words.

When I was in the market for binoculars I did exactly that. I had the salesman put each brand I was interested in on the counter and tried them.

In the end for me the Swarovski SLC 10x42 WB HD's were the ones I chose. I wear glasses which plays a big part in finding a suitable pair. But your eyes may be different. The only way to know is to try them. I went to Cabelas.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank,
I'm in the same boat as you and I'm wrestling with straight 10 x 42 or 10 x 42 w/ rangefinder.

I just spent the day at DSC handling all the different ones. To me, the Swaro's, either the 10 x 42 EL or the 10 x 42 EL w/ rangefinder were hands down the clearest and best handling. But neither fit the $1500 budget. The next best was the Leica 10 x 42 2200-R with the rangefinder, although they felt a little odd with their tube twist. But a real standout was the new Leica Noctivid. They were really clear and handled really well, but also above the budget.

In the next tier, which fits your budget is the Swaro SLC and the Leica Ultravid. I think you'd be pleased with either.

Unfortunately, the Zeiss never felt that good to me. I also had some bad reflection/flare with them (it may have been because of lighting behind me from a nearby booth). I also soured on Zeiss when they quit servicing some of the Conquest scopes. I have a couple of 3.5- 10 x 44 scopes that they no longer offer reticle changes for. Sort of pisses me off when I spent $600- $700 for a scope (actually 3 of them) and find the mfr turned their back on them in under 5 years.

My recommendation is to hang in there and buy the top tier when you're ready. Buy once, cry once.

Posts: 521 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input all.

I made it down to Bass Pro yesterday as I had some business near Ontario Ca. and looked at half a dozen different binoculars. I actually like the Swaro SLC for the best combination of quality and weight but they didn't have an Leicas to try out.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be glad to hook you up with one, please give us a call Smiler

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
stick with the swaro leicas warranty service sucks. also give a thought to one of the little 8x25 or 10x25 that fit in your shirt pocket - while not for extended use of the bigger ones they sure are handy for 98% of the time

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote