New
Find
Notify
Tools

opinion of zeiss terra
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i'm thinking of buying a zeiss terra 4-12x42 for a 308 rifle.what are the opinions of these scopes any good or waste of money

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
IMO you would be much better served with a Leopold VX-6 - preferably illuminated - in the 2-12x model. And you'll be much happier in the long run.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I would be happier but this is a budget issue Zeiss is 350 compared to vx6 at 800

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Believe me, I understand the financials and remember well when I had to save to buy a quality top of the line Leupold. I can truthfully say it was always worth the wait. I have rifles still sporting Leupolds I bought 40 years ago.

Some very well known writers and international hunters have often made the statement that the optics on a hunting rifle should cost at least as much as the rifle and perhaps more. If there is anyway you can wait on your optics purchase, I would encourage you to do so.

If you can't wait, consider a new Leupold VX-3 and if that is still too much, look for a used VX-3 - there are frequently some on the for sale forum here on AR. You can send it to Leupold for a service check and it won't cost you a cent under their any owner lifetime warranty and you will receive it back promptly.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I had a look at the Terra in a shop but was not impressed. The lenses looked clear enough but the field blending was dreadful. As Lionhunter suggests, I'd go with the Leupold - unless you can afford a Zeiss Victory.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the one part i didn't add is this not a gun going out hunting regular. Kinda hunting this as a nostalgia it was my dad's rifle .I have 2 other deer rifles that do majority of my hunting

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Leupold VX-3 in 3.5-10x40 would come closer to the budget, and still blows the Terra away in function and reliability. IMHO.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For your budget I would find a used VX-3 3.5-10x40, watch the classifieds here or 24hourcampfire and find one for around $400.

Leupold has a great warranty so no worries if you are not the original owner.

Also when you get the bucks for a $$$ skip the vx-6 and get a Swarovski! I have both and will buy another Swarovski before a VX-6

Posts: 142 | Location: Ventura county California | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Terra is Zeiss entry level and is made in Japan. It honestly doesn't compare with the original German optics.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Terra was a mistake from Zeiss people, Duralyt or the discontinued line "Classic" are better option if You cant reach the Victory line, even the modest Conquest assembled in USA are better choice than Terra line. Otherwise go for a Zeiss Victory, Duralyt, Leupold, Khales, S&B or Swaro from sample list of SWFA. Good luck. G

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Maybe the Duralyt has better lenses, GA, but, from a tunnel-vision perspective, I think it is even worse than the Terra, esp. when you get the illuminated version with the battery crap sitting straight above. The Conquests I've seen were a bit better.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the good news: Leupold scopes have a simple, forever warranty. I'd shop for a used one, knowing if it has issues, Leupold will fix or replace it for free.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have had 2 Ziess Terra's. Optics are crisp and clear, operation is good, however it is heavier by several ounces than a Leupold 3-9 or a 3.5-10 and I see no appreciable difference between it and a Leupold VX2, 3-9x40.
Myself I will stay with the Leupold. The VX2, 3-9x40 can be had for about 300$ and the Ziess Terra is about 350$.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
i have a couple Leupold 6.5x20 AO scopes, and a couple Zeiss conquest 3x9 and a Zeiss 6.5x20 target several pre-monarch nikons, and a gaggle of lesser scopes.

In daylight the Zeiss and Leupold are equal scopes. (although I've needed warranty work on one of the Leupolds) In fading light, the last few minutes before the end of legal shooting hours, I have to give Zeiss the edge.

For me, all things being equal, if the choice was between the Terra and a Leupold the Leupold wins. Between a Conquest and a Leupold, it would be a toss-up. Price then would make that call.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
I had a look at the Terra in a shop but was not impressed. The lenses looked clear enough but the field blending was dreadful. As Lionhunter suggests, I'd go with the Leupold - unless you can afford a Zeiss Victory.

But...wait...what about your "image-movement is rubbish" notion? A Zeiss Victory is one of the Alpha scopes!